Products > Computers

'Linux'... First Introduction !!

(1/23) > >>

GlennSprigg:
I've been a 'DOS/Windows' man all my life! However, I've decided to be a bit more 'edurmecated'
and so I'm playing around with 'Linux' as a Virtual-Machine first, within a Windows PC.

Now obviously, GUI's make the learning relatively typical, (but different), than Windows or a Mac.
However, most online 'tuition's' seem to start with the CLI (Command Line Interpreter), as so much
seems to be done with that, for most users, although it seems daunting at first. And that's OK.

But why did they seemingly have to "re-invent the wheel" ?  Basically, it's like going back to 'DOS',
which I'm very familiar with, although I can understand that for a lot of young people today is foreign.
OK, so why use a new command like 'ls' instead of 'dir' which is world known for a Directory listing?
Or, using 'cp' instead of the universally understood 'copy' as in DOS ? And numerous more changes.

I don't understand why they didn't standardize the names, even though it is a different O.S.   :phew:

hazeanderson:
DOS is a watered-down version of UNIX. Linux is a proper UNIX implementation. Linux may have come after DOS, but UNIX was first. DOS is the "wheel reinventer" here.  :popcorn:

So things like ls, cp, mv and xargs (good luck doing that on DOS) were first.

Learning the cli in UNIX (Linux) is pure power. I recommend it.

NiHaoMike:
If you haven't noticed, the Powershell in Windows supports many common Linux commands. And Windows 10 has WSL...

GlennSprigg:

--- Quote from: hazeanderson on December 17, 2019, 01:41:37 pm ---DOS is a watered-down version of UNIX. Linux is a proper UNIX implementation. Linux may have come after DOS, but UNIX was first. DOS is the "wheel reinventer" here.  :popcorn:

So things like ls, cp, mv and xargs (good luck doing that on DOS) were first.

Learning the cli in UNIX (Linux) is pure power. I recommend it.

--- End quote ---

FIRSTLY, congratulations on your very first Post/Comment !!  And thanks  8)
Yea, but I keep seeing on 'YouTube' that the first thing to learn is that 'Linux' is not 'Unix'  :(
Obviously though, at some original point, their boundaries cross !!   ;D

hazeanderson:
Thank you. I first learned UNIX and Linux back in 1996, when I was studying Computer Science. Wikipedia is actually decent for learning the history of topics such as this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux

For all in tents, and porpoises ... Linux is UNIX.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version