Author Topic: Enable Linux on your Chromebook  (Read 2562 times)

Offline techman-001Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • Electronics technician for the last 50 years
    • Mecrisp Stellaris Unofficial UserDoc
Enable Linux on your Chromebook
« on: September 19, 2019, 04:22:29 am »
Getting a new  Linux laptop is harder and harder these days with some high end Windows10 laptops having a Windows ONLY BIOS that needs to be replaced before anyone can install another OS. Other laptops have password protected GPU's or Windows only hardware.

I'm still using a Lenovo X61S notebook made in 2000 because of the Linux friendly design. It runs MX Linux.

However Chromebooks seem to have changed this situation with a easy to enable Linux facility

A friend bought a Asus Chromebook C523 for $289 USD at Amazon recently: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KY8QV1D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details
and found that to run native Debian Linux apps all you have to do is the following:

Chrome Book startup-> Settings->
    Linux(Beta)
    Turn on
    Install (will download 300mb of data)

Installing Linux …Starting Linux container

CLI
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install <whatever>

<whatever> appears in the Chrome Book menu after install

Some stats from her Chromebook.
uname -a
Linux penguin 4.19.44-04937-gd773af751792 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 8 21:43:29 PDT 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Her disk stats after installing Linux Hexchat using the above.
5gb in use; 46.7gb available

The following users thanked this post: Rick Law, worsthorse

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
Re: Enable Linux on your Chromebook
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 04:28:32 am »
Interesting...  Thanks, I was just thinking about getting a Chrome book as my backup since my XP backup laptop went on strike.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 09:44:34 am »
I installed "Gallium" (a linux variant) on a low-end refurbished chromebook (~$100.)It was scary as hell ("stuff some aluminum foil in this connector to write-enable the bios flash, so that you can install a new one"), but not really "difficult."  ("Just follow the instructions you found on the web.")  Fun, essentially...

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 09:52:33 am »
I installed "Gallium" (a linux variant) on a low-end refurbished chromebook (~$100.)It was scary as hell ("stuff some aluminum foil in this connector to write-enable the bios flash, so that you can install a new one"), but not really "difficult."  ("Just follow the instructions you found on the web.")  Fun, essentially...

Running it in a Chroot or on the bare metal ?

A new Chromebook enabling Linux via a container is childs play as detailed in my post, but it may not be available on older models such as yours, and of course it won't replace Chrome, the two just coexist.

Of course Chrome is Linux anyway under the covers.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 02:27:47 am »
Getting a new  Linux laptop is harder and harder these days with some high end Windows10 laptops having a Windows ONLY BIOS that needs to be replaced before anyone can install another OS. Other laptops have password protected GPU's or Windows only hardware.

However Chromebooks seem to have changed this situation with a easy to enable Linux facility

A friend bought a Asus Chromebook C523 for $289 USD at Amazon recently: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KY8QV1D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Update:

Kicad (schematic capture and PCB layout) works fine on the Chromebook, she only had to install the Debian Kicad package under Debian with "apt-get install kicad"

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 08:02:19 am »
Samsung Chromebooks have the pen  :o :o :o

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 09:36:25 am »
Samsung Chromebooks have the pen  :o :o :o

But only the high-end configurations which are priced at $600, right? The budget $300 version or the compact $200 model don't come with a pen from what I can see, and probably don't even support one?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf