Author Topic: Please MS just go to hell...  (Read 36648 times)

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
Re: Please MS just go to hell...
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2021, 07:32:32 pm »
Are they suggesting that Windows 11 is such a resource hog that anything older than their allowed CPUs will run so slow that it will make their OS look bad??

That's exactly what they're saying. Running Windows on an older machine will make it look bad, and they don't want that.
The only winning move is not to play.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 07:34:45 pm by artag »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2021, 07:46:45 pm »
the most worshiped OS today only run on 1GHz arm cpus, majority of people only want to fool themselves around with sounds and videos and some manually controlled simulated dream worlds. go fuck with that madness. that statement only revelant to minority of people and the real power hog is things like HFSS (EM simulators) and surreal blend 3d renderers out there, which not much people use them.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline PKTKSTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2021, 08:41:19 am »
People still pay money for Windows?

Actually, yes. Of course.

Server editions are also of course paid for. And expensive.

I dont know about the rest of world..

But here there is virtually no chance to buy a laptop without oem MS pre installed

Of course pre paid

Some desktops with some buntus trying to emulate that ms thing just failed and vanished

So 99% chance one will have to deal with the golden eggs

Paul

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2021, 04:41:46 pm »

But here there is virtually no chance to buy a laptop without oem MS pre installed

Of course pre paid
Or as i found a few years back,you can buy a machine without an os but it will be more expensive than the same machine with windows pre installed

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2021, 06:24:49 pm »
Are they suggesting that Windows 11 is such a resource hog that anything older than their allowed CPUs will run so slow that it will make their OS look bad??

That's exactly what they're saying. Running Windows on an older machine will make it look bad, and they don't want that.

Not that it really matters, but it's not really what this says.

Even Windows 11 would work perfectly fine with CPUs from 10 years ago. Moore's law for CPUs has clearly slowed down significantly. And the resources Win 11 would use more than with older versions would essentially be related to all the telemetry and online accounts crap. Win 10's (and 11 is probably very close) kernel itself is actually not bad and all in all more efficient than previous versions. The GUI, well it's not all that fancy either. With any reasonable grahics card, it should be plenty.

Now there can be reasons for stopping the support of older hardware, even if it's perfectly fit performance-wise. First, to cut development costs: the more hardware you have to support, the more maintenance and testing you have to do. It can get extremely expensive over the years.

Of course, another reason, as many can guess, would be purely commercial: by pushing sales of new hardware, they give incentives for hardware makers to buy OEM licenses, because it gives them a good reason to sell to their customers for buying new machines.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2021, 09:32:36 pm »
'Ole Gary has been going off like sour milk...

iratus parum formica

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2021, 10:11:26 pm »
I dont know about the rest of world..

In the US and Europe you can buy pc's / notebooks from Dell, Lenovo and HP with Linux pre-installed instead of windows,
they are also cheaper than with windows.
Ofcourse you need to order them online, you will not find them in the supermarkets.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2021, 11:14:09 pm »
i guess we should expect an influx of inexpensive fairly new computers on eBay that are not good for W11 but perfectly good for other things....
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2021, 12:38:31 am »
i guess we should expect an influx of inexpensive fairly new computers on eBay that are not good for W11 but perfectly good for other things....

That would be better than seeing them end up as piles of electronics garbage. Unfortunately...

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2021, 01:04:50 am »

All the Linux peeps will have a hard on from here to you know where.
iratus parum formica

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2021, 03:21:26 am »
I was expecting them to finally drop 32 bit or something, not this.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2021, 05:53:19 am »

They did that, too.

This is all about selling hardware.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2021, 06:48:22 am »

They did that, too.

This is all about selling hardware.

May be an ironic ad on the radio here today. Dell Australia are advertising end of financial year laptops 'for windows 10'. I wonder if any of these Dell stink bombs will qualify for win11.

Dell Australia lost me a few years ago when they refused to sell the flagship Dell/Linux Laptop here with Linux installed and not Windows.

I bet Dell are stuck with piles of laptops and PCs that will invariably go out with Win10 on them to an unsuspecting public.

iratus parum formica

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2021, 07:55:04 am »
By now it has been clarified by MS that the CPU and TPM requirements are "soft".
I think that simply is what is required to get a nice Winsows 11 sticker for a new system.

Only 1GHz, 2 cores, 4 GB of RAM and TPM 1.2 are hard requirements.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, Jacon

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2021, 04:39:46 pm »
People like me might probably get a single windows 11 computer and remote into it with all other "outdated" computers.
Quite the direction, Microsoft is going towards...Just a while ago, they were trying to run windows on ARM which are usually slower but made equal with hardware acceleration parts (correct me of I'm wrong).
hi..
you cant even get the latest update with a i7-4770 you are stuck with ver 1909 witch ends support in 2022 :-(
Can't conform... But I did read somewhere, if you haven't upgraded to the latest windows 10 from 1909 by a set date, you'd have to reinstall to get the latest.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 04:46:35 pm by Raj »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2021, 06:13:14 pm »
Microsoft creating millions of tonnes of e-waste again there.

As for TPM it does require TPM 2.0 still. TPM 1.2 or opt out is possible for hardware vendors only. I’m sure those builds will leak of course.

What is more worrying than all of this is the mandatory webcam requirement (probably for windows hello which sucks dick big time) and the worst undiscussed thing being secure boot enabled. That means no more frigging vendor IDs for USB devices that use generic chips with custom IDs (a shit load of test gear does this).

It’s a fucking pile of dog shit.

Edit: also this shows what total clowns they are https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/24/22548753/microsofts-windows-11-live-stream-technical-difficulties
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 06:19:18 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, SiliconWizard

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2021, 06:56:21 pm »
Someone's waste is my resource.
In pretty sure, techies of the world would happily buy all that to make their own Linux servers, raid arrays, maybe even crypto miners or web servers

As for problems windows hello, and incompatible devices. I'm pretty sure enterprises would prevent that from happening by demanding it isn't so.
Secure boot is simply a check for what you're booting up is really what you think it is and not a malware. I doubt it'll brick and device.

Then maybe, they'll still continue with all this bull crap and enterprice customers will continue to use xp and win 7 for some applications like they are right now.

I'm worried that ability to dual boot will go away.
I sometimes boot into Linux from time to time.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:03:25 pm by Raj »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2021, 07:15:40 pm »
Runing the newest Dev chanel version fine on a i5-7400 with an tpm in it, used a trick to do the installation    thks Win10  loll

For the os side:   they fuc#^%$# ed up real good this time, more mouse clicks to do the job, more crapware than ever ....

They ripped off Mac and Linux desktop look and funnctions loll     Un impressed so far ..... well see   

If they receive strong negative feedback  they may soften the requirements

My tpm module was at 12$ usd, now sold for a mere 100-120$ usd    :horse:  :palm:

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2021, 08:03:10 pm »
They ripped off Mac and Linux desktop look and funnctions loll

Should read: They hired Mac and Linux desktop developers.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2021, 08:20:34 pm »
Might actually be a dealbreaker for me...

In the list of not supported features, it lists this innocent looking item:

The only possible location for the Taskbar is on the lower edge of the screen.

:wtf:

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2021, 08:35:50 pm »
They ripped off Mac and Linux desktop look and funnctions loll

Should read: They hired Mac and Linux desktop developers.

No they got their existing developers to do it. This was after they pissed all the other ones off and they left and went to work for Google and Apple. What is left of Windows is a C rate Linux theme you used to get on a Drupal site randomly circa 2003 with all the sores sticking out like Linux did in 2003 (i.e. bits of Motif here, bits of Qt there, bits of raw Xt elsewhere).

Windows 11 looks like a programmer did the UI design and that's a terrible terrible terrible thing and I say that as mostly a programmer these days.

As for their perpetual wanking over the start menu redesigns from them on every fucking windows release since 95, whyyyyyyyy?!?!?!? It doesn't improve anyone's lives. In fact all the start menu does over the lifecycle of any windows release is attract flies because the implementation is excrement. Ugh. All it does is make things worse, every damn time. Argh.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:37:32 pm by bd139 »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2021, 02:05:46 am »
Same thing for Ms Office, who the hell tough of a tabbed menu,  you have to add some third party software to make it usable  pfff

Stopped using Ms Office and used Open Office

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2021, 09:16:38 am »
are you going to US all the way just to collect trashes and bring them home by plane? btw i'll love to see more more modern xeon workstations come up in ebay...

...maybe even crypto miners
very funny. you must have abundant free land with river flowing next to it over there.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline OZ1LQB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2021, 10:43:37 am »
Hi Raj..
you were right, a clean install solved my problem now i have ver 21h1. :phew:

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2021, 04:20:24 pm »
are you going to US all the way just to collect trashes and bring them home by plane? btw i'll love to see more more modern xeon workstations come up in ebay...

...maybe even crypto miners
very funny. you must have abundant free land with river flowing next to it over there.

Actually the opposite. The electricity where I live, costs the highest in India, average cost is 4 cents per KWh in India, I pay 11. But my cousin does have a briefcase full of old drives that he'd gonna get for me from Canada.

Hi Raj..
you were right, a clean install solved my problem now i have ver 21h1. :phew:
Folks, now that's how microsoft wastes your day and punishes you for not upgrading in time. Pretty stupid, ain't it?
Upgrade too early and you might catch some bugs.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 04:21:57 pm by Raj »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf