Author Topic: I'm the AMD cross series Guinea pig  (Read 778 times)

Offline msuffidyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm the AMD cross series Guinea pig
« on: July 26, 2022, 12:48:27 pm »
Apart from my motivations yesterday I got a Ryzen 5900X for $437 Canadian prior to tax ending around $500. I put it on an Asus Prime B350 Plus, a 300 series board, that was not officially supported until like 3 weeks ago. I was expecting something not to work properly, but it has been a total win so far. Same as before, just faster.  Here's crossing my fingers. I did that with a deep deep gulp of fear.

No why specifically I did it was my old motherboard uses a pci card I like to use, the Audigy2. Also keeping all other components the same, I could get a theoretical improvement drawing an additional 40 watts on the CPU.  I was too tight on the PSU to go RTX 3070 as a GPGPU solution. Also I get the all around application increase with the cpu. Originally I had the Ryzen 1600, but upgraded later to a 2600, selling the former,  because there was data corruption in Linux with the original Ryzen.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 01:29:08 pm by msuffidy »

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
Re: I'm the AMD cross series Guinea pig
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 02:33:35 pm »
There is not so much  value for the money right now on all these new dies...
You pay a considerable sum to put CPU+MOBO (integrated GPU w/proprietary CODECs).
Having just NVMs is possible even with addins cards..

So..  running *NIX your big drama is being forced to use the most recent kernel..
cross fingers to have a decent result on the GPU driver and audio by itself...

That is not the case with a bit older (older e.g. couple years) hardware.

The desktop thing can make a mess with your AUDIO ..
While Audigy cards have OUTSTANDING performance in RT real-time JACK sessions with FULL MIDI support..
the things like PipeWire and Pulse are a total train wreck..

So consider saving your Audigy card because it will continue to work flawless with JACK FULL MIDI support

Paul
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 03:06:27 pm by PKTKS »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 11:40:09 pm »
I am very much keeping the Audigy2 card and that was one of the points of using the existing motherboard. It is working fine. I actually run kx project drivers in a vm of windows 7 32bit. My motherboard spdif goes in there and it all goes out to my stereo amp from the Audigy2. The card is actually not visible to linux when I do this because it gets unbound from linux. I mostly use linux Fedora Core 34 as it stands.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 05:45:45 am »
I did a review video including the live first power up of the new CPU.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 11:58:09 am »
() I mostly use linux Fedora Core 34 as it stands.

For DAW that is a tricky decision....

It  is impossible to acknowledged that 99% of AUDIO drivers are thanks to SuSE employees ...
RH made a bad choice switching way too much early to PipeWire.. ( and Wayland... systemd)

So I would make a offtheshelf  DAW i would rather go SuSE..
That thing with pipewire  puts video on the same boat... messy things...

Fedora may be outdated .. all those forks came to same point ..AlmaLinux and etal.

SUSE employs the best audio crew since day one... not by chance

Paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf