Products > Computers

PC or Mac laptop for EE student?

<< < (4/6) > >>

MMMarco:

--- Quote from: Bicurico on June 12, 2023, 08:09:09 am ---So they need to use bootcamp, which most don't know what it is or how to set it up, and even then they lack the DEL key and have worse experience.

--- End quote ---

Bootcamp doesn't exist on Apple Silicon, so there's no way to natively run x86-64 Windows on them.

Just wanted to have mentioned that.

Bicurico:
Well spotted! Forgot about that, which makes this choice even worse.

aeberbach:
Does your son's university maintain a Citrix or similar environment? They usually cater for students that can't run or install software locally and that's a fallback for Mac users.

Virtualisation: Parallels 18 can run Windows on an Apple Silicon Mac. I know people run Solidworks that way. (Obviously it's completely unsupported and IT will laugh if you ask for help.) And it is not as efficient since there is instruction translation going on, but the Apple Silicon machines have power to spare. Worth watching:

I have a M1 Pro Mac, I have a Lenovo P1G4 with Nvidia A2000 (for Solidworks mostly). The Lenovo is nice and upgradable, just pop off the bottom cover 1TB fast SSD and 32GB RAM without paying the Lenovo tax. But using it really feels like a step backwards when the thing gets so hot and the fan revs up at the slightest challenge. I have only rarely heard the Mac fan and it never gets as loud. If I could get by with the Mac after investigating the requirements of the course that's what I would buy.

DiTBho:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on June 11, 2023, 07:45:28 pm ---Not that I know of. Very few EDA software run on MacOS

--- End quote ---

yup, things like

{ Solidworks, Rhino, .. } -> intel/x86 only
{ Avoget MPU/CPU suite, .. }  -> intel/x86 only

plus, EagleCad on MacOSX v10.4 was unable to correctly operate on projects made with EagleCad on Windows.

So, probably it was some endianness problem, I don't know, but, although nowadays both x86-* and Apple M1 are little-endian, we'd better also consider these possible software annoyances which then waste time  :-//

aeberbach:

--- Quote from: DiTBho on June 12, 2023, 12:30:34 pm ---
--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on June 11, 2023, 07:45:28 pm ---Not that I know of. Very few EDA software run on MacOS

--- End quote ---

yup, things like

{ Solidworks, Rhino, .. } -> intel/x86 only

--- End quote ---

Rhino is for Apple Silicon now. https://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino-for-mac/evaluation I doubt Solidworks ever will be, Dassault seem intent on making it worse with their stupid 3DExperience rather than improving any part at all.

--- Quote ---EagleCad on MacOSX v10.4
--- End quote ---

OS X 10.4 was released in 2004, >18 years ago. Any bearing on current state of things?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version