Author Topic: [MOVED] Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts  (Read 1650043 times)

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
Re: [MOVED] Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts
« Reply #875 on: December 30, 2013, 12:00:32 am »
I'm pretty sure it is the driver slowing down the 780 to PCIe 1.1 because the hard-strap isn't matching. My 680/K10 had the same issue when soft-modded. When I switched from soft-mod to hard-mod, it went into PCIe 2.0 mode. Keplers require a hard-mod to be properly effective.

Offline Jager

• Contributor
« Reply #876 on: December 30, 2013, 09:26:55 am »
What about hacking driver to enable those blocked features? There is this Different SLI driver version of nvlddmkm.sys(most recent is 320.18, autopatcher for newer ones). Hacked code is after driver code itself and there is modifications done in couple places in original code that checks SLI compatibility, these modification points to added code.

PS.It seems that those Quadro only settings is still not available on control panel after BIOS mods too?

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #877 on: December 30, 2013, 11:49:47 am »
Hacking the driver would, indeed, be the ideal solution, a-la DifferentSLI. If you look at the link to the Xen list a few pages back, I suspect that guy did something similar to neuter a check in the driver for whether to allow virtualized operation or not. Unfortunately he never published the patch or the process to patch future drivers.

Offline vicardomax

« Reply #878 on: January 07, 2014, 04:15:44 am »
Hi all,

Recently I've just bought a Asus GT640-2GD3 thinking that the PCB and resistors placement should be the same as 1GD3 but apparently it's not. I've tried to locate the R1 - R4 eg R543 resistor but I cannot find it on the board. Could you help me out here please to identify the resistors to change this to Grid K1? Thanks a million in advance. I've attached the images as well :) Do kindly let me know if it's not sufficient :)

Offline tallnerd1985

« Reply #879 on: January 13, 2014, 07:03:59 am »
So here is a weird scenario to try out with anybody here that has GTX card modified into a Quadro with a virtualization setup for multiple VMs with VGPU enabled. I know the Keplar based Nvidia cards have a technology called GameStream, formally GRID, that can take any approved games or Steam Big Picture mode and pipe it a Nvidia Shield to play games. I wonder if someone can test this on their modded cards and see if multiple VMs can utilize this function.

I know not everyone can get their hands on a Nvidia Shield but there is a Android and PC app being developed here at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2505510 that works just like the Nvidia Shield and replicates its functions on either another PC or any current Android phone/tablet/TV Console.

Offline mosmo

• Contributor
« Reply #880 on: January 13, 2014, 01:53:33 pm »
So here is a weird scenario to try out with anybody here that has GTX card modified into a Quadro with a virtualization setup for multiple VMs with VGPU enabled. I know the Keplar based Nvidia cards have a technology called GameStream, formally GRID, that can take any approved games or Steam Big Picture mode and pipe it a Nvidia Shield to play games. I wonder if someone can test this on their modded cards and see if multiple VMs can utilize this function.

I know not everyone can get their hands on a Nvidia Shield but there is a Android and PC app being developed here at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2505510 that works just like the Nvidia Shield and replicates its functions on either another PC or any current Android phone/tablet/TV Console.

I pass through my 780ti modded to K6000 to a windows 8.1 vm. Geforce Experience does not support Quadro cards so it wont work.

Offline tallnerd1985

« Reply #881 on: January 14, 2014, 05:50:00 pm »

I pass through my 780ti modded to K6000 to a windows 8.1 vm. Geforce Experience does not support Quadro cards so it wont work.

If maybe the card was modified to a GRID K1 or K2, would that possibly work since that was the sole purpose of the Grid technology?

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #882 on: January 17, 2014, 10:34:01 am »
This is just deliberate incompatibility between GeForce and Quadro introduced so that you can't game on a Quadro and can't virtualize GeForce. There is a device ID whitelist in the driver based on which it decides whether it's going to boot up the GPU correctly or fail with a code 10.

If you want remote gaming, I suggest you look at Kainy. It has clients for Windows, Linux and Android, and will do the same thing.

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #883 on: January 17, 2014, 03:35:23 pm »
Well it's not quite that you cannot game on a Quardo, more like you cannot use the "advanced" gaming gimmicks. Honestly, I wouldn't be missing the functionality of streaming to an nVidia shield. ;) (I wouldn't consider buying one in the first place, to be honest. xD I'm quite alright with my trusty XBox360 controller.)
(By the way I don't know if anyone offered this solution, but the reason GeForce doesn't do surround on Linux is not that they don't think much of Linux. It's quite the opposite. They consider Linux a "professional" platform, ie. the people who want surround on Linux are architects, engineers, etc. working at some design lab running CAD/CAM, and they should buy the more expensive "professional" card.)

Anyway, I was wondering what a Tesla card can do, ie. what do you gain from modding your GeForce to a Tesla, as opposed to a Quadro?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:39:14 pm by Sigmoid »

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #884 on: January 17, 2014, 03:40:14 pm »
AFAICT there is no advantage to Quadro over Tesla, over and above that it is easier to mod in some cases (only one resistor pair to mod instead of 2). I have a 680 modified into a K2 and another modified into a Tesla, and haven't observed any difference in functionality between the two. Both work virtualized which is the only real reason to modify in the first place.

Offline sisteczko

« Reply #885 on: January 21, 2014, 08:07:19 pm »
I'd like to enjoy smooth VGA Passthrough with modded GeForce GTX 680. I've found on local auction Gigabyte model GV-N680OC-2GD (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4178#sp), and I'd like to buy it, if I can have hope to find a place of the resistor, which when removed, would turn this card into Tesla K10.

You know, clueless removing random resistors from the card would hardly do any good ;-)

Thank you for your help.

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #886 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:05 pm »
Go to page 1, post 1, find the link that says 680 has also been hacked. Click on it. Look at the photo in that post. Remove the resistor 3 marked in the photo. If that works fine (it does on my MSI GTX680), you won't have to add a 40K resistor in position marked 2, which means you won't have to remove the heatsink, since resistor 3 is on the back of the PCB.

Offline airthimble

« Reply #887 on: February 08, 2014, 01:48:35 am »
Has anyone investigated if a 780 ti modded to a K6000 has the increased DP performance?

Offline skandal

« Reply #888 on: February 19, 2014, 11:03:21 am »
hello ..
sorry for the mistakes but I'm using a translator to write.

I have a ZOTAC gtx 650ti (gk106 - 11c6) can be changed by changing the resistance in the
Quadro k4000?

Offline karolos71

« Reply #889 on: February 19, 2014, 11:09:25 am »
Hello Kwikit

Why instead building 8 workstations for irey 3ds Max, just build one containing at least 8 graphic cards...
vmware horizon 5.3 and use for example gtx 580 softmoded to tesla M2090, or 680 softmoded ...
for iray it does not matter if the card is connected by 16x pcie or 8x, 4x ,1x ... because all computation made inside the card
I tried and it works well ...
I'm going to waw on Saturday and we can talk about it at midday or later...
It's cheapest solution to use horizon view 5.3 passthrough on softmoded cards

Offline karolos71

« Reply #890 on: February 19, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »
Hello Skandal
It looks possible from my point
As both card are the same family and very close numbers and if you going to use it for passthrou vmware or xen but  I haven't tested
If you change only numbers should pass...
Please let me know how it works

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #891 on: February 19, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »
Why instead building 8 workstations for irey 3ds Max, just build one containing at least 8 graphic cards...
vmware horizon 5.3 and use for example gtx 580 softmoded to tesla M2090, or 680 softmoded ...

Soft-modding doesn't work on 5xx series and later. 4xx series is the latest you can soft-mod. 580, despite it being very similar to the 480, cannot be soft-modded for virtualization passthrough.

Offline karolos71

« Reply #892 on: February 19, 2014, 11:18:25 pm »
I read that someone flashed 580 to tesla M2090 and it pass on xen ...
That's all I need

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #893 on: February 19, 2014, 11:37:43 pm »
You read wrong. They flashed it to a Tesla but to enable the TCC mode.

You can soft-mod the 580 into either a Quadro 7000 or a Tesla M2090, but doing so will not work for passing it to a VM. I did extensive testing with my 580 before I sold it. 480 is the last card that is soft-moddable for VGA passthrough. Modifying the 480 also gets you the dual asynchronous DMA engines, which soft-modding a 580 does not. So if you are purely after a compute job card with non-trivial amounts of bus I/O, 480 is probably still the way forward. For some loads the 480 has also been reported to be considerably faster than the 680.

Offline alex870

« Reply #894 on: February 22, 2014, 01:35:37 pm »
Has anyone investigated if a 780 ti modded to a K6000 has the increased DP performance?

My 780Ti->K6000 is in a VMware ESXi server, so I can run a Win 7 x64 benchmark in that configuration if you like.  I have Sisoft Sandra on the guest already btw.  If you (or others) have an unmodded card, we can compare figures.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:46:14 pm by alex870 »

Offline SansNombre

« Reply #895 on: February 23, 2014, 02:00:04 am »
Newbie question: I am running Solidworks on my PC, but am using a DirectX card (7970 GHz version), and am running relatively slow for that application. I would love an OpenGL card, but the costs . . .

Recently I created a short 13 second video for a client that I had rendered for photorealism and it took 4 hours to process, so I have to do something to speed it up, as I can't have the PC on that process for half the day.

So if I purchased a 680GTX and made the mod described here, how would my Win7 x64 OS view the hardware? As a 680 for DirectX applications and as a K5000 for OpenGL-driven software? Or do you have to select one of the options somehow?

I appreciate the information.

Good work here.

Thanks.

Offline suchipi

« Reply #896 on: February 23, 2014, 02:44:44 am »
I'm in the same situation as skandal, with a 650Ti and wondering if it can be modded into a Quadro K4000 (for Xen VGA Passthrough). Has anyone tried? Is anyone willing to try on my card and ship it back (I could pay you)?

Offline zeroxxorez

« Reply #897 on: March 03, 2014, 09:45:56 pm »
Hi all! First off, amazing work! This is slightly off topic,  but I could really use a hand :-)

I bought a dud gigabyte 670 gtx OC with a bios issue, which I managed to fix by shorting pins 1 and 8 on boot, removing and flashing bios with -4 -5 -6 command. Innitally this worked, but after restarting, the subsystem Id is reading 0000 0000.

Long story short, does anyone have any idea how to correctly set subsystem ID? I can write to the bios fine but for some reason its not correctly setting the subsystem ID...

Thanks in advance!

Offline Luke212

« Reply #898 on: March 06, 2014, 10:11:15 pm »
is anyone going to mod a titan black? it has a pci id of 10DE 100C. is this easier to mod than titan?

Offline combsbj

« Reply #899 on: March 12, 2014, 01:42:36 am »
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card N650-MD1GD5/OC

Any chance someone can help me locate the appropriate resistors?

I think I need to replace a 25k with a 35K to identify as a K1...

GTX 650 : 10DE:0FC6    c = 25k
Grid K1 : 10DE:0FE6    e = 35k

This is for vDGA w/ View.  Esxi 5.5 allows passthrough just fine, and it shows correctly in VM.  Just can't enable PCoIP without Quadro driver...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf