Products > Computers

'Linux'... First Introduction !!

<< < (23/23)

rstofer:
I appreciate the effort but I don't see myself spending any time on this.  Yes, for me, it's a problem, but it doesn't follow that I want to spend any time on it.  I just comment out the aliases and it's over and done.

And then there is syntax coloring in vi and nano.  Again, depending on the colors, the text absolutely disappears.  Who thought dull red on black would work?

bd139:
Wow this thread is a rollercoaster :)

I run without colours (force xterm-mono) because quite frankly getting everything to work properly is a ball ache. Also I hop around environments and machines a lot and like hell i’m going to futz with my profile and vimrc on every damn machine. It’s just not worth it.

On my control node, a VM in virtual box in windows 10 (fuck running native), it’s the same. And my PS1 is set to $ like a V7 machine. I can remember where I left my sunglasses and cwd fine thanks.

Every time I see someone with technicolour vomit all over their terminal or UwUs and ASCII art in their PS1 I want to punch something.  :-DD

In fact it was only a few weeks ago a devops colleague fork bombed the ssh relay box in a spectacular profile customisation fail.

“I can’t login. It just hangs”

“Ps on box ... ooh 1024 bash shell processes”

Good job I set up ulimits properly, which I had time to do because I wasn’t fucking around trying to read red on blue text in vim.

nctnico:

--- Quote from: rstofer on January 10, 2020, 11:42:53 pm ---I appreciate the effort but I don't see myself spending any time on this.  Yes, for me, it's a problem, but it doesn't follow that I want to spend any time on it.  I just comment out the aliases and it's over and done.

--- End quote ---
I'm not color blind but I do spend time on the color scheme of the terminals in Linux when running in X-windows.

SiliconWizard:
I have a .bashrc that fits me well and I copy it to any home directory I use. Simple and effective. You just have to worry about customizing it once.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version