Products > Computers

Which Linux distro do you use?

<< < (18/20) > >>

AngusBeef:

--- Quote from: Ampera on September 24, 2019, 05:12:14 pm ---
--- Quote from: AngusBeef on September 17, 2019, 10:30:48 am ---My only gripe about Arch is the lack of 32bit support.

--- End quote ---

https://archlinux32.org/

Thank me later.

--- End quote ---

I guess I could've done a 5 second google search and discovered it, but my stupid self just went off the official page.  |O Thanks I think this will come in handy!

I've never touched any of the BSD based operating systems but all the gurus seem to rave about OpenBSD and even more about FreeBSD. Coming from a Windows background and just getting into the Linux systems, how many weeks/months/years would it take to grasp enough concepts to make a switch worthwhile?

I have heard a lot about Jails with ZFS under FreeBSD, but all of my reading simply tells me it's virtualization (though not at the kernel level) and that it enables people to setup multiple configurations of similar software packages easily. But I don't quite understand what the situations are where it would be applicable and all the articles I read are about procedures to establish a jail but not the situations that would be resolved with using them.

bd139:
Jails are best described as a namespace. Ideal for shared hosting companies etc. You can give someone a whole machine to cock up without the overheads of a VM. Also for complete application isolation.  The last freebsd machine I used in production was a veritable monster with 16 cores and 8Gb of RAM (a lot at the time). It had 200 users (!) running in jails.

OpenBSD I haven’t used for a number of years. It was obtuse but very well documented.

Learning curve, depends. Experienced sysadmin, a few days. End user, a few months.

AngusBeef:

--- Quote from: bd139 on September 24, 2019, 10:06:30 pm ---Jails are best described as a namespace. Ideal for shared hosting companies etc. You can give someone a whole machine to cock up without the overheads of a VM. Also for complete application isolation.  The last freebsd machine I used in production was a veritable monster with 16 cores and 8Gb of RAM (a lot at the time). It had 200 users (!) running in jails.

OpenBSD I haven’t used for a number of years. It was obtuse but very well documented.

Learning curve, depends. Experienced sysadmin, a few days. End user, a few months.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the description - is there any advantage for an end user to run FreeBSD vs a flavor of Linux? Unless I put together something like a thin client for a small business I doubt I'll have multiple users on a single server.

Edit: I guess you could create "portable" versions of your workspace for each part of a workflow in a jail and take it back and forth between multiple machines...similar to a VM but as you said without as much overhead since it doesn't virtualize the kernel

bd139:
Not really for an end user unfortunately. Best to go with the flow. Hence why I use windows 10 :)

You could do that. I’m not sure I’d bother though. I religiously avoid complexity where possible.

eugenenine:

--- Quote from: bd139 on September 24, 2019, 10:16:45 pm ---I use windows 10
 I religiously avoid complexity where possible.

--- End quote ---

you appear to be contradicting yourself here :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version