Author Topic: Liquid Flux or Flux Paste for Desoldering Omron Switch?  (Read 485 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Liquid Flux or Flux Paste for Desoldering Omron Switch?
« on: October 11, 2022, 02:27:16 pm »
Hello.

I ordered ChipQuik liquid flux so I can desolder and replace switch that causes Razer corded mouse to double-click and sometimes multiple-click.

But I wonder if flux paste from AE could do the same job for $12 less as long as it desolders joints that hold the switch in place?

Offline Helio_Centra

• Regular Contributor
Re: Liquid Flux or Flux Paste for Desoldering Omron Switch?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 03:32:22 pm »
whatever flux you have at hand will help. I recall a Big Clive video where he showed showed that you can just use pine tree sap which is what most flux is made of. I'll see if I can find it.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 04:32:41 pm »
Flux helps with heat transfer by scavenging oxides from the bit and joint surface so solder wets both.  However just about any flux that's non-corrosive when cold will do and the difference a $30 bottle of flux makes vs a pinch of finely powdered pine rosin wetted with >95% alcohol is absolutely negligible when desoldering through hole parts. 

Far Far more important is removing the molten solder quickly and effectively.  Too much heat for too long and the pads will come unbonded from the PCB.  Also, the switch pins are often very tight in the holes and if its a double-sided board, that vastly increases the risk of pad damage as its all too easy to rip the copper plated lining  out of the hole, taking the top-side pad with it.   Desolder braid or a pro-grade vacuum desoldering station are your friends here, to clear the holes, then if they have any clearance round the pins, you can check the pins are free by nudging them sideways with a jeweler's screwdriver as they cool to check they haven't re-stuck to the copper lining.  If they are snug fits, your options are vey limited: hot air to heat all the pins to solder melting point simultaneously, or break the switch open so you can pull out one pin at a time, or buy ChipQuik low temperature desoldering alloy so you can keep all the joints molten simultaneously with only a soldering iron.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 11:08:03 pm by Ian.M »

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 05:43:29 pm »
If the removed component will be trashed, consider cutting out as much as possible before desoldering, getting it down to individual leads that aren't connected to anything else.  Desoldering some components can be tricky without the right tools.  If I have to replace, say, an 8-pin IC I'll just snip all the leads at the IC body and desolder each pin separately.  Much less chance of damaging the pads from too much heat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf