Computing > General Computing

Windows 10 support ending 2025

<< < (18/18)

rsjsouza:

--- Quote from: TimFox on July 23, 2021, 09:22:52 pm ---
--- Quote from: GlennSprigg on July 22, 2021, 12:08:44 pm ---I always wonder why people 'worry' about supposed "Support Endings" !!
There's still numerous people still using Win-7, and are perfectly happy with it, considering their individual 'needs'   :-+
No more support??... great!!... No more forced nagging downloads/upgrades for an older system to constantly churn over!!

--- End quote ---

I have been using TurboTax software for years, renewing it every year.
(There is an old accountants' axiom that tax law changes will always obsolete last year's tax software.)
In 2020, my old Windows 7 laptop was dying (the famous Toshiba overheating problem), so I upgraded to a Windows 10 machine.  This was fortunate, since the TurboTax software for tax year 2020 no longer runs on W7, but ran on my new W10 machine.  This is a real problem for "support endings", even with non-MS software.

--- End quote ---
Just move to H&R Block.  :popcorn:  (I didn't have this problem with H&R Block 2020 on my Windows 7)

Jokes apart, this is indeed frustrating but somehow inevitable with the software-based world we live.

I would probably create a VM with the tax software and perhaps other less machine-dependent application software. For hardware constrained apps, I still have quite a few old spares around.

james_s:
I've always used the web based Turbotax. Normally I loathe web based software but tax preparation is one of the few cases where this model really makes sense. It always seemed pointless to buy a boxed software package and install it on my PC when it is only useful that one time and then I'm going to throw it away. The web based one worked just fine on my Win7 machine.

GlennSprigg:

--- Quote from: james_s on July 24, 2021, 12:59:01 am ---I've always used the web based Turbotax. Normally I loathe web based software but tax preparation is one of the few cases where this model really makes sense. It always seemed pointless to buy a boxed software package and install it on my PC when it is only useful that one time and then I'm going to throw it away. The web based one worked just fine on my Win7 machine.

--- End quote ---

Good point, but I generally loath/distrust online/cloud/web-based stuff, for reasons of data security...  :(

rsjsouza:

--- Quote from: GlennSprigg on July 26, 2021, 10:46:17 am ---
--- Quote from: james_s on July 24, 2021, 12:59:01 am ---I've always used the web based Turbotax. Normally I loathe web based software but tax preparation is one of the few cases where this model really makes sense. It always seemed pointless to buy a boxed software package and install it on my PC when it is only useful that one time and then I'm going to throw it away. The web based one worked just fine on my Win7 machine.

--- End quote ---

Good point, but I generally loath/distrust online/cloud/web-based stuff, for reasons of data security...  :(

--- End quote ---
I am with you on this front as well.

I just remembered that, back in 2016 at around the tax season, I downgraded my PC from Windows 10 to 7 due to the furious dissemination of MS spyware/tracking stuff in the new OS. I was really afraid that keyboard trackers were surreptitiously placed in my PC. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version