Author Topic: HP printer disaster continues  (Read 13206 times)

Offline madiresTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: HP printer disaster continues
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2023, 08:03:16 pm »
That's good. How do Windows clients access the scanning? Printing is easy enough with LPR, JetDirect, IPP etc but I'm not aware of a non-proprietry method for scanning. (Note we're talking about a headless RPi here so no X desktop to play with).

Via SANE frontends for Windows, a SANE-to-TWAIN bridge, or a web based frontend.

The following users thanked this post: nali

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2023, 09:21:01 pm »
Via SANE frontends for Windows, a SANE-to-TWAIN bridge, or a web based frontend.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry I didn't catch the meaning of reply#46 as I'd never heard of it before.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2023, 12:57:12 am »
Not to be confused with SANE, the Apple software floating-point library that was intially written for the 6502 and ported to the 68k. Used on all 68k Macs. For those who remember.

Offline ace1903

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2023, 08:26:53 am »
Just to share my frustration caused by HP.
I own HP M1536DNF laser printer scanner and I was satisfied with it. Printed hundreds pages datasheets and occasionally scanned page or two.
After some windows updates scanner stopped working. I installed latest software from HP hoping that I will be able to scan page or two again.
But HP forces me to connect scanner with some cloud account in order scans to be accessible from anywhere.
I own small business and don't want my scanned document's to be related with my personal account.
Turnover is so small that buying domain and email isn't worth for several pages.
I know that issue is not related to hardware since I can copy pages perfectly and it is not network related since I can print without hassle. Even default windows scan document program works sometimes(but scan size is some letter format that is not used in where I live)
Also tried under linux but same problem again. Inexplicable scanner error.

Checked now this SANE software but it seems HP multifunctional devices aren't supported.
Lesson learned: Before purchasing next device to check what burden it brings with cloud and related spam notifications ....

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2023, 08:40:51 am »
Your MFP is supported by an external backend (see http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html). The external backend needed is HPLIP (http://hplipopensource.com).

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts

Offline Altair8800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2023, 09:37:32 am »
I have for many years thought that why doesn't some company take a reliable old 20 year old printer (in which the patents have been expired) and do some simple enhancements to make a standalone (as in doesn't need web or authorization) printer that uses low-cost ink or toner.

They can sell it at a slight premium or not.

If word got out it is reliable, easy to setup, the print quality good, and the ink or toner is relatively inexpensive they could sell millions...

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2023, 10:05:54 am »
I have for many years thought that why doesn't some company take a reliable old 20 year old printer (in which the patents have been expired) and do some simple enhancements to make a standalone (as in doesn't need web or authorization) printer that uses low-cost ink or toner.

They can sell it at a slight premium or not.

If word got out it is reliable, easy to setup, the print quality good, and the ink or toner is relatively inexpensive they could sell millions...

That sort of thing used to happen many years ago when I was working in the sector way back in the 1990s. Many models were based on Canon or Xerox engines which conveniently exposed all controls needed to interface directly with it. So take a Canon-based HP LaserJet, unplug the HP card and replace with a nice high-speed interface and you have twice the printer you used to.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2023, 11:07:59 am »
Because the sheeple won't buy it and it isn't worth it to make such printer for you alone.
The sheeple will buy the HP which is sold at a loss and then pay through their noses for consumables.
Hence HP can't allow the sheeple to use 3rd party cartridges.

This is what happens when you combine free market and stupidity...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 11:12:56 am by magic »

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2023, 04:06:28 pm »
For those needing to restore scanning function to MFPs, or just want a better scanning interface check out Vuescan.  Cheap lifetime licence and works well.  Supports most OS.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 04:21:00 pm by CatalinaWOW »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2023, 05:17:15 pm »
Printing use small dumb HP printers, and for scanning SANE and some old scanners, that were tossed, because the one Canon would not work past Win98SE, and the HP because HP no longer supplied drivers past XP for it. But both work perfectly under Linux.

Now if only the developers could fix Glabel........ Workaround is to boot the old original Win7 home, and use Zebra Designer in there. About the only time i actually boot the original OS on that laptop, the last major use was to watch a webinar with the late Jerry Pournelle that was run with GotoMeeting. And with Larry Niven as the admin.....

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2023, 06:52:16 pm »
Now if only the developers could fix Glabel........
Inkscape is free and open source vector graphics design program (similar to FreeHand or Illustrator) available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, BSDs etc. that supports creating barcodes and QR codes: Extensions > Render > Barcode > ...

If there is a type of label you end up creating more than once, I recommend you create a template, including suitable guides and grids.  These are saved as part of the Inkscape SVG file (including templates), but are automatically dropped when printing or saving to PDF, plain SVG, etc.

About the only time i actually boot the original OS on that laptop, the last major use was to watch a webinar with the late Jerry Pournelle that was run with GotoMeeting. And with Larry Niven as the admin.....
Love their work.  Must've been an interesting webinar!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2023, 07:25:29 pm »
Just to share my frustration caused by HP.
I own HP M1536DNF laser printer scanner and I was satisfied with it. Printed hundreds pages datasheets and occasionally scanned page or two.

After some windows updates scanner stopped working.
This would be the part where I'd get really pissed off and angry if it happened to me unless there is a technical reason such as a disconnection somewhere or hardware/power failure.

I installed latest software from HP hoping that I will be able to scan page or two again.
But HP forces me to connect scanner with some cloud account in order scans to be accessible from anywhere..
I'd go mad at that point and be telephoning them about reversing the problem they created.

I own small business and don't want my scanned document's to be related with my personal account.
Stupid idea to upload the documents just to download them again.

Lesson learned: Before purchasing next device to check what burden it brings with cloud and related spam notifications ....
Not even a HP+ or "e" series according to name:
HP M1536DNF

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-CE538A-LaserJet-M1536DNF-Printer/dp/B0044ENNN4

Nothing about a requirement in the listing.

Looks to me like harassment and bulling from HP through the Windows drivers in which case, I'd uninstall everything HP printer, in APPS and "Program and features" and install the basic driver from the website:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/hp-laserjet-pro-m1536-multifunction-printer-series/model/3974278

Basic driver package:
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL36682/Im-90303-3/hp_M1530_MFP_Basic_Solution_15189.exe

What might happen is that it gets updated again with the feature package and HP Smart if that is what caused it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 07:30:58 pm by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2023, 12:49:57 pm »
Microsoft's answer to the HP Smart app:

KB5034510: Microsoft Printer Metadata Troubleshooter Tool - December 2023 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034510-microsoft-printer-metadata-troubleshooter-tool-december-2023-b3197f24-fd25-430d-96d2-70f2044ce6a1)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2024, 12:36:30 pm »
Interview on CNBC with hp CEO -

"Every time a customer buys a printer, it's an investment for us. We are investing in that customer, and if that customer doesn't print enough or doesn't use our supplies, it's a bad investment."

He actually says if you don't buy our supplies you are a bad customer. Even if you don't "print enough" :palm:

FF to about 3 minutes in -

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2024, 03:09:09 pm »
HPs efforts to make me a better customer have made me a non-customer.  What an evolution.  A great TE company became a great TE, Computer, Calculator and printer company.  Then a good computer and printer company.  Then a sort of ok computer and printer company.  And then a lousy company that doesn't want to earn business, but lock it in.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2024, 05:29:50 pm »
Saw this email from HP on Reddit. It's hostile like a credit agency FFS.
When an executive doubles down on the profit making strategy, that isn't working... Needs to be sent to the gulag.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:32:26 pm by floobydust »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2024, 05:51:03 pm »
Wow. Just wow... Next step is they send the HP Cartridge Enforcement swat team to your door.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2024, 06:49:33 pm »
One class-action (Barnert v. HP Inc.) was settled 02/2023. WTF Berkshire Hathaway Inc. is also a defendant. Like a leaking Duracell.
DTO Law Successfully Defends HP Inc. Against Nationwide Class Action on the "Instank Ink" subscription program. Slimy lawyers argued the limit to the state of purchase, instead of all 50 jurisdictions except New York.

There's a few class-action lawsuits against HP brewing for their printer tyranny and deception. Over bricking the printers, over data collection. Dec. 8, 2023 bricking lawsuit against HP

Sad that corporations can profiteer and overreach so easily.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2024, 10:56:10 am »
Interview on CNBC with hp CEO -

And they want to transform all their products into subscriptions, i.e. also PCs.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2024, 11:55:52 am »
i'm sorry for all of you people, i thought HP printers are extinct - Epson Printer user...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2024, 12:22:11 pm »
i'm sorry for all of you people, i thought HP printers are extinct - Epson Printer user...

Sorry for "all of you people" ? Don't feel sorry for me bro I got a Brother printer.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2024, 02:28:02 pm »
Old HP printers without the fancy new features are still working fine. However, I won't get anything new from HP. If you're looking for a new SOHO laser printer check out Brother or Kyocera.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2024, 03:54:15 pm »
Old HP printers without the fancy new features are still working fine. However, I won't get anything new from HP. If you're looking for a new SOHO laser printer check out Brother or Kyocera.

Don't know how old you are talking about.  My circa 2003 Officejet is a victim.  Which is really galling because in addition to the high price of the cartridges, they are obsolete and hard to find.  Epson burned me a couple of decades ago, but I am trying them again.  So far it is good.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2024, 04:27:50 pm »
the only worth salvaging are those dot matrix using ribbon for receipt printing in retails... the old "jet" technology forget about it... probably burnt/clogged jets/nozzles etc already.. or even more expensive/impossible to get the replacement parts.. even if you can,  their poor dpi is not worth my time...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2024, 05:40:11 pm »
Don't know how old you are talking about.  My circa 2003 Officejet is a victim.  Which is really galling because in addition to the high price of the cartridges, they are obsolete and hard to find.

Wow! HP published updates for such old inkjet printers? AFAIK, no laser printers from that period are affected.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:05:53 pm by madires »

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf