Author Topic: iPhone 6 apps crashing  (Read 2762 times)

Offline poot36Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
iPhone 6 apps crashing
« on: September 21, 2021, 01:10:12 am »
I am trying to run Mario Kart Tour on my iPhone and the game will run to a certain extent but when ever I try and start a race the app will crash and take me back to the home screen.  If I double click the menu button I can see that the app is still running somewhat as it shows there.  The phone also does this with Pokemon Masters EX when clicking on certain icons in the game as well.  It is because the games actually need more RAM then the phone has or is it some sort of odd battery issue where the cell is not able to hold the voltage up enough under heavy load?

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: iPhone 6 apps crashing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 02:06:12 am »
I am trying to run Mario Kart Tour on my iPhone and the game will run to a certain extent but when ever I try and start a race the app will crash and take me back to the home screen.  If I double click the menu button I can see that the app is still running somewhat as it shows there.  The phone also does this with Pokemon Masters EX when clicking on certain icons in the game as well.  It is because the games actually need more RAM then the phone has or is it some sort of odd battery issue where the cell is not able to hold the voltage up enough under heavy load?

The game could simply be buggy.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 04:29:30 am »
A lot of apps are not well tested on older phones. It's possible it's just running out of memory and crashing.

Online Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 07:27:51 am »
The iPhone 6 dropped off the supported models list 3 months ago.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:49:57 am »
My mother uses an old iPad mini.  The hardware is beautiful, the camera is beautiful, but because it's out of support getting things to install and run on it is a nightmare.  Even the default apps crash regularly now.

Meanwhile I'm still using my desktop from that same era perfectly fine :)  Sadly portable devices are a lot less generic and a lot less fixable/updatable than x86 devices.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Online Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 09:56:11 am »
We've invented so much new software since 2012 that the poor iPad is missing out on.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 05:25:07 pm »
Apple has a habit of upgrading the OS on mobile devices about one version past where they really should have stopped. My old iPhone 4 was great on iOS 6 but by the time I finally upgraded it was slow as molasses.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 12:39:20 am »
The annoying thing is that Mario Kart Tour was working just fine on my old (around 2017 or so) Android tablet and then they went and upgraded it to need a 64 bit os which the tablet does not run even though it has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 4 core processor and I think 2Gb of ram.  That is when I went to try the app on my iPhone as it does have a 64 bit os but obviously it does not fully work.  I hate planned obsolescence just about as much as not having the ability to get parts and schematics to repair electronic devices.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 01:38:43 am »
It's not really planned obsolescence, it's just not caring about old products that there is no more money in, the app developers have varying resources on what they can test on. I don't like it either though.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 01:47:46 am »
It's not really planned obsolescence, it's just not caring about old products that there is no more money in, the app developers have varying resources on what they can test on. I don't like it either though.

Unplanned obsolescence.  Same impacts (consequences), but looks slightly different when analysed from an intentionalism perspective.

It's not the app author's fault, the platform software frameworks are a constantly moving target.  Blame Google and Apple for this.  They like it this way.

Online Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 10:02:13 am »
Dropping ios12 is only ~6.5% of all users according to this place: https://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 09:54:57 pm »
6.5% of users is a lot of people.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 12:45:02 am »
I guess then I will need to look for a newer phone or tablet then, oh well.  Thanks for the help.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 02:11:59 am »
Look for one that supports LineageOS if you don't want to be dependent on the manufacturer for updates.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 09:48:13 am »
Look for one that supports LineageOS if you don't want to be dependent on the manufacturer for updates.

This ^

My father is super happy with his hand-me-down phone that runs this.  My mum's much newer phone is a constant nagfest of change.

Sadly finding 2nd hand phones that run Lineage is a bit of a pain and they tend to be worth quit a bit more (probably due to Lineage support making them more desirable!).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 02:28:42 am »
And it looks like the LineageOS does not support my LG-v533 G PAD IV 8.0, oh well.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 12:21:19 pm »
iPhone 6? Good luck. I'm surprised yours still works! But software incompatibility sounds like the cause here. You're using old hardware and one thing Apple loves is planned obsolescence.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 10:11:22 pm »
Thanks for the responses, looks like I will be on the lookout for a replacement tablet or phone.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf