Author Topic: PC/laptop working and processing so much harder on low quality data connection  (Read 930 times)

Offline abdulbadiiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Why PC, mainly laptop, wifi is working and processing so much harder and more heavily when the internet data it receives is at low speed and/or intermittent, as opposed and not due to weak wifi signal strength i.e. its low dB.

What actually is whichever processor(s) is/are working and/or searching on, and what actually has triggered it/them to obligatorily working and processing in such the mentioned conditioned ?
How  do we mitigate or solve this (mainly my) problem ?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 06:32:55 am by abdulbadii »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure what you mean by this? This is something I haven't noticed on any machine, ever...

Typically higher data rates require more processing power to cope with the data rate, not the other way around.

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
I'm not sure what you mean by this? This is something I haven't noticed on any machine, ever...

My old Lenovo Carbon X1 2015 showed me something similar under Windows 10.
I sold the laptop, and bought an Apple M1, I have never verified with Linux and It's too late now  :-//

edit:
typo
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:56:33 am by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator

My old Lenovo Carbon X1 2015 showed my something similar under Windows 10.
I sold the laptop, and bought an Apple M1, I have never verified with Linux and It's too late now  :-//

Sounds like a driver issue more than anything. I mean I'm not a programmer, but in my real-world experience, low bit rates over a normally fast interface does not equate to increased system load.

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
Sounds like a driver issue more than anything. I mean I'm not a programmer, but in my real-world experience, low bit rates over a normally fast interface does not equate to increased system load.

Yup, precisely what I mean: probably we are talking about bugs and/or defects with the OS.

I didn't have the time to check for a WiFi driver alternative, I received the laptop already installed and I simply used it as-is.

Now I am reverse engineering a USB device that only runs on Windows XP, and I see there are stupid running programs with fancy names that monitors the WiFi and increase the system load for silly reasons.

Again, I don't have the time to investigate so ... as a workaround I'm using a wired connection and the problem has magically vanished.

This, or ... it's just that the Wifi hates me, dunno  :-//
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf