Author Topic: Dual Boot: Windows 10 + Windows 10 Will Microsoft Care?  (Read 688 times)

Online edpalmer42Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Dual Boot: Windows 10 + Windows 10 Will Microsoft Care?
« on: February 11, 2023, 06:40:20 pm »
My computer has a legal copy of Win 10 Pro.  It's an old system that doesn't support NVME boot.  I'm planning on implementing one of the workarounds to allow NVME boot and doing a fresh install on an NVME drive.  This will leave my existing system on my old drive and my new system on the NVME drive.  Normally, Microsoft doesn't care about a fresh install, but what if I end up going back and forth between the old and new versions?  The hardware fingerprints will be identical but the OS will be different.  Will Microsoft care?

Ed

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Dual Boot: Windows 10 + Windows 10 Will Microsoft Care?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 10:09:30 pm »
Windows 10 is like a nasty pathogen. It doesn't care much about how and why you got it, as long as it infects your computer.

:-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 03:35:19 am »
So then infecting the same computer twice would be a major win!   :-+ :-DD

Offline 50ShadesOfDirt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 04:49:35 pm »
It's generally better to pull the old drive, such that the OS install knows about and writes only to the new NVME drive. If you don't pull the old one, you'll sometimes have critical OS files from the new install pointing at the old drive.

Once everything is done on the install of the new OS (reusing your license key), then you can plug the old OS drive back in, accessing the files on it, if needed. Just need to make sure that the PC is booting only from the new drive, not the old one (fiddle with your bios settings).

If you try to "dual-boot" amonst the two OS's, it could get complicated and messy ... if you want a real clean solution to this, I would put the old drive in an external drive shoebox, and then it plugs in like a USB device to access files. If you really had to boot from it, a few bios setting changes, and you can boot from the external USB drive.

Hope this helps ...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 07:36:37 pm »
It's generally better to pull the old drive, such that the OS install knows about and writes only to the new NVME drive. If you don't pull the old one, you'll sometimes have critical OS files from the new install pointing at the old drive.

I don't see how that could happen.  I'll boot from the flash drive that I created with the OS installer on it.  Then I'll install on the new drive.  The presence of another Windows directory on another drive won't matter to the new installation.  That's the only way I can do it since I'm using a work-around to boot from the NVME drive in the first place.  It gets rather complicated.   ::)

Once everything is done on the install of the new OS (reusing your license key), then you can plug the old OS drive back in, accessing the files on it, if needed. Just need to make sure that the PC is booting only from the new drive, not the old one (fiddle with your bios settings).

If you try to "dual-boot" amonst the two OS's, it could get complicated and messy ... if you want a real clean solution to this, I would put the old drive in an external drive shoebox, and then it plugs in like a USB device to access files. If you really had to boot from it, a few bios setting changes, and you can boot from the external USB drive.

Yes, that's probably the best way to do it.  Thanks for the reality check.

Ed

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 07:45:07 pm »

I don't see how that could happen.  I'll boot from the flash drive that I created with the OS installer on it.  Then I'll install on the new drive.  The presence of another Windows directory on another drive won't matter to the new installation.

Or so you think. ::)

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 08:13:46 pm »

I don't see how that could happen.  I'll boot from the flash drive that I created with the OS installer on it.  Then I'll install on the new drive.  The presence of another Windows directory on another drive won't matter to the new installation.

Or so you think. ::)

I can assure you it can happen. Experienced such a messup a few times.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 02:09:45 pm »
Will Microsoft care?

By default Windows has a single CPU license.

So the other one is clearly an old backup.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf