Author Topic: ASUS Model G735 HD Replacement  (Read 1242 times)

Online Wallace GasiewiczTopic starter

• Super Contributor
ASUS Model G735 HD Replacement
« on: June 15, 2021, 09:15:38 pm »
I believe my HD is getting ready to fail. It has been on constantly for much of the time for many years and my computer shuts down at random times (screen just goes black, computer turns off)
Computer is ASUS model G735 MB Version G73SW
I have replaced HD in at least two other computers before they went totally stuck and can clone the HD.
The HD is only about 25% full, so I do not use much storage here.
Is there any advice on what particular HD to purchase
The current HD is ST 9750420AS  Seagate
Should I get a direct replacement or SSD or what?

Thanks for any info.
Wally
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:17:38 pm by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: ASUS Model G735 HD Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:39:53 pm »
I replaced the drive in my old Windows computer I use mostly for hobby stuff. I went with an SSD just slightly smaller than the original HDD. I can't think of any reason not to go with an SSD as a replacement.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 11:34:54 pm »
I believe my HD is getting ready to fail. It has been on constantly for much of the time for many years and my computer shuts down at random times (screen just goes black, computer turns off)
Computer is ASUS model G735 MB Version G73SW
I have replaced HD in at least two other computers before they went totally stuck and can clone the HD.
The HD is only about 25% full, so I do not use much storage here.
Is there any advice on what particular HD to purchase
The current HD is ST 9750420AS  Seagate
Should I get a direct replacement or SSD or what?

Thanks for any info.
Wally

I still have my old G53SW and I think yours is very similar, just with a bigger screen.  I updated mine to a Samsung 830 SSD long, long ago and it made a huge performance difference.  A the time, SSDs were expensive so I used a 256GB version and simultaneously upgraded the 2nd drive to a 2TB Samsung M9T, which are now Seagate.  Do you not have a second drive?  I'd recommend one for sure because you can use it as a backup and storage for large file.  As for the main drive, the Samsung 870EVO 500GB is just $59 at Microcenter.

Be warned though, your problem doesn't really sound like a HDD failure.  If it has been on for years, it might be getting too hot due to being clogged with lint.  You should use diagnostic tools like CPUTemp and CrystalDiskInfo (or whatever) to see how hot it is getting and if the HDD has any errors.  Is your battery still any good at all?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Wallace GasiewiczTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 05:22:20 pm »

The Battery is still good, I think I replaced it a few years ago
I am still using windows 7 by choice.
I have replaced the HD on both other computers that we use and it fixed whatever problems that I had. One of the removed drives works sometimes in an external setup. Other one was dead. So I am pretty sure that the problems I had then were HD problems

Having said that, I think you are correct about the current fault. However it is intermittent and I am using the computer in question right now without any problems. I will try to clean the inside as best as I can. Will take you advice to check temp etc....

Is there anything special about installing a SSD drive vs a regular HD that I should know. Since the other HDs failed I think it might be time to replace this one before anything goes south.

Wally

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 05:36:32 pm »
Is there anything special about installing a SSD drive vs a regular HD that I should know. Since the other HDs failed I think it might be time to replace this one before anything goes south.

I had an issue with my SSD being loose and showing communication errors because it was thinner than the HDD, so I shimmed it with cardboard. 

You need to make sure that your cloning software aligns the partitions correctly.  I think Macrium Reflect will do this correctly, but i'd read about it first.

You need to make sure that Windows 7 has TRIM enabled and DEFRAG disabled.

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: Wallace Gasiewicz

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 08:21:07 pm »
I just use the built in Windows Backup for Windows 7. It usually works fine as long as you're backing up to and from a disk (or disks) of some kind. It does not seem to play well with USB flash drives. I've never tried the network option.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf