Author Topic: M.2 M key SSD to 2.5" SATA..?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline UnkleBidiiTopic starter

• Contributor
M.2 M key SSD to 2.5" SATA..?
« on: May 12, 2020, 02:21:00 am »
Hello,

Is it possible to use a "laying around" M.2 NVMe/PCIe M key SSD to 2.5" SATA in old laptop through adapter? I'm getting all times of answers and can't seem to get a correct one. I want to use a M.2 ssd that I removed after an upgrade and put it into an older laptop that I resurrected after a MB replacement. But any adapters I've found don't look built for a M key SSD and I've been hearing that NVMe/PCIe won't work with SATA... I'm learning as I go. I figured just buying a 2.5" crucial SSD might just be the safe bet but don't really want to spend the money for another drive.. Any input is appreciated.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: M.2 M key SSD to 2.5" SATA..?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:56:47 am »
No, while it's not theoretically impossible, it's practically impossible, and atop that, there is almost zero reason to do so. SATA SSDs are far cheaper than NVMe ones, and far more common. You'd effectively need an AHCI controller that somehow controls the NVMe controller, and I just don't think anyone's done that nor will do that.

You can absolutely go the other way around though, and they do sell SATA controllers that fit on NVMe M.2 cards, but that might not be of any use to you.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 07:08:02 am »
So it would just be more practical to seek a SATA SSD if I decided to upgrade? I heard of this bottlenecking issue and wondered if a SSD would still be a faster boot/performance than a HDD..

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 11:01:01 am »
Just buy a new SSD for the old laptop. They're only $30 to maybe $100 or so, depending on how much storage you want. I've seen boot times improve anywhere from 3x to 10x, and overall speed is better also. Particularly with Windows, which can't seem to do anything without endlessly grinding away at the drive.

Offline chriva

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 11:57:43 am »
There are M keyed drives with SATA interfaces and those would work. No idea if you can find adapters for it tho.

If it has PCI-E you're better off just tossing it and get a proper 2.5" drive. It'd need active electronics and a controller which would more than likely be more expensive than a regular ssd from the store.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 03:16:43 pm »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I figure I will just look for a 1tb 2.5" SSD. This laptop is actually ok with the HDD, but I am sure it will be better with a SSD. It's still a good PC. One to keep on the bench as I have a HP spectre and MacBook Pro(Idk why, lol) as well. This PC dying is actually why I ended up with the 2017 Spectre/Pro. I like it for its 15.6" screen.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 09:00:05 pm »
I have had that problem too with customers bringing these types of SSD's where they failed and want to get their work off so I brought some adaptors to fit them.
See pictures.

I have a few and some enclosures somewhere. I remember some enclosures one which I brought, a  Startech which were around £30 and I don't think that is worth it maybe depending on what the drive is worth and that's if it works.

To me I don't trust most of these no name converters for long term or anything serious like some of the variety I brought, things can go wrong with them as they have the components, voltage regulators in there, I see many of them selling cheap and I suspect cheap components and if they fail (not suspecting the adaptor) and you put another SSD that may appear not to work whereas if you buy the sata sdd there's nothing in the middle to fail or break.

With the Apple non standard connector SSD's I didn't have a choice, the customers was willing to risk it but it worked on that occasion and I brought many different types and varieties.

Edit: As I was mistaken the boards I have are all B key no M key board and I misread the title.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:39:25 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 10:55:12 pm »
I have had that problem too with customers bringing these types of SSD's where they failed and want to get their work off so I brought some adaptors to fit them.
See pictures.

I have a few and some enclosures somewhere. I remember some enclosures one which I brought, a  Startech which were around £30 and I don't think that is worth it maybe depending on what the drive is worth and that's if it works.

To me I don't trust most of these no name converters for long term or anything serious like some of the variety I brought, things can go wrong with them as they have the components, voltage regulators in there, I see many of them selling cheap and I suspect cheap components and if they fail (not suspecting the adaptor) and you put another SSD that may appear not to work whereas if you buy the sata sdd there's nothing in the middle to fail or break.

With the Apple non standard connector SSD's I didn't have a choice, the customers was willing to risk it but it worked on that occasion and I brought many different types and varieties.

These adapters are all B key for M.2 SATA drives..

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 11:36:26 pm »

These adapters are all B key for M.2 SATA drives..

I see, I am sorry about that, my mistake, I confused the two, notch is on the other side and I misread stuff.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:40:09 pm by MrMobodies »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf