Author Topic: HP printer disaster continues  (Read 13207 times)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Re: HP printer disaster continues
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2023, 02:53:17 am »
Besides the profit maximization, a printer which requires internet access is a very bad * STUPID idea ....
Computer: Document -> application -> print driver -> lan -> printer * -> lan -> broadband/internet -> hp services -> back to printer.

Getting permission to use your appliance first and then the parts are checked over for every print.

Just noticed John Lewis promoting this bullshit on their website:
https://www.johnlewis.com/content/hp-plus-smart-printing
SMART PRINTER (that doesn't print without a connection to HP... stupid.)
READY WHEN YOU ARE  :bullshit:
A cloud-connected HP⁺ printer is smarter :bullshit: (because it IS smarter NEVERMIND HOW none of your business how it works... it is smarter than you stupid consumers will ever be and more human than you and has feelings that upset it if you use third party cartridges) —it keeps itself up to date, secure, and ready to print from virtually anywhere at any time. ¹ ⁶ ⁷
What if the broadband is not ready?
Joke: HP+ printer is human and can think for itself and for all of you.

¹ Ready when you are: Improved printer connectivity  :bullshit: utilizing Smart :bullshit: Driver and Print/Scan Doctor technology  :bullshit: in the HP⁺ system, *versus HP consumer printers without HP⁺.
* A printer without HP+: Plug in cable, install driver and print. No stupid app, no account, no sign in, no broadband, no dependency from HP.

HP+ is the smarter printing system * that thinks ahead (UTTER BULLSHIT) so your printer is ready when you are1 (what if no broadband), more secure (for them that you don't use 3rd part ink cartridges), more productive, and more sustainable than ever. (Look at us we're green and will save the planet)

Choose HP+ and get 6 months of Instant Ink5 and one extra year of HP warranty.12*

*Choose to activate HP+ at printer set up. Requires ongoing internet connection (cancels out "ready when you are"), set up of an HP account and use of only Original HP Ink or Toner for the life of the printer.

* The only "intelligence" is what they set and have it do.

So they try and make it look "intelligent" and the customer stupid into buying it with the marketing materials and all those buzzwords that it does this and that and saves the planet and forests.

Buzzworld bullshit: Driver and Print Scan Doctor technology, cloud-connected, SMART PRINTER, smarter, HP+, SMART APP, intelligent.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 03:02:10 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline EggertEnjoyer123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2023, 04:06:35 am »
It's sad how HP went from putting out good quality test equipment which lasts for 50 years to producing garbage like this.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2023, 04:30:41 am »
The choice is pretty simple:

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2023, 04:37:26 am »
More like HP-.

HP+: Help save the planet, help save the trees but kiss our ass first then we decide when you can print.

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline ozcar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2023, 05:09:10 am »
Not new for them to make wrong or exaggerated claims about intelligence though.

Long ago, I bought a HP 4L printer. It was so long ago that I can say that I was still using it 20 years later (did have to repair it a couple of times, but no real complaints in that regard).

However it had a single button on it that you could press, and the promise was that it was so intelligent, that one button was sufficient, and that it would be able to work out exactly why you were pressing the button.

One day soon after I got it, Windows went crazy and the printer was spewing out page after page of rubbish. I desperately tried to stop it by pressing the magic button, short press, long press, double press, you name it, but no, it just carried on regardless. Eventually I had to pull the paper tray out to give myself a chance to speak severely to Windows.

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger, MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2023, 03:00:25 pm »
However it had a single button on it that you could press, and the promise was that it was so intelligent, that one button was sufficient, and that it would be able to work out exactly why you were pressing the button.
Reduce communication by removing LEDS and buttons and compensate the lack of it by calling it intelligent in the marketing materials.

One day soon after I got it, Windows went crazy and the printer was spewing out page after page of rubbish. I desperately tried to stop it by pressing the magic button, short press, long press, double press, you name it, but no, it just carried on regardless. Eventually I had to pull the paper tray out to give myself a chance to speak severely to Windows.
Reminds me of the stupid lights floodlights (low power rubbish) that dominated the shelves 20 years ago that lacked dedicated controls but had to pulse the POWER switch on and off to set the controls which reminded me a bit like morse code.

Offline Hogwild

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2023, 03:44:52 am »
I was sure I didn't have to worry about this with my circa 2002 printer.  But last week apparently a software update crept in and it no longer allows use of non-HP cartridges.  It doesn't brick, but refuses to print and requests that you check the cartridge.  Fortunately since I had a genuine cartridge on hand I lost little time to this, but these old cartridges are not widely stocked and far more expensive than non-official cartridges. 

It is unfortunate because I like the dual tray, duplexing, and other features of the printer.  It is not going to be around much longer.

What model? Updates don't just creep in. The printer either has to have a network connection to the Internet to download a firmware update (does yours?) Or the PC downloaded a driver update with that (mal)functionality itself and installed it.

The first thing is preventable. The second is a little harder to prevent. Did you try checking Windows update to see if any drivers/software for the printer changed since these changes occurred?

BTW, this is not the first time HP has pulled this sh*t. They did it years ago. They got severely fined by the US Government, swore they'd never do it again and here were are.

Also, this is not unique to HP (as much as I hate them). Epson did it recently as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 03:49:46 am by Hogwild »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2023, 05:48:49 pm »
What model? Updates don't just creep in. The printer either has to have a network connection to the Internet to download a firmware update (does yours?) Or the PC downloaded a driver update with that (mal)functionality itself and installed it.

The first thing is preventable. The second is a little harder to prevent. Did you try checking Windows update to see if any drivers/software for the printer changed since these changes occurred?

Speaking of which in another thread about background driver updates that I forgot to turn off:
There is this one as well:

Device installation settings.
Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and customs icons that are available for your devices?
No (your device might not work as expected)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 05:50:36 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2023, 12:22:34 am »
The printer is an Officejet 7310xi

And you are right, updates don't just creep in.  The computer driving this printer is ethernet connected and I have allowed updates, which have generally been beneficial in the past.  Issues with pulling paper from the second bin, and improper page scaling under certain conditions were well appreciated corrections.

The specific behavior that was introduced was a refusal to print with message to check printer cartridge.  The printer had been working normally.  Replacing the clone cartridge with a genuine HP allowed it to work normally.  I re-inserted the clone cartridge and the issue returned.   There remains one other possibility that does not involve malfeasance on HPs part.  This printer is lightly used and it is possible that some defect developed in the clone cartridge that was detected by the driver software.  I have other clone cartridges and will try one at some point to test this theory.  I went with the quickest solution since the printer is a tool I use in my hobbies, not a hobby in its own right.

There is no painless solution to this that I can see.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2023, 01:25:00 am »
That seems a really old printer:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-OfficeJet-7310-All-in-One-Printer/dp/B00065Z2DY
HP OfficeJet 7310 All-in-One Printer

Is Discontinued By Manufacturer   No
Date First Available   September 27, 2004

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-7300-all-in-one-printer-series/391181/model/391190
Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution

Install the HP Printer Driver and Software provided within your operating system.

Surprised they'd care for something that old and considering they are not releasing new drivers for it on their website or maybe they have through the Windows updates.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 01:31:48 am by MrMobodies »

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2023, 04:48:55 am »

And you are right, updates don't just creep in.  The computer driving this printer is ethernet connected and I have allowed updates, which have generally been beneficial in the past.  Issues with pulling paper from the second bin, and improper page scaling under certain conditions were well appreciated corrections.

My home printer is a Brother MFC-L3745CDW, ethernet-connected. It's a basic multi-function laser printer. Software and firmware updates are turned off, so that cloned cartridges from Ebay
continue to work (and  they work well). PCs using it run Win7, Win8, Win10, and Linux

Maybe check with Ebay sellers, to see if they have cartridges that work with your printer's firmware version?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2023, 12:13:28 pm »
Marie Myers, chief financial officer at HP, basically admits they try to lock in customers for supplies.

HP exec says quiet part out loud when it comes to locking in print customers

https://www.theregister.com/2023/12/04/hp_printer_lockin/?td=rt-3a
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: madires

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2023, 09:11:17 pm »
HP’s new corporate motto:

“Institutionalizing extortion in the name of a greener(*) future”

(*) Dollar bill green.

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon, MrMobodies

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2023, 10:06:56 pm »
Marie Myers, chief financial officer at HP, basically admits they try to lock in customers for supplies.

HP exec says quiet part out loud when it comes to locking in print customers

https://www.theregister.com/2023/12/04/hp_printer_lockin/?td=rt-3a

University of Queensland graduate , no less. (Not too far from Queensland Univerity of Technology).

On another note,  1.3M in cash, has to come from somewehere :)
https://www1.salary.com/Marie-Myers-Salary-Bonus-Stock-Options-for-HP-INC.html

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2023, 11:40:39 pm »

And you are right, updates don't just creep in. ...

Speaking of updates that just creep in: "HP printer software turns up uninvited on Windows systems"

https://www.theregister.com/2023/11/30/windows_hp_software_uninvited/

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2023, 11:59:07 pm »
if the printer could print out a slice of pizza it might be worth going through all that BS. its god damn paper we are talking about :-DD

like I could condone this if the printer was a startrek food replicator. but its a printer. their acting like its on a whole nother level

just think about the fact that you go through ALL THIS to get a piece of paper. WTF
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 12:01:56 am by coppercone2 »

Offline madiresTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2023, 05:15:37 pm »
More BS from HP: HP TV ads claim its printers are 'made to be less hated' (https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-reportedly-auto-installs-hp-smart-app-on-windows-10-and-11-without-permission/)

And they push the HP Smart app that started to appear uninvited on Windows 10/11 systems, also renaming installed printers (Microsoft confirms Smart App issue renaming everyone's printers to HP: https://www.theregister.com/2023/12/05/hp_smartapp_microsoft_issue/). HP and Microsoft in cohorts. :--

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2023, 07:20:37 pm »
dont let windows talk to or drive a printer.

linux can do that and there's no nagware, there.

my old samsung laser wants to spy and do bad things when its on windows.  when I drive it over the network (wired) with linux, there are no complaints or issues.  no updates or forced updates.

this is the way to treat untrusted hardware.  dont let it directly touch windows (etc).  linux can provide a network print service and it can talk to the printer.

one extra box.  a rasp pi.  no big deal really.  and you are way better off.  no more updates.  why update a printer?  it works or it does not.  updates never make printers better (the thought is laughable)

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2023, 11:13:32 pm »
this is the way to treat untrusted hardware.  dont let it directly touch windows (etc).  linux can provide a network print service and it can talk to the printer.

one extra box.  a rasp pi.  no big deal really.  and you are way better off.  no more updates.  why update a printer?  it works or it does not.  updates never make printers better (the thought is laughable)

Yep. Networked printers, and rpis as networking Lego, for the win.
    https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ah-i-see-youre-a-man-of-culture-as-well

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2023, 09:37:47 pm »
Louis Rossmann's response on the new HP ads:
 The Truth About HP: What Their Ads DON'T Tell You! - https://odysee.com/@rossmanngroup:a/the-truth-about-hp-what-their-ads-don't:7

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2023, 09:55:32 pm »
dont let windows talk to or drive a printer.

linux can do that and there's no nagware, there.

my old samsung laser wants to spy and do bad things when its on windows.  when I drive it over the network (wired) with linux, there are no complaints or issues.  no updates or forced updates.

Is there a Linux solution for networked scanning? I have a HP MFP28w which is a nice little box but I friggin hate HP Smart. I only use it infrequently so I tolerate it.

I do have a RPi sat idle most of the time; it's embedded in my 3D printer running Octoprint. But I tend to use the MFP as a scanner more than a printer so need more than just a printserver... the MFP is also WiFi connected, not USB, which doesn't make it any easier.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2023, 09:53:25 am »
SANE

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2023, 08:52:10 pm »
Yes, I can use my printer scanner over the LAN on Linux. No problem.

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2023, 09:24:30 pm »
Yes, I can use my printer scanner over the LAN on Linux. No problem.

That's good. How do Windows clients access the scanning? Printing is easy enough with LPR, JetDirect, IPP etc but I'm not aware of a non-proprietry method for scanning. (Note we're talking about a headless RPi here so no X desktop to play with).

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2023, 07:47:43 pm »
"The HP Smart printer app was installing automatically on Windows 10 and Windows 11 PCs whether they had an HP printer installed or not, changing the names and icons of their connected printers and causing error messages.
Affected PCs will usually appear to have an HP LaserJet M101-M106 connected..."

"... Microsoft continues to look into the issue, but in an update posted yesterday, the company stated unambiguously that HP was not to blame."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/12/hp-printer-app-is-installing-on-pcs-whether-they-have-hp-printers-or-not

Thanks asshole Microsoft for supporting HP tyranny at the operating-system level  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf