Products > Computers

Ground up Linux PC build

<< < (21/21)

John B:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on January 22, 2023, 10:53:49 pm ---KDE tends to be a bit less stable than current Gnome, but a lot more featureful. Gnome still drives me crazy for its rigidity and lack of configurability and very minimal features compared to KDE, but it looks clean and is more stable.

For KDE, I would recommend a distribution that has frequent updates - a rolling release ideally, as KDE plasma is more "bleeding edge" and fixes come relatively quickly, but if you are on a distro that will update the desktop environment very infrequently between major versions, then I'd suggest sticking to Gnome or XFCE. I have Arch on my laptop, and had Gnome for a few years, but recently switched to KDE. I find it eons more usable. But in Arch, we get the very latest version of KDE plasma within just a few days.

XFCE is alright, but very minimal compared to KDE as well. So, your pick. IMHO, only KDE at this point is somewhat "on par" with MacOS or Windows in terms of desktop usability.

--- End quote ---

Yeah the lack of customisation on GNOME is a little disappointing, I was surprised there wasn't a native way to bind the mouse keys as I described - or at least I haven't found a native way. To be fair I'm not sure how universal extra mouse buttons are, and since Solaar is designed to interface with Logitech's proprietary communication protocol, perhaps it's a necessary intermediary.

It's also a shift in my workflow, in the sense of only adding features when I feel I really need them, rather than having a ton of interface features which I don't use. Now with the mouse tweaks I can navigate the open windows using the mouse in a comparable number of steps compared to MacOS or Windows.

Zucca:
Inspired by this thread, my turn

AMD 5900X
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
ASUS PRO WS X570 ACE
2x32 GB ECC RAM UDIMM DDR4 3200MHz
2xNMVE 1TB and 2TB
Corsair HX750 Gold
M6000 Quadro (soon I will upgrade to P6000 Quadro)

al lot of stuff used from Ebay, wish me luck.

Interesting point of view for Archlinux

yes I am a begineer, wish me luck. again...

Ed.Kloonk:

--- Quote from: Zucca on February 27, 2023, 04:06:55 am ---

yes I am a beginner, wish me luck. again...

--- End quote ---

Good luck!

There once were a time where I don't know if I could recommend diving into Arch and setting up a new hardware rig.

That said, hardware is more well-behaved than ever and Arch, too, is very good especially with it's on-line support. Have fun.

:)

John B:
Yeah keep us up to date with the Arch install. I guess the test for me will be when I have to update to Fedora 38, and whether there's any breakage. If that's all easy then I'll sit cozy with Fedora on this machine then perhaps try Arch in a virtual machine when I have the time.....which isn't now.

Zucca:

--- Quote from: Ed.Kloonk on February 27, 2023, 07:28:59 am ---There once were a time where I don't know if I could recommend diving into Arch and setting up a new hardware rig.

--- End quote ---

First memtest86, then W10 (also to check if all the hardware is recognized properly) with prime95 for 24h.
If the above will pass I know I can pull the trigger on Arch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version