Author Topic: [MOVED] Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts  (Read 1652310 times)

Offline dgusev

• Contributor
Re: [MOVED] Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts
« Reply #1575 on: April 01, 2021, 10:36:14 pm »
Yes, it is official now. GTX/RTX is enabled for passthough without modding from R465 beta drivers.

Awesome! Personally I never had code 43 issues, GTX passes through fine and driver doesn't care at all about VM.  :-DD

I think we'll definitely be looking at a more open future of consumer graphics cards. Also, for those of you are working remotely with GeForce cards, Nvidia released a patch you can download called "nvidiaopenglrdp.exe" that enables remote desktop OpenGL for CAD users working remotelye. You'll need to create an Nvidia developer account to download it.

Edit: @dgusev my P106 is broken so I cannot try the 3D enable mod similar to how you did with the Tesla K10. It may work... but for some reason the +5V line is going straight to GND.  :palm:

Looks like capacitor short circuit

Offline krutav

• Contributor
« Reply #1576 on: April 02, 2021, 04:53:43 am »
Looks like capacitor short circuit

Probably is... I don't have schematics for this model so I'll never know. Anyway, I got good use out of it for the $16 it cost to buy P106 back in the day. I don't have any other 3D disabled graphics cards to test with, and I don't see any purpose in shelling out $200+ for a Maxwell Tesla because all these consumer GeForce cards are far better in everything but OpenGL. However, the Nvidia Studio driver which supports Pascal series graphics cards does have some OpenGL optimizations I think, and the performance in Blender is pretty good so I don't worry too much about buying a Quadro just for that OpenGL boost.

As far as the P106 goes, a 12v to 5v step-down converter bust and I'm not sure what that did because the surroundings are in perfect condition. I'll need to get GTX 1060 (Zotac preferably) schematics/boardviews to get a better idea of how to go about fixing it, so I'll be on the lookout for some of these files, and I can get back to experimenting!

One big problem: P106 has no display outputs or NVENC, so I don't see any method of actually enabling normal function with it even if I use the @dgusev vBIOS 3D unlock method...
Edit: Only Quadro can create virtual display instances so there's that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:57:19 am by krutav »

Offline dgusev

• Contributor
« Reply #1577 on: April 04, 2021, 04:10:24 am »
I recently installed Nvidia OpenGL RDP fix that is not required for Quadro cards...  :palm:
So far, before this dumb move from my side, GPU had no issues in virtualized gaming and even CADs. Everything worked as promised.

All kinds of VMs ended up with unfixable Error 43.

Result: bricked vBIOS on GPU #1 (the only that was working hahah). Cannot reflash it using nvflash. Waiting for my CH341 to force flash chip.

Offline keggerbra

« Reply #1578 on: May 27, 2021, 07:46:04 am »
Hello Everyone! My name is Adam, found this thread randomly and thought I would pop in.

This sounds like an amazing project you guys are working on. Has anyone here considered trying to flash or convert an AMD FirePro S9150 series card? I have a few available and would be willing to dedicate them to the effort if anyone is interested.

I have a professional background creating VDI architecture for hospitals and large scale production environments. These cards are currently part of my home lab and I used them for proof of concept for a technology patent. However I’m in the same boat as you guys, I like to try new things and experiment! While I get to work on some serious hardware, I’m limited in my homelab and the current state of GPU availability, application/OS compatibility, and licensing is abysmal. I have various projects on hold due to limited options when it comes to options.

I would love to see the capability of these cards running as mxgpu in VMware ESXi, KVM, Xen and if I can help contribute to make it a possibility, please feel free to contact me or reply. Thanks!!

https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/firepro/firepro-s-series/firepro-s9150

Some more pictures of my cards
https://imgur.com/a/sl6iIDM
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:50:29 am by keggerbra »

Offline krutav

• Contributor
« Reply #1579 on: May 31, 2021, 02:04:04 am »
I would love to see the capability of these cards running as mxgpu in VMware ESXi, KVM, Xen and if I can help contribute to make it a possibility, please feel free to contact me or reply. Thanks!!

Hello Adam,

Unfortunately, the FirePro S9150 is a GCN 2.0 GPU marketed towards VDI, but it does not support SR-IOV. The MxGPU feature requires SR-IOV functionality, which was implemented in the next generation. This new generation is GCN 3.0, more specifically the "Tonga" AMD chip in the FirePro S7150s supports SR-IOV and MxGPU as a result. So you probably aren't going to be able to get MxGPU on S9150 sadly.

There are other options though like VMware vSGA shared graphics, but that is old. New in Microsoft's HyperV is GPU-P which is the successor to RemoteFX and works on most cards, including the FirePro S9150. It works really well, but it's only an option worth considering if your environment is primarily Windows.

Offline gotofbi

• Contributor
« Reply #1580 on: June 04, 2021, 07:31:13 am »
Based on my testing, the internal timer to license requirement starts at 20 minutes of guest VM Nvidia driver running. If you can mask that, you get the features forever. But that is harder to do.

The guest's driver? On a Windows guest? Then here is a crazy idea: Attach CheatEngine to the driver, enable speedhack, speed = 0, done. I have no idea if that could work, it will probably cause other problem though.

Quick tip for anyone whos fighting on the license.

1. Forget about FlexNet. Its not that easy to crack after all

2. When Guest(Windows) enters limited performance mode (after 20min), try to disable the vGPU device in Device Manager and start again.
This will reset 20min timer and gives you big hint that where the 20min gets calculated.
I tested this on vGPU 10.2 driver so not sure about latest vGPU 11 though

Offline gotofbi

• Contributor
« Reply #1581 on: June 04, 2021, 07:34:00 am »
This sounds like an amazing project you guys are working on. Has anyone here considered trying to flash or convert an AMD FirePro S9150 series card? I have a few available and would be willing to dedicate them to the effort if anyone is interested.

I dont think you can make S9150 SR-IOV compatible.

After all, S7150 has special bios for SR-IOV that other card does not have.

My suggestion will be get W7100, put bigger BIOS chip, flash S7150 bios, override PCI-ID in guest OS to allow AMD gpu driver to be installed.

Detailed info can be found here:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/how-to-sr-iov-mod-the-w7100-gpu/164186

Offline krutav

• Contributor
« Reply #1582 on: June 06, 2021, 03:41:50 am »
Quick tip for anyone whos fighting on the license.

1. Forget about FlexNet. Its not that easy to crack after all

So me and some other folks running the vGPU_Unlock Discord server and Wiki have figured out how to bypass the license entirely with "x-pci" QEMU argument. I won't go into details for obvious reasons, but this completely throws away license requirements. Of course, if you want to use vGPU I highly recommend paying Nvidia for it, but yes there is a workaround. I may have posted the Discord link here, though if it isn't there, send me a message.

My suggestion will be get W7100, put bigger BIOS chip, flash S7150 bios, override PCI-ID in guest OS to allow AMD gpu driver to be installed.

If you have a bunch of S9150s lying around, what's the point of spending more money? The MxGPU technology on S7150 is not very advanced and Nvidia vGPU is better than it in many ways. My recommendation for Adam is to use them in standard passthrough mode, that way the cards don't go to waste. With 8 of those GPUs, I don't think GPU mediation is necessary anyways. These S9150s aren't very new, nor that great, but they can be used in a remote gaming or workstation setup I suppose.

Perhaps the best use of those cards is Folding At Home, where you can give unused compute power to help with scientific calculations that can benefit society.

Offline BLEACH

« Reply #1583 on: August 14, 2021, 06:20:43 pm »
Has anyone attempted this on the new 30 series cards ive found the resistors by the bios chip ive unlocked the mismatch id by changing it in the bios but keep getting caught by the certification on nv flash im trying to change device id from 2216 to 2206 with the resistors ?

Offline BLEACH

« Reply #1584 on: August 15, 2021, 05:29:50 pm »
im going to attempt this on a newer 3080 but i noticed in nvflash the eprom always keeps the same id number and ive noticed nividia marks them with different paint so i need to know if anyone has a 3080 450-480 watt model 2206 bios and if they can get me the number nividia use on that exact vbios chip in it i will be replacing it as a second bios replacing the switch and trying different resistors to see if i cange 2216 to 2206 thank you in advance !

Offline Rettep

« Reply #1585 on: October 14, 2021, 01:49:55 am »
Can you do that with the mining P106-100 without having the limitations of the old drivers?

Offline Rettep

« Reply #1586 on: October 17, 2021, 07:19:46 pm »
Can you do that with the mining P106-100 to use it as a normal 1060?

Offline Dave Boechler

« Reply #1587 on: October 25, 2021, 05:13:16 pm »
Have a GTX 690 which resistors have been changed and want to set it back to stock anyone have a picture of the resistor locations and values for a stock GTX 690?

Offline Xii-Nyth

« Reply #1588 on: May 10, 2022, 09:08:55 pm »
Any luck?

Offline Rickochet

« Reply #1589 on: November 03, 2022, 09:48:36 pm »
@Rettep
Any luck? or still going with 422.15 ?
Either this: Directx12 does not crash, but NVDIA control panel does not open: https://github.com/iiiyx/p106-100-p104-100
Or that:   Directx12 games crash,  but NVDIA control panel  opens:  ( change that MShybrid registry key) :   https://youtu.be/dkE4aAVUIzU

I would love to turn P106-100 into a 1060 6GB on a firmware level. Can't we just reprogram the bios EEPROM chips?

Also for some reason my Asus P106-100 has 2 display out ports (DP and HDMI) that are used as screwholes and blocked by the IO-plate. I wonder if I can utilize those ports and get somehow displayoutput from them? ( If the video driver amplifier circuitry is not missing?)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:02:23 pm by Rickochet »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf