Products > Computers

Linux OS for a new user

<< < (30/31) > >>

MyHeadHz:

--- Quote from: rstofer on September 03, 2019, 07:22:59 pm ---When you opt to use Linux for your daily desktop you will be joining a group that represents less than 2% of desktop users worldwide.  The folks that promote Linux like it a lot, no doubt!  The thing is, after 25 years, Linux has not even made a dent in desktop usage.  The market has spoken!  Windows costs money, Linux is free and they can't even give it away.  You would think FREE would garner more than 2% of the market.  There are reasons why it doesn't!

--- End quote ---

Linux was stagnant for many years in the 2-3% range, up until the last 2-3 years.  Since then, Microsoft has been losing desktop OS market share steadily; mostly to Mac, but also to Linux.  Recent figures (as of early this year) show it at around 6% and gaining.

Karel:

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2019#technology-_-developers-primary-operating-systems

It shouldn't surprise me to see something similar in an electronics engineering environment.

james_s:

--- Quote from: Halcyon on September 07, 2019, 01:12:39 am ---
--- Quote from: james_s on September 06, 2019, 04:01:17 pm ---Win10 is already rather stripped down and barren

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't exactly call 25+GB for a clean install "stripped down". I actually find Windows 10 quite bloated.

--- End quote ---

True, I was thinking from a visual/eye candy standpoint. The Win10 UI has always looked to me like they made a wireframe/quick proof of concept and then just shipped that. It is the most visually bland OS on the market in at least the last 20 years.

Karel:
Not unimportant:

Jookia:

--- Quote from: Kilrah on September 07, 2019, 09:39:00 am ---I know no home user who cares about that, as long as they have an activated copy they're happy.
I'm not talking about professional environments, neither is this thread.

--- End quote ---

Yes, most users don't care about EULAs or legality of the software they use, but it becomes a problem when providing support or recommendations to them professionally.
If someone's on Windows 7 and it's going EOL it's a headache to tell them they need to shell out ~$180 AUD for Windows 10.
If someone loses their OEM key for Windows it's another headache to tell them they need to buy a new copy of Windows 10.
If someone builds a computer it's a headache to tell them they have to buy another copy of Windows too.
Often the solution is 'buy another computer that comes with Windows'

Linux is a lot more liberal when it comes to licensing, especially if you want to run older versions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version