Author Topic: MS gives to GNOME  (Read 2944 times)

Online SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: chris_leyson, MK14

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: MS gives to GNOME
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 08:13:11 pm »
Don't forget that Microsoft Loves Open Source.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 08:22:42 pm »
Ahaha!

Well, if you consider how GNOME has inspired the Windows 11 GUI and how "microsofty" the GNOME project has become anyway, it all makes sense.
The donation looks a bit ridiculous in that regard, though.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 08:27:54 pm »
Yep. The whole Microsoft, C#, Xamarin, Gnome thing was a bit weird.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 08:37:31 pm »
10000 USD? Wow such much feels good.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 08:47:01 pm »
Every 10k to GNOME is 10k too much >:D

The following users thanked this post: chickenHeadKnob, bd139, MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 11:29:00 pm »
I don't often  use it but one thing I absolutely hated was the "activities" panel which looked very stupid and bloated to me after an update to the LTS edition in 2011. I was about to revert then found I could remove the components for it and add some components back and the hidden path bar thing later introduced that resembled the breadcrumbs but couldn't type in it without pressing a button the side which is not what I want. I can't remember if there was a setting or I had manually edit something but I got it good again with some messing about. The following releases I tried XFCE and reverted to the old copy I had for years.

Last time I tried Gnome and XFCE in 2020 I found that the inactive windows are dimmed which I found very annoying and according to one discussion with the developers basically saying "it's built it", there's nothing you can do and won't fix or providing settings for. So a big nono. With some help on the Eevblog IRC was recommended me KDE with Plasma which I found was full of annoying things too but not as bad as that as I found I could switch all the nonsense animations and effects off.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 11:31:08 pm by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 01:32:38 am »
The sad thing about desktop environments on Linux (but this has been a drama almost right from the start) is that it's only getting worse instead of getting better.

And the second sad thing is that most of the newer DEs that are "marketed" as being all new and shiny and great (such as Deepin, Pop...) are based on... Gnome. Talk about diversity. :-DD

KDE is, depending on your own taste and perspective, moderately to much better, but I don't think it's quite there either. Then you have XFCE/LXDE which have the decency of being lightweight... There's also Enlightenment, which is interesting software-wise but has been in perpetual "alpha" state for like 2 decades, and still looks like a toy as far as the users are concerned.

But all of them pretty much look like toys. Not saying they are unusable, but they are not great and things are not improving.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, MrMobodies

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 06:25:09 am »
Totally agree. What was sad was that gnome 2 was actually the last competent attempt at something usable. All it needed was lots of small improvements and maintenance but no they rewrote it in some grand vision which was clearly crack inspired. And no reconfiguring later gnome versions is not an adequate solution.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 09:21:35 am »
that it's only getting worse instead of getting better

gtk-itsef is only getting worse instead of getting better  :o :o :o
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 09:23:38 am »
Enlightenment, which is interesting software-wise but has been in perpetual "alpha" state for like 2 decades, and still looks like a toy as far as the users are concerned.

Enlightenment + hacks = nice things
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 09:36:52 am »
Anyway, I don't even need a "Desktop Environment"  :o :o :o

What I only need is a "Tiling Window Manager" written in C, with AP for being notified of every single event!

Everything else is futile and only consumes RAM and CPU cycles.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 09:56:13 am »
Sounds like you need a Mac  :-DD. That does tiled full screen window management, virtual desktops, the terminal has split screen, multi-window and tab capability and it's as smooth as butter with gesture control. Also being ARM it doesn't matter about the cycles because the battery lasts forever  :-DD

But fuck tiling terminals. That's just horrible way of working. "oh fun I want to use the mouse to select something in the left pane of a window. Oh now I have to deal with the whole line or wrapping in a pane". Ugh.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 10:37:33 am »
KDE is, depending on your own taste and perspective, moderately to much better, but I don't think it's quite there either. Then you have XFCE/LXDE which have the decency of being lightweight...

Whenever i install linux on a laptop, or on a VM, i always use XFCE. As you say at least it's lightweight. I used to like Gnome 2 (simple, not wasting a ton of screen space)
I don't understand the resource hog of KDE (older, i hear now it's better?) and that any modern DE, wasn't linux supposed to be fast?
Seriously, every time try a new DE, that only increases my liking for windows 10 and its explorer. Minimal, non intrusive, doesn't have the look and feel of children's software.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 10:56:40 am »
Yeh, it would probably help linux adoption if there was a desktop which just mimicked Win10 look n feel. That would lower the first hurdle for new users, but they'd still have plenty of other crap to deal with TBH.

Icaza always seemed like the MS funded trojan horse to me, they were backing him just incase he managed to stir the hornets nest and muddy the waters, so to speak. Open core c# is similar game. The 10K to Gnome is peanuts in comparison.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 11:28:47 am »
Totally agree.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 11:50:23 am »
But fuck tiling terminals. That's just horrible way of working. "oh fun I want to use the mouse to select something in the left pane of a window. Oh now I have to deal with the whole line or wrapping in a pane". Ugh.

umm, that's bullshit  :bullshit:

You are confusing Tiling Terminals Manager (e.g. Tmux) with Tiling Windows Manager (e.g. dwm(1)).

A Tiling Windows Manager does nothing but organizing the screen into mutually non-overlapping tiled-frames, so inside each tiled-window you can comfortably select things with your mouse without wrapping in a pane.

(1) actually dwm also allows moving and resizing windows with the mouse

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 12:16:41 pm »
Yeh, it would probably help linux adoption if there was a desktop which just mimicked Win10 look n feel.
Ive stuck with gnome classic or whatever they call it, none of the stupid "prettying" just a desktop that looks an works almost like it did 20 years ago, how i likes it.Im sure most windows users would get used to it pretty quick once they realise the "start" button is top left instead of bottom left

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 01:05:28 pm »
Gnome is the best desktop manager ever. It just stays out of the way and lets me use my applications. Best experience ever.

People sound like they are constantly fiddling with their "desktops" and have a need to tweak this and that. You must be doing something wrong. I don't want to see the "desktop", much less fiddle around with it all day long. That's not what I use computers for.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 02:12:30 pm »
Lovely! Can't wait to see a bloated WinGnome. >:D

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 03:11:51 pm »
People sound like they are constantly fiddling with their "desktops" and have a need to tweak this and that.

I just want it left alone like it was before.

There are lots of changes over the years some of it I find no problem. It is when I am being disadvantaged in some way or features are introduced that have no purpose to me but to interfere and make easy things difficult with what I am trying doing which is why I feel the need either adjust these things or get rid of them.

For example:
Windows Vista:
Breadcrumbs, interfere's with my viewing of the address bar so AveNobreadcrumbs or Classicshell stops that behaviour.
I rememered at one time. One image file in a folder can trigger on return a change to "Extra Large Icons" with the filenames hidden. To get it the filenames back I had to go into Tools -> Folder options -> some other tab and change it to "Picture and Videos" then "Hide file name" would appear or be selectable. Then it would it do it again but fortunately there were work arounds for it.

Gnome:
Activities pane
Too big and in the way of everything else so when I select it it covers up what I might be still looking at.

Inactive window shading:
When I am working on files and directories with different windows open what good does it do obscuring my view of the window by dimming it?
In my opinion very stupid idea. Why can they just leave it alone like before when it wasn't a problem?

Now you can see why I change these things and tweak stuff for my convenience so I can use it without frustration.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2022, 06:28:13 pm »
Totally agree. What was sad was that gnome 2 was actually the last competent attempt at something usable. All it needed was lots of small improvements and maintenance but no they rewrote it in some grand vision which was clearly crack inspired. And no reconfiguring later gnome versions is not an adequate solution.

Well, there was some potential in Gnome 2, but it was still "toyish".
The attempts at making it more modern while retaining the good things, like Mate or Cinnamon, yeah. That's usable, but not terribly good.

Designing a good desktop environment is not easy. And yes, Apple has managed to do something not too bad. Unfortunately, others just try to mimick macOS but only manage to take the worst of it along with some eye candy and think they've made it. Nope. :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2022, 06:41:18 pm »
That’s because the last 20% of the job takes 80% of the effort and no one has yet invested time into it because it’s more fun creating new things.

Having spent years trying to get bugs fixed in open source software has actually put me off it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2022, 06:50:30 pm »
That’s because the last 20% of the job takes 80% of the effort and no one has yet invested time into it because it’s more fun creating new things.

Yes, and that's the problem in general with hobby vs. professional projects.

There's always a point in any project where the challenge part is over and finalizing it is tough and boring. That's often where a hobby project stops (and we have all experienced that), while in a professional setting, you just have to take it to completion. If you wanna keep your job.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2022, 06:57:14 pm »
Clearly never worked in the enterprise software market. 20% is done  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf