Products > Computers

Microsoft ending Win7 support soon, should I get Ubuntu?

<< < (29/30) > >>

AngusBeef:

--- Quote from: james_s on September 16, 2019, 01:01:15 am ---I'll add MX to my list of distros to check out. I've been pretty happy with Ubuntu but I'm not married to it.

--- End quote ---
I tried a variety after I was about to get a Dell laptop I was given working... Ultimately settled on Manjaro Linux. I think long term I will prefer Arch Linux when I have the time but the install for Arch took me 3 evenings following a wiki... and I fucked it up. Meanwhile in 5 minutes I got Manjaro running. Manjaro benefits from much of Arch Linux but takes a little bit of the turbo-nerd-Unix-god edge off.

Mint is a branch of Ubuntu is a branch of Debian. Most of Mint's repository seems to be Ubuntu which is always lagging behind. The repositories for Arch/Manjaro (they're the same) are much more current.

Edit: the learning curve for Arch (not Manjaro) isn't just steep, it's literally an overhanging cliff with rocks falling down on your head.

james_s:
Arch is precisely the opposite of what the typical PC user wants. It's great as as a hardcore learning experience for the masochist but suggesting it to a noob is an almost guaranteed way to put them off Linux forever.

AngusBeef:

--- Quote from: james_s on September 16, 2019, 05:23:41 am ---Arch is precisely the opposite of what the typical PC user wants. It's great as as a hardcore learning experience for the masochist but suggesting it to a noob is an almost guaranteed way to put them off Linux forever.

--- End quote ---
Spot on. But that's where Manjaro is the best of both worlds - it gives you all the awesome of Arch without the masochism

wilfred:

--- Quote from: ChunkyPastaSauce on September 04, 2019, 06:48:24 am ---
--- Quote from: engineheat on September 04, 2019, 01:53:48 am ---Trying to figure out what my options are other than buying a Win10 license.

--- End quote ---

In most cases windows 10 upgrade is still free. You install Windows 10 using ISO, skip entering key at install. Then after it installs and booted, you go to the settings activation window and enter in the windows 7 key. Windows activation then issues you a new win 10 key

--- End quote ---

If (just for discussion) you found a Win7 desktop on the roadside and found it to be 2.5 times better than your current machine is this one of the free Win10 upgrade options. I'm inclined to convert to an SSD and keep the HD as a WIN7 fallback if I need it for old hardware.  The WIn7 would be definitely offline only.

AngusBeef:

--- Quote from: wilfred on September 16, 2019, 05:31:00 am ---
--- Quote from: ChunkyPastaSauce on September 04, 2019, 06:48:24 am ---
--- Quote from: engineheat on September 04, 2019, 01:53:48 am ---Trying to figure out what my options are other than buying a Win10 license.

--- End quote ---

In most cases windows 10 upgrade is still free. You install Windows 10 using ISO, skip entering key at install. Then after it installs and booted, you go to the settings activation window and enter in the windows 7 key. Windows activation then issues you a new win 10 key

--- End quote ---

If (just for discussion) you found a Win7 desktop on the roadside and found it to be 2.5 times better than your current machine is this one of the free Win10 upgrade options. I'm inclined to convert to an SSD and keep the HD as a WIN7 fallback if I need it for old hardware.  The WIn7 would be definitely offline only.

--- End quote ---
Assuming it's got a valid Win 7 key then yes. Just read up before you use an SSD as your lone hard drive - it's 100% doable but you may run into an issue booting up if Windows formats the drive incorrectly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version