Author Topic: Recommended Business Laptops with USB-C Charging and GFX other than Thinkpad?  (Read 946 times)

Offline MajorEETopic starter

• Contributor
Didn't see any other recent threads so forgive me if I missed them --

My Acer nitro s5 just kicked the bucket with a broken hinge and I need to get a something new but all I seem to be finding is Thinkpads at a huge price premium. ~$3k US and 4+ month lead.

Any recommendations for business use case before I dump that kinda cash on a T15 G2?

Goal:
- USB-C Charging (Portability factor, easily charge in car/plane without huge brick)
- Graphics Card (MX450 should be sufficient, or something similar)
- 16-32GB RAM
- Thunderbolt - External GPU for docked applications if/when larger more complicated stuff comes up.
- 15" with numpad for symbol entry purposes
- >1080, 2k would be awesome, 4k would be invisible to me at 15" (I run a 4k 27")

Use Case:
Matlab, Simulink, LabVIEW, Python, C/C++ (35%)
Solidworks (25%)
Altium (40%)
General office (w/multiple monitors)

Pre-pandemic I was on 2 flights a week and traveling a ton for work. I don't need something ultra portable, or high performance, but I would like to no longer have a 1 hour battery life with a 10kg brick of a power supply.

It seems that if I dump the USB-C and any concept of weight and battery life I could go with a standard gaming laptop for $850, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say first, and at that point I might as well just stick with my desktop.

Thanks!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I always have had good experience with the 'for business' laptops from Dell. It looks like some models support thunderbolt and USB-C charging. Otherwise Toshiba could be worth looking at but I have not had one in my hands for over 2 decades. Just stay clear of anything that is targeted at consumers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:10:39 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
The HP Zbook range offers some models that should address lots of your requirements- have my own (well, work-provided) Zbook 14 Gen1 for 6 years now...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
My work provided me with an HP Elitebook 840 G6 fully loaded that has been working quite well for the past year. Great quality keys, ports and overall finish.

I am also a big fan of Dell business lines, but my last three year run with the Latitude E5510 left me with a bad taste and with the impression the quality is dwindling. The laptop had great specs, but the battery swollen after just 1-1/2 years of use (out of warranty already), which almost took out the touchpad. The replacement was expensive (although on company dime) and I have 7~8 year old Dells (Latitude E6520) with batteries still in great health.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf