Author Topic: Windows 10 support ending 2025  (Read 10883 times)

Offline bdunham7Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Windows 10 support ending 2025
« on: June 15, 2021, 03:31:14 pm »
It will sneak up on you faster than you think.  Once the new version is available, Microsoft will be actively making your life miserable long before 2025.

https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-support-is-ending-in-2025/

I'm a bit worn out with switching versions of Windows.  I think this means I have 4 years to get used to Linux.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: boB

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
Re: Windows 10 support ending 2025
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 03:37:50 pm »
It will sneak up on you faster than you think.  Once the new version is available, Microsoft will be actively making your life miserable long before 2025.
(..)

geeez they made mine  a miserable latrine in the late 80s..

by mid 90s I had totally ditched their crap in the potty...

GO TO HELL MS!

quoting Duke: rest in pieces...

Paul
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 03:39:38 pm by PKTKS »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, evb149

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:46:21 pm »
but.. make no mistake about it...

Corporate IT is a sick whorehouse NAZI  Mafia...

Expect very soon to "PAY" for "free source" open source whatever
in the same means all cloud fevers are up to..

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/compute/ubuntu-pro-available-on-google-cloud

Shell corporations and front end corps will soon take over and
offer you a subscription of each and every piece of it..

Azure is obvious no different and WSL path the way of this shit..

Paul

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 04:17:53 pm »
Im sure i read somewhere windows 10 was going to be the last windows release and they were just going to continually update it,guess they discovered theirs  no money in that route.

Offline bdunham7Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 04:51:39 pm »
Im sure i read somewhere windows 10 was going to be the last windows release and they were just going to continually update it,guess they discovered theirs  no money in that route.

Yeah, I guess we didn't get that in writing!  I'm betting that the new Windows will be a subscription service of some sort--Operating System as as Service, or Windoze OSaaS.  And that while the 'core' may be low-cost or perhaps free, they're going to nickel and dime you to death on additional 'features'.  They're jealous of Apple's recurring revenues and they think they can play the same game.  I'm also betting the Windows 10 will be deprecated in actual effect well before 2025.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic and it will be great.  Windows 10 was just a big ugly hack to eliminate the stench of Windows 8, but it mostly delivered except where it occasionally didn't. (WMC, e.g.) It always seemed like a stopgap, so perhaps Windows Nirvana will be the ultimate solution to everything and be totally free as well.  And they're going to throw in a virtual machine that will run all previous versions of Windows going back to 3.1.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 04:55:17 pm »
The next version will require proof of vaccination, or be tied to your Social Score.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 05:56:43 pm »
Yeah, I've seen a few articles talking about that. Some people have started noticing this announcement from MS.
Which, nobody really understands as of now, since MS have claimed that Win 10 would be the last Windows version ever.

Win 10 effectively turned into some kind of rolling release distribution... but. Not exactly.

What's going to be next, who knows. Maybe they're going to change CEOs. Maybe they're going to release a new Windows something. Maybe they're going to drop the Windows brand, and call it something else.

One may even think that in all their pretentious visionary outlook, they are working on making classic "OSs" a thing of the past. Windows 10 is still a classic OS. Possibly by making more and more things offloaded to servers instead of being done locally. (Something we have already discussed before and reckoned it somehow looked like going backwards in time, but with a much more powerful network.)

I for one have managed not to switch to Win 10 as of yet. Still on 7, and increasingly using Linux for some things at the same time. With that announcement, I have even less clue whether I'm ever going to upgrade to Win 10.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 06:28:12 pm »
So much for Windows 10 being the last version ever, "Windows as a service" which granted absolutely nobody asked for. It is unfortunately very typical Microsoft to go all in on something only to quietly drop it a few years later, anybody remember the "PlaysForSure" debacle?

I'm still using Win7 on my daily driver, it's the last good version of Windows as far as I'm concerned. I've migrated all my back end/utility stuff over to Linux and can fully jump over to that if Win7 ever becomes no longer viable.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 08:56:01 pm »

Windows 7 "just works", except where Microsoft has forced software vendors to no longer support it!  :D

The following users thanked this post: boB, peter-h, evb149, Raj, james_s

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 09:29:50 pm »
This means it's probably time for me to get a Windows 10 machine up and running. It's almost certain whatever they come up with next will be worse.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 11:37:32 pm »
This means it's probably time for me to get a Windows 10 machine up and running. It's almost certain whatever they come up with next will be worse.

Windows 10 will become stable when it is "left behind", just like Win 7 and Win 8 is now!

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 06:31:01 pm »
There's some "leaked" info starting to appear, showing a Windows 11. Even some preliminary screenshots.
If this is at all real, it looks like MS is just preparing an overhauled Windows 10 with a few UI changes. The rest is unknown, but I haven't read about anything revolutionary so far. Oh, and it's currently being called Windows 11, but MS might call it something else in the end.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 08:04:38 pm »
Well what else revolutionary is there that they could do? The PC is a mature commodity, no further revolutionary development is needed, it  needs to just work. I'm sure they'll come up with some way to screw it up more though. Also given their past lack of creativity and the significant number of products that have shipped under their former code names, I'd be shocked if they come up with anything new to name it.

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW, Jacon

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 09:21:59 pm »
Well what else revolutionary is there that they could do? The PC is a mature commodity, no further revolutionary development is needed,

From a user's POV, yes. Now from a business POV... that's something else.

it  needs to just work.

From a user's POV, yes...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 10:45:51 pm »
I'm a user, the user's POV is the only thing I care about.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 10:56:24 pm »
Oh, and it's currently being called Windows 11, but MS might call it something else in the end.

"Doors"

Sorry couldn't not resist.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2021, 01:32:26 am »
Traditionally "support" only meant MS would listen to you if you asked them and provide bugfixes, and didn't matter otherwise; but given the growth of DRM-ish stuff they might actually try to stop you from running an older version...

There's still plenty of test equipment, embedded controllers, and other miscellaneous industrial stuff running MS-DOS or Win3.x out there.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2021, 12:40:22 pm »
Oh, and it's currently being called Windows 11, but MS might call it something else in the end.

"Doors"

Sorry couldn't not resist.
Surely it would be Curtains.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2021, 05:35:30 pm »
I'd really like a proper win32 sandbox, with full DirectX support ... if Windows 11 can deliver that I'm buying.

The plan to have win32 sandbox, but for all win32 applications at the same time, never interested me much. I understand for strongly interacting programs (such as for instance Steam) full isolation will break things without some specific work around. The simplest work around would be to just let the user combine sets of programs in a single sandbox, though I'd prefer a little more isolation than that.

The windowsapps directory is an anti-user-freedom abomination. I will not sacrifice my ability to modify applications for isolation.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 05:37:22 pm by Marco »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2021, 11:11:28 pm »
I'm a user, the user's POV is the only thing I care about.

Of course.
And in any sane business relationship, the customer's interest should be approximately equivalent to the company's interest. But it's become clear than many companies these days manage to put their own interest way above that of their customers, and still manage to make business. That in itself is not sane, but what's somehow comforting is the thought that it can't last forever.

And regarding seeing some really new features in the next Windows... of course, most of us do not actually expect this to happen. But, after years of Windows 10 and the big announcement that it would be the last Windows version ever, if there is a next version, it would make sense to expect something a bit more drastic than the usual set of modifications that each major Windows 10 update releases. Otherwise, that would look like MS is not just putting their own interest above that of their customers, but like they would actually be making fun of them. Oh well. ;D

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2021, 11:20:42 pm »
Theirs a load of youtube videos appeared today showing a supposed  "leaked" version of win 11,first impression, there copying apple with the central task bar thingy and really trying to force  you to have  microsoft account .

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2021, 11:56:41 pm »
Theirs a load of youtube videos appeared today showing a supposed  "leaked" version of win 11,first impression, there copying apple with the central task bar thingy and really trying to force  you to have  microsoft account .

Yes, seen a bunch of people claiming to have gotten ahold of a leaked pre-version of Win "11". There are some minor UI changes, like windows and buttons with rounded corners (oh wow), the icons on the taskbar being centered by default (but you can left-align them as before, it's now a setting), a little transparency here and there, and maybe a bit more consistency, but still pretty much the same sh*t. Ah yes as you mentioned, it seems more difficult (if at all possible?) to create a purely local account now.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 03:46:35 am »
[...]  it seems more difficult (if at all possible?) to create a purely local account now.

All your base are belong to us

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2021, 04:53:39 pm »
Anyway, from what I got:
- MS should be announcing the next Windows on June 24th.
- MS would have decided to change versions (whereas they said they wouldn't) for the following reasons: first that the actual Win 10 versions were getting confusing (because you actually had Win 10 build xxxx, or Win 10 20Hx shit...) And so much for the rationale they had with the "last version" and rolling updates, which was to stop OS fragmentation. Actually, some major Win 10 updates created almost as much fragmentation than having to care about 8.1 and 10, for instance... And, second, their marketing department suddenly seems to have discovered that shipping a new Windows version would create a lot more traction than just indefinitely releasing updates of the same OS version. 2021 guys, we send stuff to Mars, and you discover that releasing a brand new version of some software gets people more excited than just an update?

Anyway, how to run in circles. ;D

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 11:06:22 am »
W10 mess      they have said at one time    ONE Windows to rule them all, past the W7 era,   not a tons of skus variants  sh#%@#$%#  naming  20h1  ....   and too many  releases and borked updates  ppffff

Even playing with the leaked W11   not impressed,  it's like they copied Mac and Nix variants ...

And yes  i have to battle my desire to have a local account, if not a simple Admin account without having something connected over the NET, It's my desire and my choice  not your's Msoft   pfffff

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf