Products > Computers

Incremental Backup Solution for Small Business and Professionals

<< < (3/3)

kaevee:

--- Quote from: Halcyon on October 06, 2021, 08:32:39 am ---I use both ZFS snapshots and regular offline backups.

The snapshots allow you to quickly and easily restore data that has been changed or deleted. You can define them at any interval you like, even hourly if you really want. This is native to ZFS and TrueNAS.

For proper backups, I use LTO tape.

--- End quote ---

We are using TrueNAS and periodic ZFS snapshots are enabled. The Python script is complimenting the ZFS snapshots in TrueNAS, by providing easy access to backups for users. As I noted in my initial post, we don't have a full-time administrator to restore data on demand.

PaulAm:
I've used backuppc for both my self and a number of clients.  It's an rsync based platform that runs on Linux, but clients work fine with windows.  Great for incremental backups and file/directory retrieval, not so much for entire systems.  I do full dumps for that.

Had one client hit with ransomware and it was relatively easy to rebuild his system.

For a backup solution to be effective against ransomware it pretty much has to be an out of band solution.  If a backup share is visible to a system it's just as likely to be encrypted as anything else.

Whatever solution you use, be sure to do a test restore before you actually need to.  Don't assume everything will just work fine; 9 times out of 10 it won't.  I've seen everything from individual users to major data centers caught by that.

Halcyon:

--- Quote from: kaevee on October 06, 2021, 10:23:17 am ---
--- Quote from: Halcyon on October 06, 2021, 08:32:39 am ---I use both ZFS snapshots and regular offline backups.

The snapshots allow you to quickly and easily restore data that has been changed or deleted. You can define them at any interval you like, even hourly if you really want. This is native to ZFS and TrueNAS.

For proper backups, I use LTO tape.

--- End quote ---

We are using TrueNAS and periodic ZFS snapshots are enabled. The Python script is complimenting the ZFS snapshots in TrueNAS, by providing easy access to backups for users. As I noted in my initial post, we don't have a full-time administrator to restore data on demand.

--- End quote ---

Snapshots in TrueNAS also support the Windows volume shadow copy service. That way if a user deletes/overwrites a folder or file by accident, they can just right-click and go to the "Previous versions" tab and restore it themselves from their own machines. No scripts needed.

kaevee:

--- Quote from: Halcyon on October 13, 2021, 06:53:20 pm ---Snapshots in TrueNAS also support the Windows volume shadow copy service. That way if a user deletes/overwrites a folder or file by accident, they can just right-click and go to the "Previous versions" tab and restore it themselves from their own machines. No scripts needed.

--- End quote ---
Of course, we have enabled shadow copy. It meets almost all the needs except for a remote backup. Remote backups with shadow copy can be achieved if we have a second TrueNAS replicating the data from the primary server. We are yet to set up a failover system for the TrueNAS server.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version