Products > Computers

Just discovered Open Broadcast Software, so late to the party!

(1/1)

edy:
I have been on Linux a few years and was using VokoScreenRecorder which is fairly bare-bones but did the job whenever I needed to record my desktop. It has the option to overlay picture-in-picture of another source like your webcam, so I could demonstrate software and you could see me in the corner (much like you see in some of Dave's videos).

Recently I was looking for a solution for my son as he wanted to record himself playing some video games and like his YouTube "idols" he also sees their head in the corner but the background is gone! There is no VokoScreenRecorder available for Windows 7... so after some searching I stumbled upon OBS: Open Broadcast Software, a multiplatform open-source free streaming/recording tool that is tremendously powerful! I can't believe I've never heard of this before!  :palm:

So within minutes, on his old Windows 7 machine, I configured the various sources to record (audio, video desktop and webcam) and set up a chromakey filter, we put up a blue background behind him and he was able to play video games and had his head "floating" in the corner complete with proper chroma-keying background removal (transparent). It was awesome! I went ahead and installed it on my Ubuntu machine and tried a few sample recordings and was thoroughly impressed.  :-+

I'm not sure what Dave uses but I thought I'd share this in here for anyone who does this kind of thing. I'm not surprised that I missed some of these "gems"... there are lots of free open-source tools that I never heard of before.... Krita, LibreOffice, Scribus, InkScape, GIMP and a host of others that are now my main tools and never knew existed (as previously it was all Microsoft and Adobe). The cool thing is most of these are available for Windows too, and some could also be available on Mac, so it really makes it easy to switch platforms and drives home the point that it ain't necessarily the OS but the tools on it that people use that establishes their preferences.

Ampera:
Wait until you discover not only ssh, but Xpra too. Start and grab a single program from any computer, secure over WAN with little setup? No problem.

brucehoult:
Used and trusted by Webcam models world-wide for years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version