Author Topic: Firefox released v100  (Read 1200 times)

Online SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Firefox released v100
« on: May 03, 2022, 06:50:16 pm »
Yeah, freaking idiotic versioning scheme. Still don't know what is new compared to v99. :-DD
All that to "keep up" with Chrome which uses the same idiotic versioning scheme.

Just some rant :D. I find it annoying as a sign of how low the software industry has sunk in some ways.

That said, I'm still using Firefox as it's the least evil IMHO. But as it has lost a lot of "market share" and is now almost becoming a niche browser, I think Mozilla should take it has a hint to come to senses rather than trying to mimick the giant that is likely to eventually crush it completely anyway.

Ahah, yeah. Rant.

Offline Coordonnée_chromatique

• Regular Contributor
Re: Firefox released v100
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 07:16:33 pm »
Hello, i often release my technical drawings like that because points in the file name are not alowed with some old CNC devices.
But, in my head a v100 is a V1.0.0 IRL  :-//
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:20:47 pm by Coordonnée_chromatique »

Online floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 07:37:07 pm »
Na Firefox it's an evil browser for a while now, just enjoy hour spent in about:config disabling telemetry, fingerprinting, look ahead etc.
google has a contract giving $400M/year to Mozilla https://www.pcmag.com/news/mozilla-signs-lucrative-3-year-google-search-deal-for-firefox
"In return for Google being the default search engine in Firefox, Mozilla is expected to bank $400M+ a year."

Do you really think it's worth $400M/yr just for that?

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 07:52:38 pm »
Na Firefox it's an evil browser for a while now, just enjoy hour spent in about:config disabling telemetry, fingerprinting, look ahead etc.
google has a contract giving $400M/year to Mozilla https://www.pcmag.com/news/mozilla-signs-lucrative-3-year-google-search-deal-for-firefox
"In return for Google being the default search engine in Firefox, Mozilla is expected to bank $400M+ a year."

Do you really think it's worth $400M/yr just for that?

Definitely.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 07:51:43 am »
Me too.

They need to have proper financed ground.

Mozilla is just the best thing still standing against all privatized things ...

Blender comes second...

Paul

Offline pedro48

• Contributor
  • Black is just White without light
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 10:43:06 am »
Do we have a view on Vivaldi .... ??

Seems pretty solid, Chromium under the hood, with all the Google 'added fruitiness'  removed ...

cheers Pedro

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 11:58:46 am »
Do we have a view on Vivaldi .... ??

Seems pretty solid, Chromium under the hood, with all the Google 'added fruitiness'  removed ...

cheers Pedro
The problem there is, that we already have a very limited number of browser engines. It all boiled down to Chromium and Firefox. And Google uses their power with the Chromium Engine quite a lot. If they implement or remove a feature, it essentially becomes a "standard" right away.
Abandoning Firefox would give all the power to Google.

Not a thing i am looking forward to, but considering the standing of Firefox and their losses of market share, i'm afraid it will just be a matter of time until they also switch to chromium.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 05:58:07 pm »
Yep. We need alternatives. I don't want anything Chromium-based if I can avoid it.

Financing is of course a big issue, and I don't have the right answer. The only thing I can say is that I don't think you need that big an organization as Mozilla to maintain a decent browser, and so you don't need hundreds of millions of dollars. And so, you shouldn't have to resort to "compromising" financing. But all that is easier said than done.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 03:56:06 pm »
it has lost a lot of "market share" and is now almost becoming a niche browser

and that's because they try to copy chrome and their bullshit. who needs both if they are the same?

Offline TechTaco

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 09:05:26 am »

It's like how Microsoft invested $150 million in Apple in 1997 when they were days away from insolvency. Had Apple fallen, Microsoft would have had a total monopoly on the desktop OS market, at a time when the government was already unhappy with how much power they had.

I've noticed with each release, the performance on the https://browserbench.org/Speedometer2.0/ test has been increasing ever so slightly, so it's as if my computer is getting an upgrade just by waiting.  ^-^

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 06:04:19 pm »
I've noticed with each release, the performance on the https://browserbench.org/Speedometer2.0/ test has been increasing ever so slightly, so it's as if my computer is getting an upgrade just by waiting.  ^-^

Just tried on latest Firefox, I get 122 +/- 2.3
On the same computer, out of curiosity, I tried it on Edge. I get 152.1 +/- 1.4
(I am currently on Windows and don't have Chrome or Chromium installed, but I would expect something similar since Edge is based on Chromium AFAIK.)

But that's not going to convince me to switch to Chrome (and even less so Edge).  :popcorn:

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 06:13:18 pm »
I was a Firefox user, then switched to Palemoon but there is a down-spiraling trend towards removing functionalities and bloating and not supporting addons that has basically erased all advantages of using these software.
I was tempted to try Brave, but then I started seeing a lot of Ads of Brave in Youtube and I am getting suspicious...

Anyone here using Brave and can share an opinion?
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 06:23:32 pm »
Brave seems good, but the business model is concerning and I don't like it. It's also Chromium-based.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 01:08:39 pm »
That said, I'm still using Firefox as it's the least evil IMHO. But as it has lost a lot of "market share" and is now almost becoming a niche browser, I think Mozilla should take it has a hint to come to senses rather than trying to mimick the giant that is likely to eventually crush it completely anyway.
True. There is an increasing number of websites that don't or no longer work with Firefox  :rant:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf