Products > Computers

Why in 2023 does this simple task break Windows 10 ?

<< < (8/8)

cfbsoftware:

--- Quote from: MathWizard on December 14, 2023, 07:40:14 am ---I'm trying to find a radio schematic or article I have on my PC, and so in File Explorer I enter terms in the search box, and also click to organize by date.

--- End quote ---
I highly recommend a search tool called Everything from VoidTools.

https://www.voidtools.com

There's some introductory info about it in the FAQ:

https://www.voidtools.com/faq

--- Quote ---What is "Everything"?
"Everything" is search engine that locates files and folders by filename instantly for Windows.

Unlike Windows search "Everything" initially displays every file and folder on your computer (hence the name "Everything").

You type in a search filter to limit what files and folders are displayed.

How long will it take to index my files?
"Everything" only indexes file and folder names and generally takes a few seconds to build its database.

A fresh install of Windows 10 (about 120,000 files) will take about 1 second to index.

1,000,000 files will take about 1 minute.

--- End quote ---

rsjsouza:

--- Quote from: pickle9000 on January 10, 2024, 04:52:32 am ---freecommander is pretty good search wise. Its stand alone. It can search inside files for text but in some cases like pdf's you need to donate a bit to get access to the conversion program. Well worth it. It's free otherwise.

--- End quote ---
+1 as well. I also have been using Freecommander for the last 10+ years as a full replacement for the terrible Windows Explorer and its broken features. Its Find feature is exceptional and its customization allows adding shortcuts to its top toolbar and integrate with other  other third party utilities - I configured it to launch Beyond Compare with a simple keystroke, which allows complete directory and file comparison as well.

Although free, I gave money to the developer for their great work!

(I did this with other utilities that I use often, such as Beyond Compare, IrfanView, Winrar, etc.)

dferyance:
WinFS was one of the original Windows Vista features but it was canceled. It was going to greatly improve searching, it combined the filesystem with a database. Now Microsoft cares about web search and cloud stuff and not your PC being useful.

Windows Explorer is in a difficult position. It enabled a lot of extensibility features which developers took advantage of. But these extensions often cause it to crash or run slow. I know MS has done some work to reduce the impact of extensions but I still find installing applications often make Windows Explorer run slower. So it is hard to know if an issue is really and OS issue or an application issue hiding in explorer.

Jason Henry:
It's possible that Bill Gates might experience similar issues, as software bugs can affect anyone regardless of their status or expertise. However, whether he would care anymore depends on his current level of involvement and priorities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version