Author Topic: Reddit broken by wokeness? Really!  (Read 3134 times)

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Reddit broken by wokeness? Really!
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2023, 08:01:40 am »
How do you even use Reddit? Such a wonky bizarre interface, only LinkedIn is worse than that.

Are we even looking at the same site?

Can you explain it from the perspective of a sub reddit moderator?  In that position, are you not seeing how disjointed it is to non mods?  It was really irritating to have no clue what was coming, then sit there composing a thoughtful question only to get this "HEY MAN WAIT YOU CANT DO THAT (cough cough)" bullshit from the website.  Then, it must be my fault, went somewhere else and asked something else... boom, again. F*ck this site was the next and final thought on it.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2023, 09:20:30 am »
How do you even use Reddit? Such a wonky bizarre interface, only LinkedIn is worse than that.

Can you explain it from the perspective of a sub reddit moderator?  In that position, are you not seeing how disjointed it is to non mods?  It was really irritating to have no clue what was coming, then sit there composing a thoughtful question only to get this "HEY MAN WAIT YOU CANT DO THAT (cough cough)" bullshit from the website.  Then, it must be my fault, went somewhere else and asked something else... boom, again. F*ck this site was the next and final thought on it.

No, I can't explain, because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Apparently you found an unfriendly sub, but you haven't said which one, so I really can't help you.

I just made a new burner account, using a browser I don't normally use, and made a post on /r/riscv. No problems.

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2023, 01:17:10 pm »

No, I can't explain, because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Apparently you found an unfriendly sub, but you haven't said which one, so I really can't help you.

I just made a new burner account, using a browser I don't normally use, and made a post on /r/riscv. No problems.

Try it with iPad, MacOS I cannot recall what else.  Oh, the hackintosh subreddit... I asked a question about a virtualized MacOS, oh no no boy... you need to ask that in the virtualization sub reddit. Go away from here.  Oh they dont want you either?  Eh.

I think the reason your experience is different is that you have too much domain knowledge on the platform.  It's a bit hard to separate your user experience from a novice because of this.

I didn't have a gripe about reddit before this happened, in fact I was willing to join.  The experience was so poor that I have no interest in ever using it again.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2023, 02:20:58 pm »

The one with a little red faced alien looking mascot? The one that only shows me 2-3 messages of a thread and then i have to click every single time to see every reply to a reply, otherwise the page is filled with other messages totally unrelated to my search? Thread navigation is utter shit.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2023, 02:27:43 pm »
Reddit has always been a place where conversations go to die. Its hard to tell if the software or the people are the worst aspect of it. How did this site ever gain popularity with anyone but trolls?

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2023, 06:03:37 pm »
Great. Hope it happens more.

Tag: "Master"
- "Huh... I mean, did I hear BLACK SLAVES!!?"

Woketards everywhere!

Oh, don't forget the SPI MISO/MOSI signals, it's PICO/POCI now, don't even try the other way :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:05:38 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2023, 07:25:21 pm »
Oh, don't forget the SPI MISO/MOSI signals, it's PICO/POCI now, don't even try the other way :)
TI signed under this nonsense. We know what to do.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2023, 07:40:36 pm »
Some people just want to make trouble, because they have nothing better to do. There has been a lot of this kind of master baiting recently.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2023, 07:57:49 pm »
Some people just want to make trouble, because they have nothing better to do. There has been a lot of this kind of master baiting recently.
Btw, github is on the bright-ish side in this regard. What all this madness about cancelling the word "master" started, they had to rename the default branch in new repositories from "master" to "main", because otherwise they would apparently have been cancelled themselves, but they at least left (or added?) an option to set the default name for the default branch of new repos globally for the organization or account.

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2023, 08:19:25 pm »
Try it with iPad, MacOS I cannot recall what else.  Oh, the hackintosh subreddit...

Yeah, any sub that is primarily about doing something that is illegal is likely to have strictly enforced rules about what and how you can post. I don't think that's going to be different anywhere else. If you allow pseudonymous posters to come in and fill up a forum with illegal content (or even legal but borderline content that a moneyed interest doesn't like) you'll get taken down.

Also, almost  every sub has  posting rules listed in the right sidebar that you're expected to read before posting... it sounds like you didn't and posted something that was explicitly listed as forbidden/off-topic.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:25:57 pm by abeyer »

The following users thanked this post: brucehoult

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2023, 08:21:57 pm »

Maybe Bud is using the new site. Which, yes, is useless. Obviously optimised for revenue.

The objectively best Reddit experience is to visit the old Reddit site, in a desktop browser with Reddit Enhancement Suite.

And since Reddit tries to push everyone to their new site, the Old Reddit Redirect add-on can be used to force use of the old one.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2023, 09:58:34 pm »
Reddit has some nice resources, I'm not a user but I frequently find useful information when googling.
Can't understand why the hate, which I also find against StackOverflow.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2023, 12:01:55 am »
Even my cynical self thought there must be some innocent explanation for this. Nope:

https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-cluster-lifecycle/kubeadm/2067-rename-master-label-taint

Motivation

The Kubernetes project is moving away from wording that is considered offensive. A new working group WG Naming was created to track this work, and the word "master" was declared as offensive. A proposal was formalized for replacing the word "master" with "control plane". This means it should be removed from source code, documentation, and user-facing configuration from Kubernetes and its sub-projects.

I wonder how long it will be before some politically correct libterd decides that every word in the English language is "Offensive" and the entire language is banned and we're all forced to use Ongato or some other obscure "minority" language.

Several other posters here have already expressed my opinion of Reddit.  It's a useless cesspool of largely clueless people IMO.
English is of course the language of the colonisers of most parts of the planet, who oppressed the poor people. The whole language should be cancelled.

Ironically, the "woke" movement probably wouldn't really find it workable, as it essentially originates in the USA, AFAIK.
 :popcorn:

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2023, 12:50:10 am »

The one with a little red faced alien looking mascot? The one that only shows me 2-3 messages of a thread and then i have to click every single time to see every reply to a reply, otherwise the page is filled with other messages totally unrelated to my search? Thread navigation is utter shit.

I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. Threading is better than here!

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2023, 12:57:16 am »
Btw, github is on the bright-ish side in this regard. What all this madness about cancelling the word "master" started, they had to rename the default branch in new repositories from "master" to "main", because otherwise they would apparently have been cancelled themselves, but they at least left (or added?) an option to set the default name for the default branch of new repos globally for the organization or account.
I hope all those involved handed back their masters degrees.

The following users thanked this post: madires, james_s, mapleLC

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2023, 04:46:41 pm »

And those famous names in bed with masterclass.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2023, 10:42:02 pm »

When I lived in Russia I found it confusing that it didn't matter whether you needed someone to look at your plumbing, electrical wiring, air conditioner, dishwasher, locks, car – it was always simply "Call the мастер". (different ones)

OK, in English we have master-plumbers, master-mechanics etc, but we regard the last part as being the more pertinent information!

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2023, 10:49:08 pm »

some subs have restriction to try and weed out the spammers, trolls, people that haven't been around long enough to get feel for the rules, or if a sub on something sketchy, spies 

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2023, 10:57:11 pm »
Reddit had an outage recently and they posted a post mortem: https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditEng/comments/11xx5o0/you_broke_reddit_the_piday_outage/

The nodeSelector and peerSelector for the route reflectors target the label `node-role.kubernetes.io/master`. In the 1.20 series, Kubernetes changed its terminology from “master” to “control-plane.” And in 1.24, they removed references to “master,” even from running clusters. This is the cause of our outage. Kubernetes node labels.

Well deserved.

A while back I tested reddit and asked a few generic questions on a few sub reddits... what a shit experience.

You need this bullshit called Karma to post a question in places, because I guess its special.  I don't know why.  Then, of the 4 questions I posted, 2 were flagged by moderators for some simple computer questions.  I literally was required to message them to explain why my question was ok.

I was left with a lack of understanding of what this "product" they are offering is.  You can ask a question, maybe.  Come log in and let us spam you.  Then try to use us and get roadblock after roadblock trying. Then get frustrated and leave.  No bother, we still email you junk and you're now a number in out next earnings call.
The entire site became a toxic place, but unavoidable for some information.
There are some really shady things happening with it.

Maybe Bud is using the new site. Which, yes, is useless. Obviously optimised for revenue.

The objectively best Reddit experience is to visit the old Reddit site, in a desktop browser with Reddit Enhancement Suite.

And since Reddit tries to push everyone to their new site, the Old Reddit Redirect add-on can be used to force use of the old one.
The mobile site is unusable, prompts you to open thieir app all the time.
The "flair" users gave each other cost real money, and all the receiver gets is some icons... On a post. That is not searchable after like a week.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2023, 11:02:00 pm »

If they have one. :P

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2023, 11:05:09 pm »

yes, using the old site is required if you want to stay sane

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf