Author Topic: Testing DDR for electrical hazard with DVM.  (Read 1198 times)

Offline msuffidyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Testing DDR for electrical hazard with DVM.
« on: April 10, 2024, 07:57:52 pm »
I am getting a free 4GB ddr3 sodimm today and I  am a tad bit worried if it is a disaster it could hurt the laptopy thing it is going in to.

Do you think I can test the ddr3 with a DVM to see if it was a hazard or not? I would maybe look for a short between vcc and ground or whatever the power is. Can using a DVM in continuity test be a hazard to DDR3? I mean it is around 1.8V in the first place?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 08:04:01 pm by msuffidy »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Testing DDR for electrical hazard with DVM.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 01:17:02 am »
It's OK I just threw the switch and it was fine. It was a 4GB Kingston DDR3 module 1800mhz. The lower 4GB was an Elpida.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 01:33:42 am by msuffidy »

Online Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 10:47:00 am »
(As a post-not-mortem info - don't check with a tester. Low voltage modules are not uncommon, the tester actually might kill it. Unless there are burn marks on it, I'd consider it safe to test within the computer. Install, boot up with a Memtest USB stick, let it run for a day. If that test is passed, the module is very likely good.)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 04:58:56 am »
I watch a lot of northwestrepair on youtube and it seems the first thing he does is see of the voltage rails are shorted. I guess you do this with the ohms setting and zero would be a short or other near zero number. I guess the DVM must be injecting something, and in the case of the core levels I am guessing in a lot of cases there is not enough amperage and or voltage to destroy electronics, but it isn't impossible with some weird old meter?

In one case a bad firmware upgrade made something on the card output on a bus pin and it destroyed his cpu or motherboard or both. That is a rare failure, but even just crossing the rails to the bus pins could do that also.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 05:00:32 am by msuffidy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf