Author Topic: Testing 4pin PWM fas with a power supply, function generator and scope?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline dentakuTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I just got two 140mm 4pin fans. One is from be quiet! and the other from Noctua. They're actually the first parts I've gotten for the new computer I want to build.
Can I simply plug GND and 12V into pins 1 and 2 and have it spin at it's maximum RPM to check what they sound like?
ALSO... if I connect the function generator output of my Keysight DSOX1102G to pin 4 and send it a 25KHz PWM signal should it be 5V or 3.3V?
I want to test it a different speeds while I probe the output of pin3 and of course listen to them.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Testing 4pin PWM fas with a power supply, function generator and scope?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 02:48:04 am »
Default is to operate at full speed. PWM will work with either 5V or 3.3V.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 04:15:35 am »
This video might be helpful to you

Offline dentakuTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 06:29:07 pm »
When I got back home today I decided to test out the fans.
I connected them to 12V to see what they were like at full speed then I pulled pin3 up to 5V with a 4.7k resistor and was able to measure the pulses.
Divide by 2 then multiply by 60 and they both turn at pretty much exactly the RPM they're rated for.

I then connected the function generator with a 3.3V square wave to pin4 and changed the duty cycle to see how slow they can go before they stop.
The Noctua will still spin steadily at around 6% but won't start from a dead stop that way.
The be quiet! doesn't like being spun at around 10 or 11% then stops below that.
It's not like anyone needs a fan that spins that slow but it's fun to test them out anyway.
It also make sense that at 80% the 1200RPM Noctua spins at the same speed as the 1000RPM be quiet! at 100%.

Noctua's "Low Noise Adapter" is just a heatshrunk 100R resistor that makes it spin about 200RPM slower but I already knew that. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf