Products > Computers

Sick of watercooling...

<< < (12/12)

wraper:

--- Quote from: evb149 on June 22, 2022, 08:17:52 am ---I may just end up building less critical stuff out of air / water coolers like dummy loads or such vs.

--- End quote ---
What's the point? You don't need any water cooling or heat pipes for such application. If you are into such total heat dissipation to even consider water cooling, you should use multiple pass transistors anyway. Which means that heat dissipation will be spread out. Things like water cooling or heat pipes only are needed when you have a very small area with a lot of heat generated.

SiliconWizard:
I agree there. If you are the designer of your application and said application can be implemented spreading the heat sources around, passive cooling will be no problem and much easier to handle.

The real problem with those powerful CPUs is that a very high power is dissipated over a very tiny area. Indeed not what you would typically have to deal with for a "dummy load".

SiliconWizard:
Just to add a little something - if you're interested in designing your own cooling systems for whatever application, then you could also consider what I suggested earlier: using heat pipes to conduct heat, and dissipate the heat further away from the source. This is what liquid cooling achieves "easily" (but with maintenance that comes with it), but you can also do this without any liquid.

This is how heat is dissipated in modern laptops, for instance. You can still use heatsinks and fans, or go fanless depending on the context. But the benefit is that the heatsink(s) and fan(s) can be put further away from the components to cool down, which would give you flexibility.

Actually, this is the main benefit of watercooling for computers IMO. Sure, the liquid has a good thermal capacity, but good heatpipes can be pretty close, without the hassle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version