Products > Computers

eDP cable for "upgraded" Thinkpad T420 LCD

(1/2) > >>

steve30:
My Thinkpad T420 has previously been upgraded with a board which converts the standard LVDS display signal into an eDP signal. Unfortunately the cable seems to have gone bad and I'm not sure what I need to look for as a replacement.

The connector on one end is the standard 30pin eDP connector, but the connector on the other end is 40 pin. Do I just look on ebay for a 30pin to 40pin eDP cable? See attachment to see the connectors.

It may seem obvious to some people but laptops have so many weird combinations of connectors, and mod boards like this can only serve to complicate matters.

For reference, here is an example of the LVDS to eDP mod board: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234900511350

Thanks
steve30

SiliconWizard:
I happen to have made this mod on a T420s a few years ago!
Actually in my case, I think the eDP cable has been getting bad over time - the image now tends to have some occasional grayish artefacts on the left side, which disappear when I twist the bottom left of the display a bit where the cable goes. Haven't investigated the issue more than this yet.
But I was certainly happy with the mod at the time, allowed me to install a FHD IPS panel instead of the original panel which was meh.

steve30:
A previous owner of mine did the mod with a 1920x1080 panel (so an upgrade over the original), but they used a TN panel which had terrible colour and terrible viewing angles. I have just replaced it with an IPS panel which cost about £40 on ebay and is much better. The issue with the cable started a while back. I have to keep moving it around to stop the image from disappearing.

james_s:
This is intriguing, I'm typing this right now on a T420 which is a great machine but the display is pretty crap. I'd love to swap in a more modern IPS panel.

steve30:
james_s: It is a worthwhile upgrade, and 1920x1080 IPS panels are quite cheap now, here is the ebay link for the one I got: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272486689947

You just need to try and install the LVDS to eDP converter board which you have to get from eBay or Aliexpress. I believe they include the cables.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version