Products > Computers

Suggestions for a UPS (200$ max)

(1/5) > >>

ThunderZed:
I've built this basic PC desktop:
- Corsair CX450 PSU (OEM CWT RPS0053) with active PFC = 450W max
- CPU amd ryzen 2200g = cTDP 46-65W
- mobo msi b450-a pro = honestly I don't know how much Watts
- ram HyperX Predator DDR4 HX432C16PB3K2/8 Kit 8 GB (2 x 4 GB), 3200 MHz, DDR4 CL16 DIMM = I don't know exactly but I guess about 2x1.5W = about 3W
- hdd WD black @7400rpm (WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0) = 6.8W (read/write)
- monitor Acer x193w = 37W
- other stuff: basic mouse + basic keyboard + case (Sharkoon S25-w with 2 fans) = I guess just a couple of Ws
TOTAL = 111.8W for sure + mobo + other stuff = I guess it's all under 200W at max load.

Now I need a UPS but my budget isn't high enough to get the best (eg. an online UPS) so I'd like to buy a UPS with the best quality/price relationship for my goals and my PC. I don't want to spend more than 200$.
AFAIK I need a UPS that generates a pure sine wave during a blackout because of my PSU's active PFC, else please correct me.
My goal is just to preserve my PC's health from surges, brownouts and blackouts. My worst scenario is when it's raining hard because blackouts occurs randomly and sometimes quite close one to the next one, definitely I need a UPS that lets me shut my pc off correctly for 2 times (blackouts) in a row close 30 minutes the 1st one to the 2nd one.

My milestone is cyberpower cp900epfclcd, here you can get its specs, eg.: VA 900 - Watts 540 (Output Power Factor 0.60) - Line-interactive UPS Topology - Active PFC Compatible - Pure Sine Wave Output, Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR). Its current price is 200 euros (equal to 200$).
Consider I live in Italy so I can't buy, eg., cyberpower CP850PFCLCD because it's not available here nor APC BR1000MS which generates pure sine wave as well.

Finally I'd want to tell you a problem of this PC because I guess it can be related to the UPS.
I've been using a very cheap (but loaned) 800VA UPS, so bad that its datasheet didn't say what kind of output wave it generated. Almost every time a blackout occurred and this UPS supplied my PC, it happened that my PC didn't boot: I switched it on but I got only a black screen. The only solution I found was to open the case and disconnect my hdd sata plugs, then it switched on. Of course I had to switch it off directly by the power off button, than connect the hdd plugs back again and then it booted.
My guess is that cheap UPS was the culprit so I think I need a pure sine wave UPS to supply my Corsair and avoid this problem. What do you think about that?

NiHaoMike:
Get a used rackmount UPS for cheap and replace the batteries.

pqass:
I don't think a pure sine wave UPS will matter much to the switching power supply of your PC.

I've used the same APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD "Stepped Sine Wave" UPS since 2007 without it affecting the load. My load is only 150W and the UPS is rated for 780W (as read from the UPS by the apcupsd software that I use).  I purposely bought more than my need so that I don't over-tax it.  However, the two 12V 7Ah batteries didn't last more than 3.5 years; and I've done three pack replacements since. The last replacement two years ago I opted to instead attach an external (2x) 12V 18Ah pack thinking that the larger pack will cope with the abuse and thus last longer. So far, so good. If curious, see write up here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/pitfalls-on-substituting-larger-ah-battery-pack-(with-same-voltage)-on-ups/msg3145170/#msg3145170

I really don't see how booting without the HDD, then reconnecting and rebooting would matter.  I'd be sooner think that the PS wasn't properly shutdown and a hard (rear switch or plug pull) restart was needed. Did the UPS cut power after running out of battery capacity OR did your software initiate a soft power off?

pcprogrammer:
I'm using "Eaton Ellipse"  UPS models for my computers. Not pure sine wave on the output, but they keep my computers running during blackouts. Long enough to finish something and turn the computers of when the blackout starts to last more then 20 minutes.

Have not tried booting the computer on just the backup power, because well that is not what an UPS is for is it?

Reading your story about having to disconnect the hard-disks makes me think the UPS you have chokes on the startup current of the computer, which might be much higher then the normal operation current.

Take a look on their website. https://www.eaton.com

james_s:

--- Quote from: pqass on November 08, 2022, 03:34:06 am ---I don't think a pure sine wave UPS will matter much to the switching power supply of your PC.

--- End quote ---

It does matter if it's like many PC PSUs today that have active PFC, although a stepped sine wave might work, the common "modified sine wave" (square wave with dead time) will not work properly.

I have one of the Cyberpower ones the OP mentions and it's been fine. I have my tv, media center and floor lamp plugged into it, I originally got the pure sine model because the floor lamp has a dimmer and would shut off whenever the UPS kicked in.

As a side note, plugging lamps into a UPS is great, it gives you automatic emergency lighting without needing to install a dedicated emergency light.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version