Products > Computers

To the Linux Gurus - Problems with HSTS in Firefox

<< < (5/5)

Black Phoenix:

--- Quote from: soldar on November 01, 2019, 10:20:07 pm ---I cannot be of help with the VPN configuration but a few related comments regarding my experience in China.

Your location says HK but I have felt any restrictions while in HK so either they are new or, more likely, you are in mainland China.

When in China, for a month or two, we have an American phone with unlimited data and, while I don't know the technical details, it works like we are in America. I guess the phone company has an agreement with China and they just VPN directly to America, automatically and transparently. This would allow Americans, especially business people, visiting China to have full access without problem.

I am guessing this solution might also be used by those with contacts outside China although I wonder if the authorities might become suspicious if a foreign phone is used for many months in China or if the foreign phone company might also object to that kind of use.

--- End quote ---

Nope, the location flag is just a flag for me, as some people have 00 or Antarctica as their flag. Yes I'm in Mainland China.

And yes, your phone with an American SIM card will work normally as if in America because of Roaming. When in Roaming, the Home HLR is contacted by the Remote (Roaming) HLR of your info and your HLR gives a small percent of your subscriber info, just enough to make the connection through him, using the Roaming Access Network as a path. Same with Chinese Roaming SIM in China, if you have a Chinese SIM card connected to the Roaming Network, you will not be able to open google.com, since the traffic is being redirected by the Home HLR, in China.

Since all foreigners have to register in China on the Police I'm sure that they already have a database who joins images together with signatures, passports together with IMEI/IMSI and habits together with location.

OwO:

--- Quote from: Black Phoenix on November 02, 2019, 12:29:04 am ---Since all foreigners have to register in China on the Police

--- End quote ---

Don't do that!!! The rules are on paper only and no one has gotten in trouble for not registering. Also when going through customs always leave "intended address in China" blank and when asked say someone is hosting you and you don't know the address. They will know your whereabouts anyway by face and gait recognition, and foreign SIM info can be correlated with your passport info anyway.
I'm sure they know I'm a "resident" by now because at customs checkpoint they don't even bother asking me questions anymore.

Black Phoenix:

--- Quote from: OwO on November 02, 2019, 06:01:32 am ---
--- Quote from: Black Phoenix on November 02, 2019, 12:29:04 am ---Since all foreigners have to register in China on the Police

--- End quote ---

Don't do that!!! The rules are on paper only and no one has gotten in trouble for not registering. Also when going through customs always leave "intended address in China" blank and when asked say someone is hosting you and you don't know the address. They will know your whereabouts anyway by face and gait recognition, and foreign SIM info can be correlated with your passport info anyway.
I'm sure they know I'm a "resident" by now because at customs checkpoint they don't even bother asking me questions anymore.

--- End quote ---

Really it doesn't bother me. To get the resident visa for 2 years I had to register in the police and provide documentation that I'm married in China to get the sticker on the passport so... I don't have anything to hide so whatever.

As I said in another topic, I'm not a Chinese Citizen, I'm Portuguese. I have the right to question and talk bad about my government, because I vote on the ones I want in power. Here I'm simply a foreigner, I don't have any right to say anything. I have my freedom of thought, that no one will take me. There are a lot of things I see here that are basically wrong in my own though, but I'm no one to say anything specially because I can't change anything and no one likes people imposing their own believes.

The day I feel uncomfortable of being here, the only thing I have to do is pack my stuff and exit the country with my family. So they can know were I go, were I am, what I do, were I exit and enter when I go to Hong Kong, what I bring, whatever. I'm not going to go against the laws of the country.

Even they can read what I am writing now or access my internet traffic. I'm not writing stuff against the government, nor I'm inciting someone to do something against. I just use it to read what I want to read, from various places and different perspectives and create my own opinion about it. But that is my opinion and I don't have the obligation to say it.

soldar:

--- Quote from: Black Phoenix on November 02, 2019, 12:29:04 am --- Since all foreigners have to register in China on the Police I'm sure that they already have a database who joins images together with signatures, passports together with IMEI/IMSI and habits together with location.
--- End quote ---

Ha ha, you give them too much credit. As we say in Spanish "the wolf is not as fierce as it is portrayed". If what you say were true I know a lot of people who would be in serious trouble.

I have been visiting China for over twenty years now and have never registered with the police. I assume when I stay in hotels it is done automatically by the hotel but most of the time I stay in private homes and I have never registered.

In my wife's hometown every day we would pass in front of the police station and I mentioned to her that maybe I should go in and register until one day we finally went in and had a funny and amiable exchange with the police chief there.  My wife translating, obviously.

- (me) Ask him how I can register that I am staying with your family.
- (wife) He says why would you want to register. Are you planing on committing any crimes?
- (me) Um, no.
- (Wife) He says to run along and come back to register before committing any crimes. :)

So after some smiles and chitchat we parted. A very friendly guy who seemed to not know what to do with me.

If Chinese authorities kept close tabs on small administrative infractions I know a lot of people who would be in trouble. I could tell lots of cases and stories but I won't, for obvious reasons.

My interaction with the Chinese police and other authorities has always been friendly and cordial. Even when I get pissy in airport security controls, which I often do because I hate them, they have always been firm but polite.

I feel China is a lot like Spain where there are a ton of rules which are not really enforced and you are not really expected to abide by but if someone runs afoul of the authorities then they can get him on all sorts of things. Keep your head low and you will be fine.

I once read a description of Cuba as "a ruthless dictatorship tempered by total chaos". In many ways this applies to China and to Spain. The rules book says we are playing one game but we all know we are playing a different game.

Getting back to the issue of Internet access, using a roaming foreign phone has always worked for me in the last few years. I have also used other ways like VPN or accessing my home computer using TeamViewer. I have thought of setting up my own VPN server at home or at somebody else's computer but I never did it as it has some complication for me and I never needed it that badly.

I have never really had any serious problem getting around the firewall. Maybe they are tightening up now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version