Author Topic: Reddit broken by wokeness? Really!  (Read 3121 times)

Offline madiresTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Reddit broken by wokeness? Really!
« on: March 24, 2023, 03:13:01 pm »
Reddit had an outage recently and they posted a post mortem: https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditEng/comments/11xx5o0/you_broke_reddit_the_piday_outage/

The nodeSelector and peerSelector for the route reflectors target the label `node-role.kubernetes.io/master`. In the 1.20 series, Kubernetes changed its terminology from “master” to “control-plane.” And in 1.24, they removed references to “master,” even from running clusters. This is the cause of our outage. Kubernetes node labels.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, I wanted a rude username

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
Re: Reddit broken by wokeness? Really!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 03:17:39 pm »
but.. it's just a refactor. What could possibly go wrong  :-DD

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 04:52:57 pm »
Reddit had an outage recently and they posted a post mortem: https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditEng/comments/11xx5o0/you_broke_reddit_the_piday_outage/

The nodeSelector and peerSelector for the route reflectors target the label `node-role.kubernetes.io/master`. In the 1.20 series, Kubernetes changed its terminology from “master” to “control-plane.” And in 1.24, they removed references to “master,” even from running clusters. This is the cause of our outage. Kubernetes node labels.

Well deserved.

A while back I tested reddit and asked a few generic questions on a few sub reddits... what a shit experience.

You need this bullshit called Karma to post a question in places, because I guess its special.  I don't know why.  Then, of the 4 questions I posted, 2 were flagged by moderators for some simple computer questions.  I literally was required to message them to explain why my question was ok.

I was left with a lack of understanding of what this "product" they are offering is.  You can ask a question, maybe.  Come log in and let us spam you.  Then try to use us and get roadblock after roadblock trying. Then get frustrated and leave.  No bother, we still email you junk and you're now a number in out next earnings call.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 04:58:48 pm »
This is yet another point why upgrading a live k8s cluster is a dangerous affair. It's better to launch a new cluster, test, then switch over.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 05:02:36 pm »
Yes, but think of all those people whose lives were improved by that change.

The following users thanked this post: Stray Electron, Karel, mapleLC, Norbert

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 06:32:40 pm »
That's hilarious.

Reddit is a toxic swamp anyway, it's like the forum version of Twitter. You can post something that is factually true and get banned without any explanation because it pisses off the wrong people.

The following users thanked this post: Karel

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 07:53:01 pm »
Even my cynical self thought there must be some innocent explanation for this. Nope:

https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-cluster-lifecycle/kubeadm/2067-rename-master-label-taint

Motivation

The Kubernetes project is moving away from wording that is considered offensive. A new working group WG Naming was created to track this work, and the word "master" was declared as offensive. A proposal was formalized for replacing the word "master" with "control plane". This means it should be removed from source code, documentation, and user-facing configuration from Kubernetes and its sub-projects.

https://github.com/kubernetes/community/tree/master/archive/wg-naming

Goals

Evaluate language and naming choices within the Kubernetes project, with a specific initial focus of:
        Removing barriers to contribution and adoption by replacing harmful language with neutral terms whenever possible, including but not limited to language linked to racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, or discrimination against any protected or historically underrepresented group.
        Improving clarity of codebases and documentation by replacing idioms, metaphors and slang specific to the English language
    Create a list of harmful terms with proposed replacements
    Define how any member of the Kubernetes project can recommend language, how others can evaluate that proposal, and how to implement replacements across all codebases.
        Provide an easily findable location for language recommendations and follow-up issues, similar to an architectural decision record
        Define long-term ownership of this process
    Work with stakeholder SIGs to implement the changes recommended. We anticipate the following:
        Provide stakeholder SIGs with guidance on naming, language conventions, and processes
        Collaborate with SIG Architecture and other stakeholders on an implementation timeline and strategies for dealing with follow-up issues from renaming, like deprecations
        Collaborate with SIG Docs and SIG Contributor Experience on documenting language recommendations and processes
        Work with the Code of Conduct Committee to add code architecture to the COC

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 07:55:54 pm »
Now we just need to wait a while and then submit a complaint that "control plane" is offensive for some vague reason.

This kind of nonsense really drives me up the wall. Inanimate objects don't have feelings, it's ok to command them to do things, master and slave perfectly reflect this relationship. I think there is a real problem with people simply not grasping the concept of context.

The following users thanked this post: Stray Electron

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 08:56:15 pm »
Now we just need to wait a while and then submit a complaint that "control plane" is offensive for some vague reason.

This kind of nonsense really drives me up the wall. Inanimate objects don't have feelings, it's ok to command them to do things, master and slave perfectly reflect this relationship. I think there is a real problem with people simply not grasping the concept of context.
Carefull, you might just find yourself blacklisted. Which is a list of banned people who are, black? Oops Reddit, that's another one for the verb mangler. Thinks, is the noun Reddit offensive to native Americans? Maybe now I've said it? I really must change my Marcie avatar.

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 09:57:58 pm »
This is yet another point why upgrading a live k8s cluster is a dangerous affair. It's better to launch a new cluster, test, then switch over.

An old employee suggested I give a Kubernetes product a try, thankfully the comedy here has spared me the trouble, I can safely avoid it. "The message" is plastered everywhere, I don't need it in software dev. If this is what this company is focused on, the its not software. Its also clear they are charging too much for their products to squander resources in these stroke the woke endeavors.  Oh, the product was created at Google, another massive red flag to avoid it.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 10:05:28 pm »
alternatives?

p.s. it's FOSS. it doesn't cost you anything to run it.

p.p.s. had to cross out the F. it's not free as in freedom. you are free to use it, but the design choices are enforced by a group of people which are not completely sane, as it becomes obvious from the matter we're discussing here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 10:07:53 pm by shapirus »

The following users thanked this post: mapleLC

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 10:15:39 pm »
alternatives?

p.s. it's FOSS. it doesn't cost you anything to run it.

p.p.s. had to cross out the F. it's not free as in freedom. you are free to use it, but the design choices are enforced by a group of people which are not completely sane, as it becomes obvious from the matter we're discussing here.

Indeed, and they have somewhere between 250 and 500 of them that shared the delusion. https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/kubernetes

Its the level of stupid that reminds me of a Howard Stern skit, they sent the show clowns on the street with a petition to Mercedes Benz that deemed the car color black racist, and wanted Mercedes to officially change the name to African American. People were signing it. 

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 10:46:18 pm »

:-DD

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2023, 11:05:18 pm »
Reddit is a toxic swamp anyway, it's like the forum version of Twitter. You can post something that is factually true and get banned without any explanation because it pisses off the wrong people.

There are literally tens of thousands of topics ("subreddits" or just "subs") on Reddit. They are not run by Reddit, they are run by the people who created them, which anyone can do.

I help to run the /r/riscv sub. It was created by Chris "BOOM" Celio in April 2015. He invited me to join him as the 2nd sub in November 2019 when it had grown to 2500 members. It has just passed 13.9k members and is getting pretty active. I think you would find that is is not toxic there (assuming you have some interest in that topic of course!) and we mods VERY RARELY have to actually do anything.

In fact I would not call any of the subs I frequently visit toxic. Perhaps because I only visit technical subs.

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2023, 11:10:42 pm »
Even my cynical self thought there must be some innocent explanation for this. Nope:

https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-cluster-lifecycle/kubeadm/2067-rename-master-label-taint

Motivation

The Kubernetes project is moving away from wording that is considered offensive. A new working group WG Naming was created to track this work, and the word "master" was declared as offensive. A proposal was formalized for replacing the word "master" with "control plane". This means it should be removed from source code, documentation, and user-facing configuration from Kubernetes and its sub-projects.

I wonder how long it will be before some politically correct libterd decides that every word in the English language is "Offensive" and the entire language is banned and we're all forced to use Ongato or some other obscure "minority" language.

Several other posters here have already expressed my opinion of Reddit.  It's a useless cesspool of largely clueless people IMO.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2023, 11:16:19 pm »

Motivation

I wonder how long it will be before some politically correct libterd decides that every word in the English language is "Offensive" and the entire language is banned and we're all forced to use Ongato or some other obscure "minority" language.

Several other posters here have already expressed my opinion of Reddit.  It's a useless cesspool of largely clueless people IMO.
English is of course the language of the colonisers of most parts of the planet, who oppressed the poor people. The whole language should be cancelled.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2023, 11:17:01 pm »

Like all those with improved lives from when "Parts List" became "Bill of Materials". >:(

The following users thanked this post: jonpaul, mapleLC

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2023, 11:35:34 pm »

There are literally tens of thousands of topics ("subreddits" or just "subs") on Reddit. They are not run by Reddit, they are run by the people who created them, which anyone can do.

I help to run the /r/riscv sub. It was created by Chris "BOOM" Celio in April 2015. He invited me to join him as the 2nd sub in November 2019 when it had grown to 2500 members. It has just passed 13.9k members and is getting pretty active. I think you would find that is is not toxic there (assuming you have some interest in that topic of course!) and we mods VERY RARELY have to actually do anything.

In fact I would not call any of the subs I frequently visit toxic. Perhaps because I only visit technical subs.

I've never deliberately used it. Sometimes I follow a link that ends up going to it, and if it's on my phone it pesters me nonstop to use the app or log in with Google. No, no, no, no, no, NO! I hate being pestered like that.

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2023, 12:52:21 am »

You bring up an immediate turnoff for me when I signed up to ask a few questions.  I had no idea that every one of these sub reddits had different mods and rules. It's almost unbelievable anyone uses that site for anything more than a web search result resembling the question asked. Sucked in by the lure of easy answers, I experienced a mess trying to understand how to ask a simple question without be flagged and dekarma'd.  I'm sure your sub reddit is a quiet kingdom, but its quite hard to use the site unless you burrow in on these sub reddits... and I understood that to be the opposite in design (at least the intention).

I can't see myself ever asking another question there because the website is not useful.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 12:54:32 am by mapleLC »

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2023, 12:53:10 am »

Like all those with improved lives from when "Parts List" became "Bill of Materials". >:(

Us moderns say BOM.

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2023, 01:46:54 am »

Motivation

English is of course the language of the colonisers of most parts of the planet, who oppressed the poor people. The whole language should be cancelled.

Exactly the kind of argument that I'm expecting.  I mean after all no other race/country/culture every conquered, killed, robbed, raped, exterminated or enslaved another race;  did they?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2023, 03:46:53 am »

Us moderns say BOM.

The BOM used to be my Boss-------- "Broadcast Operations Manager."

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2023, 04:57:34 am »
How do you even use Reddit? Such a wonky bizarre interface, only LinkedIn is worse than that.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2023, 07:23:49 am »
How do you even use Reddit? Such a wonky bizarre interface, only LinkedIn is worse than that.

Are we even looking at the same site?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf