Products > Computers

ubuntu-mate, X11 cannot open the Display (solved)

(1/4) > >>

DiTBho:
so, I usually create rootfs myself (Gentoo Catalyst), this time I'm with a laptop that has Ubuntu-Mate pre-installed in flash.

I can ssh to a remote machine, everything is fine with this, but there is something wrong with X11.
Already tried/checked

* xhost +192.168.1.81 and/or xhost +
* /etc/ssh/sshd_config has "X11forwarding = yes"
* ssh remote_machine_IP -Y
ssh remote_machine_IP(192.168.1.81) -Y correctly sets the DISPLAY variable to "192.168.1.115:0.0", which is the IP of the laptop, and forces "X11forwarding=Yes" plus "trust it"; ssh connects, however, "xclock" always gets the answer "cannot open the display".

Any idea?  :-//

server: 192.168.1.81
laptop: 192.168.1.115

notes:

* "xhost +" disables the access control, clients can connect from any host
* Enable X11 forwarding, by the -X option
* Enable trusted X11 forwarding, by using the -Y option

DiTBho:
(
Temporary solution to get that damn X11 working
The laptop doesn't have an SSD, both kernel and rootfs are on an eMMC chip, which I can't reprogram at the moment.
For sure, in the near future, the end of March?, will definitely wipe out and flash my stage 4 onto it
)

DiTBho:
Personally, I do find Ubuntu ... a weird distro.

I edited all the files related to both Xorg and lightdm, the default display manager used by Ubuntu-mate,
removed

--- Code: ----nolisten tcp

--- End code ---
and added

--- Code: ----listen tcp

--- End code ---
to every instance of parameters passed to /usr/bin/xorg, however, once restarted, it did not even show the port 6000.
Which is weird  :o :o :o

Even stranger, if I now connect to a remote machine via ssh, export the display, and try to launch xclock...

--- Code: ---# xhost +
# ssh 192.168.1.81
# export DISPLAY=192.168.1.115:0.0
# xclock

--- End code ---
it no longer says it can't find the display, it just doesn't show anything  :-// :-// :-//

DiTBho:
um, sshd has the following opts set

--- Code: ---X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost no

--- End code ---

alm:

--- Quote from: DiTBho on February 29, 2024, 07:53:16 am ---I edited all the files related to both Xorg and lightdm, the default display manager used by Ubuntu-mate,
removed

--- Code: ----nolisten tcp

--- End code ---
and added

--- Code: ----listen tcp

--- End code ---
to every instance of parameters passed to /usr/bin/xorg, however, once restarted, it did not even show the port 6000.
Which is weird  :o :o :o

--- End quote ---
Try being a bit less ham-fisted, and look for a proper solution like this. Also, stop using the ancient xhost. Xauth is used for authorization these days. The less you fight a distribution, the less painful your experience will be. If you want to rip out everything and replace if with something else, then use a distribution more suited to these kinds of customizations.

What does ssh -v -X hostname show? Is xauth installed on the client you're logging in from?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version