Author Topic: [solved] TEX YodaII, keyboard: opinions?  (Read 8027 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: TEX YodaII, keyboard: opinions?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 12:52:55 pm »
IBM Model M keyboard

is there any good review? and where do you suggest to buy one? on eBay? or ... on some forum's bazaar?

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 04:09:31 pm »
There you go. It's a very "bare" design. But it just works. ;D

is it CNC cut? how did you desin the mechanics, and how did you cut it? is there a service?

Yes it's CNC cut, and I used: https://www.john-steel.com/ (I'm sure there are plenty of such companies worldwide...)
I designed the mechanical parts with Draftsight. I started from a DXF file with a typical ISO layout that I found online, to get the key spacing right.

besides, what about the PCB?

It's a 1.6mm, 2-layer PCB. The top aluminum plate supports the keyswitches, so very little constraint is transmitted to the PCB itself. So no special measure for the PCB design.
For the MX keyswitches, you can find mechanical info in this: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Cherry%20PDFs/MX%20Series.pdf

I ordered the keycaps there: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/87-key-custom-cherry-mx-keycap-set-1.html

You can find cheaper keycaps from other sources, including Aliexpress.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 04:11:58 pm by SiliconWizard »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 09:09:45 pm »
Found this list. Links point to projects on github.

Some are good.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 10:59:09 pm »
IBM Model M keyboard

is there any good review? and where do you suggest to buy one? on eBay? or ... on some forum's bazaar?
Last time I cared about those things Unicomp still made them.

Reviews? That should be everywhere, once you get past the mountains of g4m!ng hype, that is. Some crazies unearthing old Model Ms was what actually started that whole mechanical keyboard fad fifteen years ago; this and the Das Keyboard I think. Whose version 1, by the way, didn't even use Cherries but was a rubber dome thing with case shaped to mimic the M.

And... maybe I should ask, is the Das still around or does mentioning it make me sound like a dinosaur? :-DD

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 11:03:49 pm »
Of course it is still around: https://www.daskeyboard.com/

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 11:35:31 pm »
What a relief :)

Though I must say that RGB baclighting is not exactly what this keyboard originally was about :-DD

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2019, 12:57:06 am »
Found this list. Links point to projects on github.

Some are good.

They all look like hipster garbage.

Compact keyboards are awful for any real work and it's silly to spend any money on them. There are plenty of keyboards with full functionality and high quality switches that are also priced reasonably.

Regarding the M, it was a good keyboard, but you wouldn't be able to use it unless you lived alone or didn't give a damn about the people around you. That thing is LOUD. Also, it's missing the windows key which takes away a lot of functionality from a keyboard, because it can be used for lots of nice shortcuts on any OS.

If you really want a compact keyboard, at least get one with F keys.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:59:50 am by jadew »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2019, 02:33:45 am »
Though I must say that RGB baclighting is not exactly what this keyboard originally was about :-DD

Certainly, but after the ultra-geeky crowd interested in mechanical keyboards bought their DAS, the company probably had to find ways to keep making money...

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2019, 08:21:08 am »
Those small keyboards are strictly a thing for coding drones who have never used any software other than a text editor and are proud of it.

Certainly, but after the ultra-geeky crowd interested in mechanical keyboards bought their DAS, the company probably had to find ways to keep making money...
Das Keyboard was always about money; real men did bolt mods on Ms picked from dumpsters or searched eBay for vintage ALPS and true hipsters bought tenkeyless Filcos.

But yes, it shows how the posers have changed ;D

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 11:55:09 am »
They all look like hipster garbage.

"Good" with the meaning that you find project-files.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 12:12:35 pm »
A 60% keyboard is just too basic for my needs. I've tried one of those before, and it was just not usable to me. Keys (especially for arrow keys) too close to one another, important keys missing... But if you're comfortable with that, go ahead. Some people are. And yes, it's very expensive for what it seems to be, but it's your call. The pricing is understandable for a low-volume production.

I personally have a 88 keys (often called "10KL") keyboard, basically an ISO keyboard with no num pad (which I find adds too much width to the keyboard, making the use of a mouse more uncomfortable). I have an additional num pad, but I rarely use it! This keyboard is the first one I actually made myself. It uses Cherry MX brown keyswitches, and custom-designed aluminum plates. Works great (and it always feels good to type on your own creation!) For the controller, I used a Teensy 3.2 and I customized the following firmware: https://github.com/kiibohd/controller

I am about as far away from being a keyboard weenie/aficionado as you can imagine. Actually I have a slight  preference for those apple desktop  flat chicklet x-switch keyboards, but I am too embarrassed  to admit it.  :-[
And those apple keyboards are too susceptible to contamination and fluids in my hands

I am old enough to have used original IBM PC's model M. They are OK, noisy as hell with strong springs. I like the strong springs and heavy feel , but otherwise not that impressed. So  I was looking at mechanical keyboards 18 months ago with a bit of "fear of missing out" psychology influencing me when I came upon these Glorious Gaming modular keyboards. They pretty much offer the same bespoke choice of key switches as silicon wizards custom job without all the extra work. And I am all about the lazy! Metal frames in three layouts full, 10 keyless (the one I chose), or compact. You then buy the switch type of your liking and plug them in. It has the gaudy gamer led backlighting, but it is simple to set that to a mono color or off.

my ten keyless with a bag of Gateron greens came to about $124 us. Gateron greens are the heaviest force springs. I received a bag of 120 so that I still have a lifetime supply of spares if a few go bad.

link here:https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/the-glorious-gmmk-usa-custom

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 12:22:34 pm »
Those small keyboards are strictly a thing for coding drones who have never used any software other than a text editor and are proud of it.

bah, I tried a Japanese HHKB keyboard. It's a 60% keyboard and it perfectly fits my fingers on VIM as well as my suitcase, and this is a premium.

I have no problem with EagleCAD and LTspice. The real problem is ... it's not my property, and I need a PS/2 keyboard. HHKBs are all USB nowadays.

A further problem, it doesn't have a built-in Trackpoint or a trackball, and the trackball they gave me in the military base in Greenland is three times bigger than a 60%-keyboard, and this actually looks suspiciously too hipster and it might potentially cause you some problem at the airport.

I'd really like to have something with a built-in Trackpoint. And something small. 60% or 65%

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 12:54:39 pm »

bah, I tried a Japanese HHKB keyboard. It's a 60% keyboard and it perfectly fits my fingers on VIM as well as my suitcase, and this is a premium.

I have no problem with EagleCAD and LTspice. The real problem is ... it's not my property, and I need a PS/2 keyboard. HHKBs are all USB nowadays.

A further problem, it doesn't have a built-in Trackpoint or a trackball, and the trackball they gave me in the military base in Greenland is three times bigger than a 60%-keyboard, and this actually looks suspiciously too hipster and it might potentially cause you some problem at the airport.

I'd really like to have something with a built-in Trackpoint. And something small. 60% or 65%

Ahh now I understand, with PS2 and smaller:

Here some old versions with PS2 Mouse and Keyboard connectors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-7316-TF2-Rack-Mount-Server-1U-Drawer-Flat-Panel-Console-Keyboard-Only-PARTS/133173575573?hash=item1f01c37f95:g:TPcAAOSwyX9df9Mq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-NetBAY-2U-Flat-Panel-Monitor-Console-Kit-w-Keyboard-PS2-Cables-32P1702/184070094200?epid=1600259885&hash=item2adb6ebd78:g:VS0AAOSwl9xd6DVh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-SK-8840-Rackmount-Monitor-Keyboard-Console/254194564388?epid=1501591987&hash=item3b2f2d3d24:g:pEsAAOSw0w1crNd9

You can remove the keyboard from the metal rack and use it standalone.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:01:53 pm by Black Phoenix »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2019, 01:19:27 pm »
Ahh now I understand, with PS2 and smaller:

Yup. The Cherry in the pic is decent, but not so good. Especially the trackball. And you can for sure get something smaller.
I was thinking about reflashing the TEX YodaII to make it PS/2. Technically it's possible.
And practically it's a bit heavy (due to the aluminum body), but it's small enough.

I also like the mechanical aspect of the thing, just it's damn too expensive for me.

WOW! Great idea!!! This looks like a brilliant solution! Thank you  :D :D :D

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2019, 01:31:28 pm »

WOW! Great idea!!! This looks like a brilliant solution! Thank you  :D :D :D

As soon you explained the circumstances of your work and your needs I remembered the ones who normally are on IBM racks, with a LCD and Keyboard with the Trackpoint. Since you started with the Tex Yodall Keyboard, I was thinking that you wanted a system based in custom keyboard, with USB. As soon you talked about PS2 and the needs to take in your carry on I remembered this.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:33:31 pm by Black Phoenix »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2019, 03:53:05 pm »

Just for curiosity, have you already seen this?
(ultimatehackingkeyboard)

(it's very expensive, don't look at the price list, especially with accessories)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2019, 04:02:58 pm »

All this is obviously down to each individual's needs and preferences. No need to argue. (I was in turn just saying what works for me.) I can't stand trackpoints either, but this is all again preferences. (I've always used mice - and touchpads on laptops, but of course a lot less - and I'm still the most comfortable with them. Had the chance of never having any syndrome due to using them. Selecting the mice that work best for your hand is a must, and using a small keyboard, such as a TKL, definitely helps. A mouse too far away from the keyboard will induce a lot more tension.)

As you probably already figured, online searches for what you're after mainly point to the Yoda II keyboard...

Probably not what you'd like to use, but you can find Lenovo USB keyboards with trackpoint for about 60 euros... (but those look very much like laptop keyboards, they are just stand-alone.)
https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/accessories-and-monitors/keyboards-and-mice/keyboards/KEYBOARD-UK-English/p/0B47221
(Just saw that Black Phoenix posted a pic of that now... but anyway, you can have a brand new one for relatively "cheap".)

Another approach, faster than going fully custom, would be to buy a decent 60% keyboard, and modify it to accomodate a trackpoint device that you would scavenge from old laptop keyboards or something... (you would have to modify central keycaps and it could still be a bit tough to fit...)

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2019, 05:03:06 pm »
Just saw that Black Phoenix posted a pic of that now

I have just followed his advice and bought a rack-keyboard  :D

Another approach, faster than going fully custom, would be to buy a decent 60% keyboard, and modify it to accomodate a trackpoint device that you would scavenge from old laptop keyboards or something... (you would have to modify central keycaps and it could still be a bit tough to fit...)

This has a lot of problems, because when I opened the HHKB keyboard of my friend, I found there is no space for anything inside the keyboard, hence if you want to add a Trackpoint, you need to add it outside, and this also opens the simple problem: where do you put the left and right buttons?  :D

Anyway, for the moment I am ok this way, and the above solution just works perfectly. I will put it into my suitcase and enjoy my travels.

In the future, maybe I will design my own keyboard, but it will be dedicated to the Sonoko project.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:42:28 pm by legacy »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2019, 12:27:53 am »

Just for curiosity, have you already seen this?
(ultimatehackingkeyboard)

(it's very expensive, don't look at the price list, especially with accessories)

Split is good for learning how to correctly type with all your fingers from a hand and it is also ergonomically good, specially if you can angle both half's outside.  Regarding the price, is the type of novelty. Just look at the KeyCult prices for their limited less than 50 boards:

Always above US$500 and it's missing the Switches, Stabilizers and Keys (you have to provide your own) who adds to more than US$700 finished plus labour. And because they are so limited, the prices of second hand sky-rocket to more than US$1000.

The following users thanked this post: legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2019, 12:07:10 pm »
Talking about me, I don't know why there must be something wrong with the fingers(1) of my left hand, but I do find the CAPslock key so freaky terrible in a keyboard because I too often accidentally press it rather than pressing the tab key! So I seriously appreciated the HHKB of my friend for not having the CAPslock key at all.

Some keyboards do not have gaps between keys, and it's harder to hit the right key by touch. This is not the case, however I do press the tab key something like 10 times in a minute, and you can calculate the probability of collision with the CAPslock key.

I am surprised the key is present in the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard. It shouldn't be there, because "hacking" should means the keyboard is designed for text editors rather than wordprocessors.

The terrible big CAPSlock key is also present in my Cherry keyboard, just in the place where it can collide with the pressure of the tab key. And how did I fix it? With a silicone drop under the key so it cannot be accidentally pressed as it usually happens when I type  :D

edit:
(1) I do press the tab key with the ring finger, the finger next to the little finger.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:38:55 pm by legacy »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2019, 04:06:08 pm »
Talking about me, I don't know why there must be something wrong with the fingers(1) of my left hand, but I do find the CAPslock key so freaky terrible in a keyboard because I too often accidentally press it rather than pressing the tab key! So I seriously appreciated the HHKB of my friend for not having the CAPslock key at all.

Yeah, I think I never use CAPSLOCK whatsoever. Pretty useless IMO.
As to key spacing, this is very much down to each individual's preferences and habits. I usually find the very small keyboards (like 60%) have too narrow key spacing for my taste, but that's mainly a matter of habit.

A real problem IMO is when you have to use different keyboards with significantly different sizes/layouts. It always feels clunky for a while. That's mainly why I always stuck to the traditional ISO layout, even though I had thought of trying something completely different. At some point, I was curious about the TypeMatrix for instance: http://typematrix.com/ , but problem is, if I had switched to this, going back to a regular keyboard would probably be pretty hard.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 04:11:01 pm by SiliconWizard »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2019, 07:47:44 pm »
The terrible big CAPSlock key is also present in my Cherry keyboard, just in the place where it can collide with the pressure of the tab key. And how did I fix it? With a silicone drop under the key so it cannot be accidentally pressed as it usually happens when I type  :D
It's the Compose key, or perhaps Ctrl on some keyboards, and you just broke it |O
What even is that CapsLock thing you guys are talking about? :-DD

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
Re: [solved] TEX YodaII, keyboard: opinions?
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2019, 04:44:19 am »

Bring back the Stanford/MIT/Symbolics Space Cadet keyboards - control-meta-top-cokebottle for the win!

My favorite keyboard for a long time has been the Macintosh full-sized "chicklet" keyboard.  I expected to hate it, but the feel is good, the spacing is "right", and the one I have has lasted close to 10 years now (except for the worn-away tops of a couple keys...)

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 04:47:18 am by westfw »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2019, 01:27:38 pm »
I had a skype call with my brother yesterday, and he told me he absolutely needs the Numpad because it's where he maps extra symbols for the CAD program he uses.

Oh, so he needs a *big* keyboard  :D

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2019, 01:58:25 pm »
I had a skype call with my brother yesterday, and he told me he absolutely needs the Numpad because it's where he maps extra symbols for the CAD program he uses.

Oh, so he needs a *big* keyboard  :D

Then your brother would go crazy if he got one of these:

Keep us updated when you received the "rack" keyboard, I wanna see in what kind of environment you use it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:09:05 pm by Black Phoenix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf