Products > Computers

Spontaneous Hard Drive Combustion

<< < (6/8) > >>

shawty:
I guess blowing things up at some stage in an I.T. professionals career is a rite of passage :-)

Haenk:
The most interesting failure was the explosion of a Micropolis full height (afair 9GB 7200rpm). The ball bearing literally exploded while test driving (benchmarking) it on the floor, a huge cloud of oil escaped the drive. As with the first 2GB Seagate Barracuda, these fast Micropolis drives were a huge pile of ####. Very fast when working, but constantly failing.

AaronLee:

--- Quote from: Haenk on September 28, 2021, 10:10:11 am ---The most interesting failure was the explosion of a Micropolis full height (afair 9GB 7200rpm). The ball bearing literally exploded while test driving (benchmarking) it on the floor, a huge cloud of oil escaped the drive. As with the first 2GB Seagate Barracuda, these fast Micropolis drives were a huge pile of ####. Very fast when working, but constantly failing.

--- End quote ---

Micropolis - there's a name I haven't heard in ages. I remember them from the days they made floppy drives for my IMSAI 8080. I never had experience with their hard drives though.

Zero999:

--- Quote from: Nominal Animal on August 19, 2021, 10:30:02 pm ---While I've had several drives die the typical ways, I've only managed to let the magic smoke out from a single IDE drive.  I had a MOLEX power Y-splitter I used that had the +5V and +12V lines swapped on one of the forks.  Oopsie.

In 1998, I bought a Maxtor IDE HDD that was so imbalanced, running it on a flat horizontal surface it would travel about half an inch a second.  Made an awful noise, too.  The seller was so impressed they brought me a replacement the same day; I think they sent it back to the manufacturer for a looksee.
--- End quote ---
It would be interesting to take it apart.

--- Quote ---The only one combustion/explosion I can remember now, is when I had a voltage regulator on a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-S2H literally explode.  Cratered the IC and all, with an audible POP!.

--- End quote ---
Were any other parts damaged? Did you manage to repair it, at least for long enough to recover your data?

DiTBho:
My Conner 420MB ... bought in 1994, it lasted 10 years  :o  :o  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version