Products > Computers

Fastest Motherboard / Processor with PCI slot

<< < (4/4)

nctnico:
AFAIK the higher end (professional) workstations you can buy new today still come with a PCI slot.

Berni:
Intel Haswell has no problems at all with Windows 7. It will install from the official CD just fine.

At about Intel Kaby Lake and later is where you start having problems with stock Win 7. It might work out of the box on some motherboards, but might not get trough the installation on some others. Problems are also PCIe SSDs and such. For those the trick is to get one of those Windows 7 8 10 combined installation disks. No matter what windows version you chose they are all installed using the Windows 10 installer, just being fed the files for the older windows release. So this means you have the newer driver support of the Win 10 installer that will work on every new PC. Once it installs and boots into Win 7 you can manually install any other drivers that are missing or don't work.

Tho driver support is being dropped. For example Intel does not support integrated graphics for Skylake KabbyLake on Win 7. The installer will refuse to install, but there is a hacked version of the installer that skips the OS check, installs anyway and works fine.

EDIT: Sorry its at KabbyLake and not Skylake where the integrated graphics drivers for Win7 end.

LeonR:
I'm aware of those, at least some of them. I tried some when I got my Dell 7567 (7th gen i7)... spent a lot of time and didn't get the results I expected.

I suggest using hardware that have official support rather than having to resort to hacks/edits, especially on a machine that's intended for production.

iMo:

--- Quote from: Berni on January 17, 2020, 02:36:10 pm ---Tho driver support is being dropped. For example Intel does not support integrated graphics for Skylake on Win 7. The installer will refuse to install, but there is a hacked version of the installer that skips the OS check, installs anyway and works fine.

--- End quote ---
I've been using win7 on Skylake. Only Intel integrated graphics inside the box. Works fine..

Berni:

--- Quote from: imo on January 18, 2020, 04:30:32 pm ---
--- Quote from: Berni on January 17, 2020, 02:36:10 pm ---Tho driver support is being dropped. For example Intel does not support integrated graphics for Skylake on Win 7. The installer will refuse to install, but there is a hacked version of the installer that skips the OS check, installs anyway and works fine.

--- End quote ---
I've been using win7 on Skylake. Only Intel integrated graphics inside the box. Works fine..

--- End quote ---

Checked again and sorry i got the cutting off point wrong by one generation. Skylake does indeed still have Windows 7 support, its the next one KabbyLake that has official integrated graphics drivers available only for Windows 10 at the moment (Not even Win 8.1)

But as people said its not just this. You might have problems with disk drives and USB and all that. Still all of it is fixable but takes some extra work and knowledge to get it working.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version