Author Topic: 'Linux'.. WOW, I'm almost toltally SOLD now!!!  (Read 22371 times)

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
Re: 'Linux'.. WOW, I'm almost toltally SOLD now!!!
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2021, 04:03:51 pm »
I've got 11 linux machines running on the hypervisor under the desk which is also windows 10 running vbox.
What's the advantage for a windows host? Is there an equivelent to in kernel vhost-net and vhost-scsi for virtio on windows hosts?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2021, 04:16:00 pm »
(..)
3 windows 10 machines here. No problems at all.
(..)

I've used Linux professionally for about 24 years now. Windows about 30. They're as bad as each other  :-DD

Hardly... question is "when their shit will hit *your* fan.. "

They are obviously  in a decadent spiral descent ...

Trying to pile  *NIX inside their shit hole..

second question is "When this shit hits their gaming audience..."

what they will FUD next.?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-update-bsod-frame-rate-plummeting

serious problems for their last trench
Paul

PS>  I have my own pile of WINTEL MS shit on my scrap bags..

Interesting (just BLAH non focused points)
https://www.pcmag.com/news/cleaning-up-the-e-waste-mess-big-tech-needs-to-do-more

But the figure is amazing clear to show what they did and
how they filled their pockets so fast..

Figure shows their irresponsible methods.. in permanent effect
Ah that's bullshit though.

What happened was a load of gamers with barely working PCs made out of ass end components rolled out an update without testing it that shit the bed. I have no sympathy. They all popped up and some tech aggregator knocked up some clickbait for it. Most people don't understand stability, testing etc.

Big tech only sells what people want. Stop buying stuff if it's an issue for you.

Anyway not sure what the whining is about. During covid the whole supply chain including recycled kit dried up due to demand. It's not all going in landfill.

Edit: to point out on other threads I am all for manufacturers taking responsibility for recycling. The issue is the end users get all pissy when I tell them to go with a vendor that will actually do this i.e Apple because Apple is Satan's slippers in the eyes of most people. So what happens is the end user demands the lowest price crap because the real reason they don't want to buy apple is because they are cheap asses or genuinely poor, which means you actively choose to stamp on the people below you instead. Either that or if you take an item back to Apple for recycling that is thoroughly obsolete (that's 6 years for an iPhone which is forever) you still won't take it back because you can sell it on ebay for £30 and MONEY GOOD.

Selfish people is the problem, not big tech. If you don't want to be part of this, spend on a company who has an ethical policy that matches your expectations or just don't own the device.

Breaks down to:

Wah wah wah I won't pay $1000 for an iPhone. Apple are cunts.

Really it's wah wah wah there's this cheaper thing which has bigger numbers and is only $800 and all I have to do is trade my data, several Uighur souls for the privilege of saving $200. To hide this from society I take a public stand against Apple's irrelevant policies to my ethical position through conspicuous declaration of their inferiority.

Lame humans all of you.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:26:24 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2021, 04:17:27 pm »
I've got 11 linux machines running on the hypervisor under the desk which is also windows 10 running vbox.
What's the advantage for a windows host? Is there an equivelent to in kernel vhost-net and vhost-scsi for virtio on windows hosts?

Excel, Visual Studio Classic, SQL Server, Outlook run on it too. It has 64G of RAM so I can get a full stack of our stuff on it which is cross-platform unlike smaller nodes.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2021, 04:33:27 pm »
(..)
Big tech only sells what people want. Stop buying stuff if it's an issue for you.
(..)

:-DD :-DD :-DD  ::) ::) ::)

Lucky me then... I have stopped buying their stuff late 90s.

But from late 80s to late 90s I had a smaller similar pile of that garbage..

This is no rant no whine  - they gave me serious prejudice.
But by 80s/90s there were no practical alternatives...  :palm:

Stopped that by late 90s never looked back.
best thing I did stopping to use and support these assholes

All folks with similar trajectory will probably say the same
Paul

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2021, 04:40:25 pm »
Most of it's crap yes but there's some gold out there. Knowing what to use and what to avoid is a massive social advantage. And surprisingly that still only applies to things evaluated on technical merit and not marketing. Food for thought.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2021, 04:44:47 pm »
Excel, Visual Studio Classic, SQL Server, Outlook run on it too. It has 64G of RAM so I can get a full stack of our stuff on it which is cross-platform unlike smaller nodes.
But why the Windows host? Doesn't that leave a lot of potential performance on the table for the guests?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2021, 05:08:02 pm »
Why not? It’s a general purpose computer. It might not need to be a hypervisor tomorrow. Might be runnin’ down hoes in GTA  :-DD

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2021, 05:11:13 pm »
The only things i "really miss" is :
Atmel AVR debugger and ...

Not from Atmel, but I cobbled together a working hardware AVR debugger (hardware, 1 wire) with only a generic USB to serial adapter, a diode and the rest is all FOSS.

It's working nicely either from inside an IDE with GUI, or from a terminal:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/avr-(arduino)-linux-debug/

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, PKTKS

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2021, 11:20:22 pm »
iratus parum formica

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2021, 01:01:12 pm »
The only things i "really miss" is :
Atmel AVR debugger and ...

Not from Atmel, but I cobbled together a working hardware AVR debugger (hardware, 1 wire) with only a generic USB to serial adapter, a diode and the rest is all FOSS.
(..)

Awesome done...   :popcorn:

First time I realized that ECLIPSE could actually be used for that twist.

:-+
Paul

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2021, 11:37:24 pm »
10 COOL FACTS ABOUT WINDOWS 10

iratus parum formica

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2021, 06:31:58 pm »
10 COOL FACTS ABOUT WINDOWS 10
(..)

geeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz...  How the things may change over time
or point of visions...

While that folk may consider that "cool" ..

I consider that a pile of shit put together by incompetents along
those shitty versions of WIN.

As all their products feed patent trollers they have always
subverted **ALL** good standards and  best practices so to
have "own" rights over that pile of shit called  "cool facts"

They subverted everything to the point that when they CLONED CP/M
into DOS for x86 the just extended the directory entry keeping
the .COM 100H required format and the limits of BDOS.

Talk to any folk used to program in those early version
to see how many HACKS the 127 character PATH would need then...

pile of shit over the years they just kept growing over rolling.

eks  :horse:
Paul

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2021, 09:34:40 am »
Two months ago I installed some new paid software on my Windows10 laptop:
- Premiere 2021
- Ti-na Design Industrial v9
- Omron PLC Studio

They still work as expected, no problem. Windows10 has demonstrated me to be decent at least (and I have no alternative, I cannot find anything similar for Linux). Just, since I don't trust it too much, I don't play any movie on it, I don't access Facebook, or similar, I only use this laptop unconnected from the internet and only for job' stuff.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:39:28 am by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2021, 10:02:37 am »
Talk to any folk used to program in those early version
to see how many HACKS the 127 character PATH would need then...

I am not sure what you are talking about  :-//

I have recently forked DosBox to embed some old DOS commercial compilers into a Linux shell. Why? Well, because I want to pass parameters from the bash to the DOS compiler without any X11 things in the middle, I don't wont to use QEMU, I cannot use Wine on a non-x86 machine, and I also want to pass files in and out during the process.

I have a full x86 CPU emulator running on a PowerPC CPU, I have no VGA card emulation for the DOS stuff DOSBos has it, it has been massively hacked and removed:
- messages sent to VIDEO card are catch on the fly and readdressed to STDERR (it's ugly but it works)
- when DOS invokes FAT primitives, there is a FAT16 wrapper to pass files from/to Linux's shell

I haven't seen so much garbage in it  :-//

What's really annoying is the the DOS filename because it's limited to 8 chars plus 3 other chars for the extension -> 8+3 = 11 chars, and since on Linux I am using longer filenames, I am using an blackmagic function to mediate.

Linux's filename input (source file, assembly, C, linker script) -> blackmagic8-3_encode(filename) -> 11 chars -> wrapper_in -> DOSBOX -> compiler -> DOSBOX -> wrapper_out -> blackmagic8-3_decode(filename) -> Linux's filename output (binary and list files)

It works so transparent that you wouldn't feel the difference between invoking gcc/sdcc and an "embedded-DOS-compiler" if I didn't tell you about it ;D
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2021, 10:10:15 am »
- Premiere 2021
 I only use this laptop unconnected from the internet ...

How it possible?  :o
It used to be 30 or 100 days (depends from Creative Cloud subscription) you can use their apps in the offline mode

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2021, 10:18:35 am »
I don't stay 24h/24 connected to the internet with that production laptop.
Only when it's strictly necessary and also with Windows10 updates disabled.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2021, 10:24:29 am »
I wouldn’t disable updates. I say this a hundred times a year to people. You don’t know better than MS. They fuck up occasionally yes but you can roll it back fine. Hang back on “feature updates” and install patches and you’re good.

The key thing people don’t understand is that windows 10 has been 3-4 different major releases which would have been windows 11, 12, 13 etc. They are now called feature updates and are optional.

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2021, 11:12:55 am »
I wouldn’t disable updates. I say this a hundred times a year to people.

It's a simple strategy which hasn't yet failed: if something works there is no need to change it, so don't update it, don't even touch it, just don't do it! But do a backup to resume it back :D

The whole C: drive has been cloned into a Compact Flash of 64Gb. Even if I am traveling and something goes wrong, I can resume it in minutes!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2021, 11:16:28 am »
Never change a running system. ;D The drawback is that you'll miss fixes for security issues. And there are tons of them.

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #219 on: April 22, 2021, 11:48:07 am »
The drawback is that you'll miss fixes for security issues. And there are tons of them.
Exactly, and compare Linux vs Windows updates - I have a felling nothing happend too much on Windows side at all  :-DD while Linux (SUSE in my example) - flooding with an updated stuff  frequently :scared:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:57:40 am by olkipukki »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: April 22, 2021, 11:58:18 am »
I wouldn’t disable updates. I say this a hundred times a year to people.

It's a simple strategy which hasn't yet failed: if something works there is no need to change it, so don't update it, don't even touch it, just don't do it! But do a backup to resume it back :D

The whole C: drive has been cloned into a Compact Flash of 64Gb. Even if I am traveling and something goes wrong, I can resume it in minutes!

Bad idea.

Your working practices are how we keep hearing about these nice SCADA and PLC focused vulnerabilities.

"Ah I'll just plug this unpatched windows 10 laptop into some random client's infrastructure because I know better."

:palm: you don't.

I was responsible for security on such things over 20 years ago in the defence sector and we did not allow this sort of approach. It's even more relevant today.

Edit: ask yourself this:

Your client sues you because you infected their network / equipment or damaged something (even unrelated or accidental). Third party auditor is pulled in for damage claims. Finds out you have a poor security stance. Your legal / professional insurer decides to LOL at you when they do their claims due diligence. You're now on the hook for whatever damages turn up. Enjoy losing a few years salary or bankruptcy.

"I am a superstitious techno anti-vaxxer" is no legal defence.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:18:27 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #221 on: April 22, 2021, 12:07:39 pm »
I wouldn’t disable updates.

Never change a running system. ;D

I have an offgrid workstation (not connected to internet at all) with a couple specific apps installed, been in use over year and still planning to keep these as is for another year at least.

After that, I would very likely end up with a new M.2 and install updated software (included Windows) from scratch rather than 'enable' updates   :popcorn:

How people live without permanent internet in past?

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #223 on: April 22, 2021, 02:03:28 pm »
Since we're talking about security issues. Linux bans University of Minnesota for sending buggy patches in the name of research: https://www.neowin.net/news/linux-bans-university-of-minnesota-for-sending-buggy-patches-in-the-name-of-research/

Offline dave j

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2021, 03:49:51 pm »
Meanwhile, WSL2 progressed to WSLg  :P

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/the-initial-preview-of-gui-app-support-is-now-available-for-the-windows-subsystem-for-linux-2/

This is ultimately a good thing. We can now go from companies taking a position of "We don't need to produce a Linux version, they can just run the Windows one under WINE" to "We don't need to produce a Windows version, they can just run the Linux one under WSLg".

More seriously, good support for Windows apps killed OS/2 because nobody needed to produce an OS/2 version of their apps and given the choice of one or the other companies chose the one with the larger market share. Rather than thinking of this as "people don't need to use Linux to run Linux apps" consider it as "companies don't have to[1] produce only Windows apps".

[1] For commercial viability reasons of 'have to'.
I'm not David L Jones. Apparently I actually do have to point this out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf