Author Topic: Switch a bunch of USB Device on/ off remote?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Switch a bunch of USB Device on/ off remote?
« on: February 16, 2022, 06:55:41 pm »
Hi
I asked elsewhere and got not a usefull replay. What I need and want is some way to physical switch an USB Device on and off who is many Meter away and "just" connect to the Pc via a Glasfiber Link. In my case ~5 Floors above the Server Room. So walk there especially in Winter and Summer ist not an option without Protection Gear. The most easy think is when I dont need the Device I fully discontect them from the Power and no wear and tear happen (also it not consume any power).

Well I hope there is some already HW who allow me to do this. For me its important that the Data are not get corrupt by the Switch (Mechanism) like when the use a Relay.
Thanks
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: Switch a bunch of USB Device on/ off remote?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 06:20:25 am »
I think you need to explain a bit more what you want to do.

Do you need the device to just dissapear from the host machine? Do you need to actually cut USB power to the device. Is this a device on the end of a fiber USB cable so that cutting power to one end doesn't cut the power on the other end?

In general you can get fancy USB hubs that are "managed" in that a piece of software can see what is in the ports, see power consumption on each port, cut power to it etc.. Tho expect to pay a fair bit more for such a hub compared to the cheep Chinese garbage hubs that you find in computer stores.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 08:52:22 am »
Do you need to actually cut USB power to the device.
Yes
so that cutting power to one end doesn't cut the power on the other end?
The device have an build in USB Hub where other Device who are running 24/7 are connect to. Kill the Power for the entire Device is a worst case scenario.
In general you can get fancy USB hubs that are "managed" in that a piece of software can see what is in the ports, see power consumption on each port, cut power to it etc..
Hmm my dump one cost me even +100€ and the are just an extension nothing else. Can recommend someone an?
Some advertised USB over fiber transport products are such as these with capabilities that vary per. product:
Look for Icron.  :popcorn: I also use an Chinese but i dont remember there Name that quick.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 09:25:11 am »
Here is one example:
https://www.usbgear.com/CG-6PU2MGD.html

Its actually quite reasonably priced at just under 100$. It has the ability to switch USB ports on command as you want but also has all the other qualities you would want from a industrial USB hub like a rugged USB-B connector, metal case, mounting flanges(including DIN), external power (more importantly internally regulated power input)...etc

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 01:01:28 pm »
Can someone recommend an European or maybe Chineese one to avoid huge Import Tax?
I use this one or maybe a former one: http://www.beyondopto.com/USB30_20_11-over-Fiber.html?fromColId=105
I would like use an USB 3.0 Port like: https://www.usbgear.com/CG-4PU3MGD.html
Thanks

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 01:12:17 pm »
The magic word seams to be a "managed USB hub" so search for that where you want to buy it.

Fiber converted hubs are a very niche special thing so it wont be easy to find one. You can always plug a separate managed hub into this one.

Offline romelec

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 10:26:45 am »
I'm a little bit late but it might be useful for other people: https://www.yepkit.com/home

35/40€ for USB2 and 90€ for USB3, it switches the data and power lines

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 01:28:02 pm »
 :-+ Thanks I must save money first before I can buy.
Everything helps. I need an USB 3.0 at best.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf