Products > Computers

Feedback on Win 11?

<< < (4/5) > >>

xrunner:
I was just researching over the last fews days what exactly I need to do to replace a MOBO or CPU when the system is using active fTPM (internal to CPU) or a TPM device on the MOBO and Winows 11. Why am I doing this?

A. This weekend I'm going to swap out the motherboard on my "main" Windows 11 PC. I want an M.2 nvme device and current MOBO lacks this capability

B. Later this year I will also upgrade the CPU and the fTPM function would have to be restarted on the new CPU.

From the understanding I got from several sources the "wrapper key" the TPM uses to keep other keys safe is generated from a unique number assigned to each TPM and from information gathered from the current computer system BIOS and hardware. This then provides the unique fingerprint for each person's system. As usual, if my understanding of that is flawed please let me know.

Nevertheless, in order to do this with the least amount of irritating/confusing error messages, you still need to do the following from the research I have done -

1.Turn off all Windows Hello sign in options (Facial, Fingerprint, and PIN); these are dependant on the TPM. Your Windows sign-in password is not dependant on TPM.
2.Clear TPM using tpm.msc app or the security center from within Windows
3.Reboot into BIOS, disable TPM function
4.Reboot and check logging in to Windows is OK (password)
5.Turn off system
6.Swap CPU or MOBO
7.Turn on PC, check logging into Windows is OK
8.Restart PC, enter BIOS, turn on TPM
9.Reboot
10.Set up Windows Hello log in options if any (Facial, Fingerprint, or PIN)

At this point I am sitting at step 4, no problems or errors at all were observed. I plan to swap the MOBO Saturday morning so we'll see how it goes then ...  :popcorn:

SilverSolder:

--- Quote from: Bicurico on May 15, 2022, 01:41:57 pm ---[...]
And yes, after some weeks you just resign and accept it.

--- End quote ---

Or, you keep using Windows 7 and moan!  :D

Mechatrommer:

--- Quote from: SilverSolder on May 26, 2022, 01:46:52 pm ---
--- Quote from: Bicurico on May 15, 2022, 01:41:57 pm ---[...]
And yes, after some weeks you just resign and accept it.

--- End quote ---
Or, you keep using Windows 7 and moan!  :D

--- End quote ---
20yrs WinXP user here, 2yrs Win7, and now moving to Win10 just because i need the built in mixed reality environment, my next OS maybe is Win13 or Win17.. if i still live to see it...

Bicurico:
There is a real risk in using older Windows versions for which Microsoft discontinued the release of security patches.

Also, you may need to use software that requires newer Windows versions.

I don't think that it is wise to use Windows XP or Windows 7 with computers connected to the internet.

Ian.M:
Carefully decrapified Windows 10 + OpenShell + 7+ Taskbar Tweaker is quite tolerable for long-term Windows XP or 7 power users who prefer a classic windows UI.  You can even fairly trivially reactivate the QuickLaunch toolbar, which I have been using for a curated set of utilities I very frequently use since the days of Win98, and prefer to pinning stuff to the taskbar, though I do pin there stuff temporarily.   

However Windows 11 + those utilities is a whole different kettle of fish, and rather unfresh fish at that!   To get OpenShell to 'play well' with it, and and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to work at all, you have to revert it to the Windows 10 UI e.g. using ExplorerPatcher, and unfortunately the settings it tweaks for Win10 compatibility are per machine not per user, so you cant easily share a PC with anyone who *likes* and wants the new Windows 11 UI. :( 

With the additional barrier of MS's Win11 min. processor and TPM shenanigans, when Win10 goes out of support, I'll probably migrate to Linux with a bunch of Windows software under WINE or in a VM, rather than upgrading to Win11 capable  hardware, as I'm committed to *NOT* contributing to Microsoft's SaaS/WaaS revenue stream.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version