Products > Computers

transporting ps/2 kb & mouse and a Wacom tablet via serial: feasible?

(1/3) > >>

DiTBho:
The Wacom tablet uses a serial line in NULL modem configuration, transporting data @ 9600bps.
I am thinking about using a serial line @ 1MBps to transport ps/2 kb & mouse and the Wacom tablet.

--- Code: ---.                   ______________                                 ______________
.                  |              |                               |              |
ps/2 keyboard ---->| FIFO         |                               |         FIFO |----> ps/2 keyboard
                   |      \       |                               |       /      |
ps/2 mouse    ---->| FIFO - merge |========== fast uart ==========| split - FIFO |----> ps/2 mouse
                   |      /       |                               |       \      |
Wacom tablet  ---->| FIFO         |                               |         FIFO |----> Wacom tablet
                   |              |                               |              |
                   |______________|                               |______________|

--- End code ---

SiliconWizard:
Sure, why not?
Something as cheap as the RP2040 should be fine for this. Heck, with it, you could even add a USB port.

Ian.M:
Transport how far?
If its only a few meters and the host has full USB support, it may well be simpler/easier to use USB, with a USB serial adapter, and a USB to PS/2 interface on a hub at the input device end.

DiTBho:

--- Quote from: Ian.M on June 27, 2022, 06:32:25 pm ---Transport how far?

--- End quote ---

Yup, I forgot to mention: 3 meters  :D

--- Quote from: Ian.M on June 27, 2022, 06:32:25 pm ---If its only a few meters and the host has full USB support, it may well be simpler/easier to use USB, with a USB serial adapter, and a USB to PS/2 interface on a hub at the input device end.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately there is no USB support and I cannot add it.

DiTBho:
OK, so tomorrow I will think about the transport-protocol (something very simple), and then I will try to implement it.

I have already ordered two RP2040 units like suggested by SiliconWizard :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version