Author Topic: is there some kind of cheap VGA-headset? (solved)  (Read 2371 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
is there some kind of cheap VGA-headset? (solved)
« on: February 14, 2024, 03:32:08 pm »
not a VR-headset, just two wearable screen
so not like the Apple Vision/Pro, many more simpler, and cheaper
(say, =<300 euro),

is there some kind of VGA-headset, with
- resolution of 1024x768-24bit
- VGA input (two channels(1))
- without { IMU, headphone, other sensors and misc }

It's needed to pilot a robotic-rover that must move through a tunnel (long story, don't ask)
Kind of wire-guided stuff (POE? Optical-signal + 48V power lines? mumble), which must cost as little as possible  :o :o :o

(1) I haven't yet understood how to manage two VGA signal to mimic some kind of simple stereoscopic vision, umm

as I have two possibilities here:
1) installing two cameras on the rover, but those bloody cameras must be water and acid-proof, so ... very expensive
2) installing only one camera on the rover, and somehow mimic some kind of stereoscopic vision manipulating the camera output for the two VR headset screens
---

The rover comes with an IR Lidar 2D, deep-meter, and other (useless, but cool) stuff. So, it doesn't need any true stereoscopic vision.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 11:14:20 am by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Super Contributor
Re: is there some kind of cheap VGA-headset?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 03:42:01 pm »
... five minutes ago I was tempted to dismantle two 80s video cameras and use their viewfinders in a new way  :o :o :o

Very cheap, 40 euro per unit, but ... umm, mini-CRT technology, the same as television before LCDs took over, and driven by a PAL/NTSC signal, so... ~640x480.

So, it sounded like an excellent idea only for the first 5 seconds (also because it's too Gibson-style cyperpunk), but then it got rationally abandoned  :-//

• Too heavy, because it's made of glass
  • ~1000V doesn't sound a great idea if you have to open the viewfinders and put them near your face
  • Not enough pixels
  • PAL to VGA...not a great idea
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 03:50:01 pm »
The search term is "FPV googles". The results are endless, not sure if any of them will have a VGA connector.

The following users thanked this post: golden_labels, DiTBho

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 12:39:53 pm »
How about one of those VR headsets that you put a smartphone into?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 06:25:14 pm »
How about one of those VR headsets that you put a smartphone into?

mm, VGA to smartphone? how?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 06:31:08 pm »
Today I dismantled part of a decommissioned X-ray machine, of those used by dentists.
Umm, the viewfinder is *VERY* interesting because it's an eyepiece LCD with exactly the specs I need.
and it is also definitely much lighter than a glass-miniCRT-80-ish-viewfinder!!!

So, oh oh oh, with a face padding, and two of them, I could actually make a VGA-headset!  :o :o :o

But, what the hell, where to buy those viewfinders?
Can I use part of a decommissioned X-ray machine?
(which in theory is still owned by another company?)

I'm tempted, with the complicity of the darkness, to put it in my bag, and that's the end of my many problems.
But I am an honest person, so ... I'd like to understand: who did build it, if it's for sale, and if a private being can buy it, how much is it?
(I would like to buy at least two, say four, of them)

Why life is so complex  :-//

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 09:04:29 pm »
What for though?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 11:12:35 am »
What for though?

what(what(what(x))), what(what(what(for though?)))  :o :o :o

anyway, somehow solved myself :D

I still don't know which company made(?)/still makes(?) those viewfinders, but a found other four decommissioned x-ray machines, teared down, got a written permission to take all the viewfinders.

so I have two 1" mini screens with all the optics already made and assembled, and the input is XVGA@60Hz.
Excellent!  :D :D :D

I think I'll build some polycarbonate supports to mount two viewfinders on a VR-structure; here, I will probably buy something cheap (~50-100 euro) on Amazon, teardown it, and hack it to reuse the frame-structure and make my version, then I'll move on to assembling something wearable, with
- Power(1) + VGA, right channel, 9 wires, { R, G, B, H, V, GND, 12V, /en, GND }
- Power(1) + VGA, left channel, 9 wires,  { R, G, B, H, V, GND, 12V, /en, GND }

Then I will have to deal with stereoscopic vision, that is, build a VGA splitter that does not limit itself to replicating the input stream onto two output streams, but which translates the pixels horizontally enough to satisfy the stereoscopic vision so as not to be perceived "annoyance" to those wearing the visor

(1) during the teardown, I found the viewfinder used in the x-ray machine has a power enable, which is a common TTL input, the "/en" pin. 5V, negative logic.
No problem, short it to GND, and the viewfinder will be always on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf