Author Topic: The end of the Hard Disks  (Read 15708 times)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: The end of the Hard Disks
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2022, 04:02:05 pm »
You dont need extra storage if what you do are only docx, xlsx and some selfie pictures. The os ssd repartitioned will be enough, i have 2 internal extra hdd and 3 external to store videos, photography pictures, offline installers backup etc.. if they all have to be ssd, i'll need sponsorship from your royal majesty..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2022, 04:21:39 pm »
People do a lot of hoarding. Clean your shit out  :-DD

Everything I've ever done in the last 40-odd years and macOS takes up 150GB. That includes photos and videos. Grows by about 5GB a year at the moment and most of that is DSLR shots.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2022, 04:35:04 pm »

Everything I've ever done in the last 40-odd years and macOS takes up 150GB. That includes photos and videos. Grows by about 5GB a year at the moment and most of that is DSLR shots.

depends on the work you do... try to archive few FPGA projects (whole dev enviroment including VM OS image, software, toolchain...etc...to make sure you can restart the project in the future) you hit 150GB quite quickly.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2022, 05:06:51 pm »
It's all down to cost for me. I still use hard disks in my media server and for backup but I've gone to SSD in all of my modern stuff already. I think it will be a while before SSD is competitive with >4TB drives from a cost standpoint but I do think it will happen sooner or later.

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2022, 05:13:13 pm »

Hoarding is a big problem, but it's in my nature. The photos only amount to maybe 50GB and some of those are duplicates. The films are a big one, plus I have the BBC Complete Works of Shakespeare on DVDs to put on HDD. Then there are the archives of systems long gone I'll probably never want again, (but you never know) which still exist on my HDD.

This system has a 256GB SSD and a 3TB HDD. The SSD has plenty of spare space on it, but the HDD is getting rather cramped. Sorting out this mess might be good for the soul, but it seems easier to just buy more storage. A beautiful 4TB SSD for £350 or a dated, clunky HDD for <£100. Penny pinching (you're a Ferengi and you know about this)  is another weakness, and if I have to cross that bridge, I'll probably cheap out.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2022, 05:49:07 pm »
Fair points. Another perspective is worth considering. Having dealt with a deceased parent leaving me with a full 4TB NAS, it’s in everyone’s interest to keep it trimmed. I curate my data religiously at this point.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2022, 05:52:05 pm »
I don't care what happens to my data after I'm gone. Most of my bulk storage is movies and music, that isn't too hard to sort through and it's all on a few 8TB disks on a separate machine. My daily driver laptop has only 1TB and that's enough for all the important stuff.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2022, 06:29:29 pm »

Just my oscilloscopes directory, without general Tektronix and HP data, is 254GB.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2022, 07:13:25 pm »
Yeah. This part of the discussion about needed storage space very much sounds like some "ought to be enough for anybody" mantra. ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, james_s

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2022, 07:19:22 pm »
Speed and convenience against money, with other considerations thrown in such as reliability and data retention. I think it will be a time before I get rid of my 3 and 4TB USB external drives for backup. The 1TB USB2 external drive is a bit of an embarrassment, but it has backups of the thin clients I was into playing with a couple of years back.

A lot of discussions on this site boil down to money. If no one was allowed to comment unless they had a personal fortune of $500 million, it would be very boring.  "My 8640B has died, the display is playing up, what should I do"? "Either throw it away, or get your chaps to sort it out. They should be able to find one in as new condition for $5,000, and if you are seriously interested in RF sig gens, $30,000 should snag you something better than that in every way. Why are you wasting our time with silly questions?"

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2022, 07:40:20 pm »

Just my oscilloscopes directory, without general Tektronix and HP data, is 254GB.

This is hoarding.

Note the NHS article on it. It now includes data  :-DD

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/conditions/hoarding-disorder/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 07:41:56 pm by bd139 »

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2022, 07:51:05 pm »
Yeah. This part of the discussion about needed storage space very much sounds like some "ought to be enough for anybody" mantra. ;D

It would take almost 9000 340kB floppies to store a full length movie in HD. That's 100 disks per minute of video.

90% of quoted statistics are fictional

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2022, 07:59:38 pm »
This is hoarding.

What's wrong with hoarding? Hard disks are dirt cheap and they don't take up much space. Imagine how much history would simply be lost if nobody had the sense to save a hoard of it? I've been saved numerous times by someone who had saved a copy of some obscure old data somewhere. When I think of hoarding, I envision people saving mountains of empty pizza boxes, expired food, or broken deteriorating stuff that they never do anything with yet steadfastly refuse to part with even if there is somebody else who wants to use it or it is objectively trash with no useful value.

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2022, 09:01:45 pm »

What's wrong with hoarding? Hard disks are dirt cheap and they don't take up much space.
Data is one thing, it doesn't take much space. 1960s oscilloscopes and their plugins and plugins for the mainframes you mean to acquire are quite another. I must have about 20. Then there are the boatanchors, which currently run to about fifteen.

I confess I have a serious junk problem, which can only be solved by buying a bigger house.

In my defence, my grandfather and mother were notorious harbourers of junk/rubbish, so it's obviously genetic and their fault for giving me these genes.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2022, 09:04:01 pm »
Yeah there as well  :scared:.  Some days it all annoys me. Particularly as I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2022, 10:25:52 pm »

What's wrong with hoarding? Hard disks are dirt cheap and they don't take up much space.
Data is one thing, it doesn't take much space. 1960s oscilloscopes and their plugins and plugins for the mainframes you mean to acquire are quite another. I must have about 20. Then there are the boatanchors, which currently run to about fifteen.

I confess I have a serious junk problem, which can only be solved by buying a bigger house.

In my defence, my grandfather and mother were notorious harbourers of junk/rubbish, so it's obviously genetic and their fault for giving me these genes.

But that's cool stuff, not everyone's cup of tea, but there are plenty of people out there that would appreciate it, and as long as it's stored such that it is protected from deterioration and your house is still livable and sanitary I don't really see the problem. It's different than hoarding piles of newspaper, rotting food, or scores of cats or dogs. The hoarders that bother me the most are the ones that have a whole bunch of good stuff they aren't taking care of and refuse to part with. I've seen multiple cases where some guy had a barn full of nice vintage radios or arcade games or other collectible things just rotting into trash as the building deteriorated. It's such a shame, personally I'd much rather give something to somebody who can enjoy it than just let it rot.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2022, 05:54:06 am »
They bought them because the 6TB HDD in the box died after 3 months. Not having CCTV coverage was riskier than paying out.
I hope the four SSDs are in RAID1 or at least 1+0, then >:D

When SSDs go, they go all out, not a single bit is left.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2022, 07:12:48 am »
I just asked our ops guys what they use in our CCTV box. It’s 4x Crucial MX500 2TB SSDs  :-//

And that's fine for a small recorder. Once you scale it up a bit the argument for SSD is still a harder sell.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2022, 01:13:44 pm »

This is hoarding.

do you consider archives in muzeum as hoarding? Saving movies from decades ago to watch again later as hoarding? If yes, then we are fine as hoarder, because government the brilliant minds did it too. But if no, then we are not hoarding ;) for me hoarding is when you keep multiples of the same item (usually non functional) for no particular useful reason other than interest. Sometime we keep few as 'spare' or 'backup', not simply hoarding. And TBytes data inside a disk compartment is not the same as whats piling at the back of you house requiring more and more space.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 01:19:56 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2022, 09:06:14 pm »
   https://xkcd.com/1360/

mnem
"ahem."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2022, 09:17:07 pm »
This is how real men do it.

Code: [Select]
stuff.txt
more.jpg
oldstuff.zip
+--stuff.mp3
+--other.cpp
+--oldstuff.zip
   +--stuff.doc
   +--morestuff.pdf
   +--oldstuff.zip
      +--stuff.mp4
      +--...
      +--oldstuff.zip
         +--...
         +--oldstuff.zip
            +--...

The following users thanked this post: Haenk

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2022, 09:33:32 pm »
In the mean time hdd manufacturers have invested in smaller read write head technology and they continue producing larger capacity cmr hdd's also for datacenters.
My new NAS needs about 40+TB of storage to hold my media so I will also buy some probably 16TBs.
Then I also need the old NAS to backup this 40TB so I have to buy 7x16TB hdds = 112TB costing aprox €2200.-
If I would opt for all SSD's also datacenter class it would set me back aprox. €50000.-  :palm:
You guys were saying.....

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/199168/western-digital-begint-met-leveren-van-nieuwe-22tb-hdds.html

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2022, 01:32:24 pm »

This is hoarding.

I have 25 years of eMails on HotMail. A couple times a year I delete all the most prolific advert eMails to keep below the limit; I can't be arsed to actually seek out all the personal mail I actually give a fuck about and make a local copy. Yes, some of those 25-year-old eMails are still important; when I'm feeling nostalgic for friends & family no longer with us, I'll review those footprints left by the ghost in the machine.

To me it's no different than the proverbial footlocker full of old photographs & keepsakes.  :-//

mnem
"Photographs and memories;
Christmas cards you sent to me
All that I have are these,
To remember you..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2022, 02:24:36 pm »
As many other have stated, I expect the mechanical HDD for storage applictions will be around for some time but for my system drives I wouldn't part with SSD drives, only over my cold dead body.

As it happens I'm in the process of replacing my current (20+ yeas old) home server at the moment. This time I'll put the Linux system on a SSD but the bulk storage will be on 2x 2TB WD HDD again.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2022, 05:41:59 pm »
As many other have stated, I expect the mechanical HDD for storage applictions will be around for some time but for my system drives I wouldn't part with SSD drives, only over my cold dead body.

Like I said, I had problems with page, temporary, and work files wearing through SSD endurance too quickly.  The systems I have use something like a 4 drive hardware RAID for their boot, temporary, and work volumes, which in practical tests provides comparable performance to an SSD, and gives the benefit of bulk storage and redundancy.

I may use an SSD for setting up a system or reconfiguring it, or if the workload is not going to result in excessive usage and redundancy is not required.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf