Author Topic: Python go slow  (Read 1381 times)

Offline imkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Python go slow
« on: April 11, 2021, 04:39:37 pm »
Hello

Mysterious PYTHON go slow any ideas please?

Both PC's A & B are Win10 64b all latest updates, PC C is Win10 64b few months behind updates.

PC A. on my desk
 I use Cubify Design AKA Alibre for 3D CAD and it uses Python to generate STL files.
Hence whenever I create/export an STL file from within Cubify (which runs fine btw) it takes long time to start/launch  python
Also whenever I double click an STL file to launch CURA (3D printing software)  to view an STL file it take ages to launch.

PC B is in my workshop for 3d printing.
Is  also very slow when launching CURA to print an STL file, then which you start the print it takes ages to initialize the printer (start up python).
This afternoon things went completely bad and CURA will now NOT start a 3D print job at all and I have made NO changes to the system.

PC C
This PC is a workshop spare PC that has not been used for some months hence no recent updates.
It is also slow to launch CURA/python  but it does 3D print.

It is almost as if there is a time depended factor to python that has decided it is go slow time.
I have updated to latest python in PC A & B but problem is the same.

Any ideas please?

IMK
1201 Alarm

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: Python go slow
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 07:42:03 pm »
How much RAM is installed in each computer?
SSD or spinning rust primary storage, or are the files on a network share?
What processors?

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 08:06:55 pm »
Both PC's A & B are Win10 64b all latest updates, PC C is Win10 64b few months behind updates.

There is a lot more to the specifications of "a PC" than what release of Windows 10 you're running.   :palm:

Any ideas please?

Malware?
"Unexpected" background processes?
General lack of basic understanding about performance on the architecture in question?
Failing storage devices?
PEBCAK?

Offline imkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 08:39:34 pm »
16gb RAM, I5 3.6ghz, Samsung SSD, ASUS MB!
All systems performed the python tasks at expected speed few weeks ago.
Have been using these PC configurations for few years and never had python performance issues.
Something has changed and I have not changed it.
Background Head of Workstation Development (retired, been in IT for 40 years)  for Airline PC based workstations.

During python slicing, that takes ages for small 3D model CPU ~50%, 50% RAM Free

I am perplexed as to why this changed in python performance and wondering if other have similar experience

My gut feeling is a Windows 10 update has changed something, anyone else seen similar python issues.
1201 Alarm

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 09:17:32 pm »
My experience of all Windows systems that I have ever used is, updates KILL the machine.

Have you any services drinking the CPU? Check the performance monitor.

Recommended: a good trouble shooting *and free* tool is the SysInternals Suite. The process explorer would be my first go-to utility.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sysinternals-suite

Process Explorer:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Offline GodIsRealUnless DefinedInt

• Contributor
  • The Implicit None
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 07:46:22 pm »
Windows 10 is pretty junky. I've had C/C++ apps I normally use launch perfectly. Though after a year or so of updates. I couldn't be arsed trying to tie it to a Windows 10 update or an app update I've had some of my apps icon double-clicked, then nothing. Then I just read some news since nothing happened then almost 2 minutes later the app finally launches and splash screens my face. 16 cores, 64GB ram, no other programs running, fresh reboot.. Go figure. Same machine when I am in my developer workstation (dual booted into Linux) I've not had any launch delay issues.

Offline imkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 08:40:24 pm »
Update on yesterday.

The PC (PC B main workshop PC) I tried CURA 3D print and this morning it worked, although python on all system is slow to launch.
CPU is 50% thru launch and slicing etc, and only few % during the print.
So what the heck is going on i don't know, other than windows 10 and VS 2019 updates since i previously 3D printer few weeks ago.

1201 Alarm

Offline Lindley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 10:59:01 am »
Why not try Rolling back some of the Windows Updates to see if they are the cause ?  was getting printing problems  and BSD from some recent updates that related to our printer.

If you take regular system image backups or Restore Points  you could restore earlier ones ..?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf