Author Topic: HP printer disaster continues  (Read 13209 times)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: HP printer disaster continues
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2024, 01:52:08 am »
Don't know how old you are talking about.  My circa 2003 Officejet is a victim.  Which is really galling because in addition to the high price of the cartridges, they are obsolete and hard to find.

Wow! HP published updates for such old inkjet printers? AFAIK, no laser printers from that period are effected.

They are apparently committed to their new business model.  They certainly haven't done functionality updates, bug fixes or driver updates for many years.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2024, 02:04:43 am »
They are apparently committed to their new business model.  They certainly haven't done functionality updates, bug fixes or driver updates for many years.

Where do people buy printers these days - Amazon or in-store (Walmart, Best Buy, etc). I really don't know myself. However, if in-store do the salespeople know what hp is doing, and if so I wonder if they tell customers "Hey hp is gonna make you buy their refills and this brand over here doesn't". On-line you can read the reviews and find out.

My point is over time I would think the word is going to get out about this and ruin their printer business. I hope so.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline rhodges

• Frequent Contributor
  • Available for embedded projects.
    • My public libraries, code samples, and projects for STM8.
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2024, 03:56:22 am »
Where do people buy printers these days -
I just bought a Brother printer (MFCL2717DW) from Amazon for just over $120 (?) It has been working very well for me, for shipping labels and regular pages. FWIW, I use FreeBSD and CUPS.
Currently developing STM8 and STM32. Past includes 6809, Z80, 8086, PIC, MIPS, PNX1302, and some 8748 and 6805. Check out my public code on github. https://github.com/unfrozen

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2024, 06:58:20 am »
Do they have AI printers yet?
I want the LLM to fix my spelling mistakes in the printer.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2024, 08:30:11 am »

If printers ever get AI, it'll be to work out whether you have genuine cartridges or not. It won't be for our benefit  ::)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2024, 08:36:55 am »
Laserprinter still works fine (knocking on wood).
Just replaced 4 toner cartridges with Amazon unknown brand no issues.
I really wanted to buy the HP toner but they are SIX!!!! times more expensive, what are they thinking.......
If they drop to twice the price of the no brand ones it would not be an issue for me, I would go for HP. They have to rethink their business case.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2024, 08:39:07 am »

If printers ever get AI, it'll be to work out whether you have genuine cartridges or not. It won't be for our benefit  ::)

Or to read your document in order to provide better ads for you... and of course to make sure you're not doing anything illegal

(but i think they do that already)

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2024, 09:16:08 am »
It will print ads over your margins...

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2024, 12:25:46 pm »
and nobody is going to buy it unless fools...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2024, 12:38:42 pm »

On Amazon the HP DeskJet 2755e Wireless Color inkjet-printer, Print, scan, copy is $49.99

https://www.amazon.com/HP-DeskJet-2755e-Wireless-Printer/dp/B08XYP6BJV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2T21534Q3R8L&keywords=hp+printer&qid=1706097659&sprefix=hp+printer%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-1

The hp individual refills, XL size, are

Black $28.92

Color $29.92

Total $58.84

If you decided to buy the XL size individual refills at different times, just one purchase of each, you'd exceed the price of the printer by $8.85

The price of the non-XL size is less but it still creeps towards the price of the printer.

It makes me wonder what the actual cost of that printer is. There's way more technology, shipping, and assembly costs in that printer than a ink cartridge, plus it includes ink cartridges. But they sell it at just a little more than a black and a color refill.

My point is, I'm wondering if they could sell the printer at an even lower price, less than two XL carts. I'm wondering if they intentionally made the price just a bit more than the price of a black and color refill (XL), so people wouldn't just buy a new printer every time they need ink?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online madiresTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2024, 02:46:26 pm »
Of course the price is deliberately set for that selling scheme. They sell the printer for less than it really costs while making huge profit with consumables (which also pays for the printer's discount). And they have to find the right balance to make customers buy consumables instead of a new printer. This scheme is nothing new, and it's known as razor and blades model (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_and_blades_model).

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2024, 03:02:37 pm »
You think printers are bad - you should look at practices in the photocopier industry. EVERYTHING is about running costs and how much money dealers can screw end user for. It's normally wrapped up in a fully-inclusive service contract or lease so the user has no idea how much consumables would cost otherwise, and it's in their best interest to make things as complicated as possible to justify the engineer servicing.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2024, 03:43:19 pm »
Whatever happened to the paperless office?  :-DD

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2024, 10:35:26 pm »

The fully-inclusive service contract is with Microsoft instead of with HP or Xerox. Not that much of a difference. :-DD

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2024, 10:39:46 pm »

Same thing as the hydrogen economy.  It was PR, by people who *think* they can predict the future or have an agenda.  Solar panel sidewalks and roads, anyone? lol

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2024, 12:10:18 am »

You misanderstood...they didn't mean your office, they meant they billing office.
Ask people with "paperless billing". Easy for billing and if an extra payment or the wrong amount (usually higher) makes it in there and you don't catch it, well, I guess it wasn't that important !!!  $1 "error" x , (insert number of customers) =  a few bucks ...no big deal :)   But that's a subject for another thread !

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf