Products > Computers

Do NOT buy HP products

<< < (13/14) > >>

madires:

--- Quote from: SilverSolder on June 13, 2021, 12:31:30 pm ---Well, yes and no.  I still buy manufacturer's ink for my HP inkjet, because the cartridges "just work", generally -  but I buy old stock cheap on eBay.  - I have had a lot of bad experience with "generic" ink cartridges.  In fairness, I haven't tried any for several years, maybe they've improved.

--- End quote ---

Alternative ink and toner cartridges are a mixed bag. You can get everything from the cheapest junk to reasonable priced high quality cartridges from known brands. Sometimes the alternative ink/toner is ever better than the genuine one. If you print a lot and prefer an ink based printer choose one with large tanks which are easy refill with less expensive ink.

SilverSolder:

--- Quote from: madires on June 13, 2021, 02:56:20 pm ---
--- Quote from: SilverSolder on June 13, 2021, 12:31:30 pm ---Well, yes and no.  I still buy manufacturer's ink for my HP inkjet, because the cartridges "just work", generally -  but I buy old stock cheap on eBay.  - I have had a lot of bad experience with "generic" ink cartridges.  In fairness, I haven't tried any for several years, maybe they've improved.

--- End quote ---

Alternative ink and toner cartridges are a mixed bag. You can get everything from the cheapest junk to reasonable priced high quality cartridges from known brands. Sometimes the alternative ink/toner is ever better than the genuine one. If you print a lot and prefer an ink based printer choose one with large tanks which are easy refill with less expensive ink.

--- End quote ---

I'm keeping an older model alive, one that can print on CDs...   I have some older cars that only accept CDs, and it is kind of retro cool so I like to serve them what they like! 

Raj:
Sure, they did kill their prebuilt computer division, but their shareholders must be pretty happy with how their printer division is making money.
In the end, company exists for shareholders and HP won cause I see their printers everywhere, and more than any other brand.

AaronLee:

--- Quote from: HighVoltage on June 06, 2021, 12:58:38 pm ---I have heard this about Lenovo Thinkpads before as well. I have used only the professional "W" series Thinkpads and never had any problems at all. Maybe the EliteBooks are good but after so much bad experience with HP consumer products, I have not even trusted to buy an EliteBook.

... but I just bought an HP product:
The HP Calculator 11C what an amazing little calculator of the Hewlett-Packard Voyager series. 

Oh wait .... its from 1982.... the good old days!

--- End quote ---

Yes, I had an HP16C in the same form factor as the 11C and totally loved that calculator. I used it to death and bought a spare out of fear the original would break down and I couldn't replace it, but it just kept on going. Before that I had an HP41C which was also great. And I had the original HP LaserJet from the mid 1980's. That thing was built like a tank, and weighed like one. It likely would have kept on going, but unfortunately my office got flooded which flooded out the HP, and with the insurance payoff I got an HP Laserjet IIP, which was better feature-wise, but already I felt the build quality was declining. Later on I bought an HP laptop, but was very disappointed and I've mostly avoided HP ever since.

I always associated the HP name with the original company and their well-built products, so it was sad to see them split off the test gear to the Agilent name, and then further on to Keysight. It would have been much better in my view for the HP name to have gone with the test equipment, and a new name for the computer gear.

voltsandjolts:
A few of those HP calculators are still available new, in cloned form, using STM32 micros I believe.
https://www.swissmicros.com/products

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version