Products > Computers

Microsoft ending Win7 support soon, should I get Ubuntu?

<< < (28/30) > >>

FreddieChopin:
PROTIP: Don't screw with partitioning, GRUB or other boot manager crap. It'll alway be a mess.

Buy another hard drive (preferably SSD).
Disconnect SATA cable from your Windows hard drive.
Connect this new HD and install Linux on it.
Reconnect your Windows drive.

If you need to boot into Linux just press F12 during boot and select it.

malagas_on_fire:

--- Quote from: FreddieChopin on September 14, 2019, 07:02:15 pm ---PROTIP: Don't screw with partitioning, GRUB or other boot manager crap. It'll alway be a mess.

Buy another hard drive (preferably SSD).
Disconnect SATA cable from your Windows hard drive.
Connect this new HD and install Linux on it.
Reconnect your Windows drive.

If you need to boot into Linux just press F12 during boot and select it.

--- End quote ---

One Disk per SO is preferable situation since no grub or uefi will "eat" each other. Had trouble in the past using dual boot where windows by will would overrite the grub or grub would no boot to windows properly after some windows updates.
Go to bios and select which Dist should boot first.

If you dual boot is last resort $$$ be sure to install first windows, resize partition using windows disk manager and then install live using the empty data.  Be sure to have the live handy to repair grub in case of any of bad boot. Also edit /etc/default/grub and change the default Boot entry to either Linux or Windows . To check where they are , type :

--- Code: ---awk -F\' '/menuentry / {print $2}' /boot/grub/grub.cfg

--- End code ---

They are indexed from 0 to last one :D Just count them.

james_s:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on September 10, 2019, 02:48:37 pm ---Linux maybe, why Ubuntu though?

(And... let's start a new flame war :-DD )

--- End quote ---

Ubuntu is certainly not the end-all, be-all Linux distro but it is one of the most polished and best supported ones around so it's what I typically recommend people start with. Mint is also quite polished and targeted directly as people coming from Windows.

By the time you get to where one of the countless other distros might be a better fit for your needs you'll probably know enough to decide that for yourself. This is of course assuming that you're looking for a stable, polished OS to use to run the software you want to use. If the goal is something else then look for something targeting your specific use case.

techman-001:

--- Quote from: james_s on September 15, 2019, 11:23:54 pm ---
--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on September 10, 2019, 02:48:37 pm ---Linux maybe, why Ubuntu though?

(And... let's start a new flame war :-DD )

--- End quote ---

Ubuntu is certainly not the end-all, be-all Linux distro but it is one of the most polished and best supported ones around so it's what I typically recommend people start with. Mint is also quite polished and targeted directly as people coming from Windows.

By the time you get to where one of the countless other distros be a better fit for your needs you'll probably know enough to decide that for yourself. This is of course assuming that you're looking for a stable, polished OS to use to run the software you want to use. If the goal is something else then look for something targeting your specific use case.

--- End quote ---

Actually Mint is now third from the top at https://www.distrowatch.com/ with Ubuntu at number 5.

The most popular distro is  MX Linux           https://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mx

MX is a cooperative venture between the antiX and former MEPIS Linux communities and Debian based.

I have Mx installed on a Thinkpad Laptop and it has been flawless.

Laptops are difficult for any non Windows OS, but MX has everything working from the tiny white LED in the screen that illuminates the keyboard at night to buttons controlling the sound and screen intensity/contrast. Fan, sound, suspend and wake up on lid closure all work.

MX also only installs a Systemd framework for Linux apps that need it without using Systemd itself.

I use *bsd on this Workstation, but Linux is much more polished for Laptops and MX is currently the best of them in my opinion.

james_s:
I'll add MX to my list of distros to check out. I've been pretty happy with Ubuntu but I'm not married to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version